The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Just got an email from Real Gone. Dick's Picks 1 & 36 are available again.

budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  2. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

And preorder for 25 is coming soon!

3. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

I'm finishing up the Kezar Stadium 73' show I started last night. And as you guys mentioned, this is an incredible show! I'm just getting into set 2, up to the fantastic Loser now with Jerry just destroying, and I still have the much anticipated Eyes.

My second show today is going to take me back to visit the Greek in 84' again for the second day in a row. I enjoyed 7/15/84 so much yesterday I've got the matrix of 7/13 cued up for later. The encore Dark Star :)

[​IMG]

I hope everyone is having a wonderful FRIDAY!!! :)

Jason Tenney, JRM, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I usually google grateful dead and the date, like this - 'grateful dead 84-07-15' and then hit the archives link for info
    Then you click "check for other copies" and all available versions is listed

www.archive.org/details/gd1984-07-15.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.96152.sbeok.flac16

There is a Seamons matrix of this show and he's the best guy doing them

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    LUNACHUCK likes this.
  5. Yobbles

Yobbles Forum Resident

That Scarlet>Touch>Fire is so great.

Gonna cue that one up, perfect for a Friday afternoon! :)

Jason Tenney likes this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Save yourself some time and google "archives 1984-07-15", it will leave more time for listening!

7. budwhite

Sometimes it works with just the date :righton:

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

You guys are confusing me ;)

How wouldn I pick out my source from the various that show up online? I may have been less than clear about the show/s I was referring to. A friend sent me a thumb drive with a bunch of hand picked shows (matrix & sbd). I guess I will have to ask him which it was. But regardless it sounds AMAZING! I'm referring to 7/15/83 @ The Greek. :)

9. budwhite

It's a rough guide my friend. If you hear a lot of ambience and audience noice/handclaps but it still got the clearity and punch of a SDB, well then it's most likely a matrix.
    I hope you are feeling good(considering) Chuck, thanks for asking :tiphat:

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Maybe he put some source info in a tag field; in hindsight, I probably don't put enough detail in, but do usually put who mastered it and the year anyway. I know in the past before I paid enough attention to these things I have looked at old mp3 files I had and compared their song times against Archive times, and since those vary pretty widely between masters it can help. I only see 5 available so it should be pretty easy to pin down.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  11. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Thanks guys! Feeling pretty good today. I appreciate you asking. :)

It's for sure not a matrix because I hear very little if any aud bleeding or in the mix. I'm guessing it's just the basic sbd. And it's a glorious one at that! Highly recommend for sound quality and content.

budwhite likes this.
  12. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

5-3-72, Olympia Theatre, Paris
    [​IMG]

I don't trust to nothing
    But I know it come out right

13. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

This Scarlet>Touch>Fire is a wonderful thing :) I agree! :)

Crispy Rob and Jason Tenney like this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm assuming it's Phil that plays the electric baguette on that one, no?

Wait: thumb and three fingers. Who could that be? Jer has thumb and 3 1/2 mingus fingus.

15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what I got on tonight. I'm in 1970 all week.

Cryptical Envelopment >
    Drums >
    Jam >
    Drums >
    The Other One >
    Cryptical Envelopment >
    Dire Wolf
    Dancing In The Streets
    Turn On Your Lovelight > Not Fade Away > Turn On Your Lovelight

[​IMG]

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Looks so innocuous, doesn't it? The listing should be Jam that will melt your teeth and make all your geraniums germanium.

@LUNACHUCK: Have you heard the Playin' from Laguna Seca, 7/29/88? If not, give it a whirl when you've got a moment.

trd, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  17. JRM

Donna's first show!

(in attendance)

US Blues, Jason Tenney and LUNACHUCK like this.
  18. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

SBD is now downloading! THANK YOU for the recommendation!! :)

Archtop likes this.
  19. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the GIANT picture, which is actually from December 1969. I don't know how to reduce the size before posting here. Love the cars, though. Fins to the left...

And you can almost see inside from this angle. In retrospect, after listening to all five of these shows, we don't really need a box of the complete run. I would welcome one, but there are other periods that require attention. L&G will have to do, at least for a while.

One more evening in the run, tonight it's 4/29/71 including the famous Alligator Jam. This Midnight Hour is my favorite Pigpen track of all time, and one of my overall favorites as well.

[​IMG]

Set 1: Truckin', Bertha, It Hurts Me Too, Cumberland Blues-> Me & My Uncle, Bird Song, Playin' In The Band, Loser, Dark Hollow, Hard To Handle, Ripple, Me And Bobby McGee, Casey Jones
    Set 2: Morning Dew, Minglewood Blues, Sugar Magnolia, Black Peter, Beat It On Down The Line, Second That Emotion, Alligator-> Drums-> Alligator-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Cold Rain & Snow, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Greatest Story Ever Told-> Johnny B. Goode, E: Uncle John's Band, E: Midnight Hour*-> We Bid You Good Night*

20. JRM

Cool MGB in the foreground - love those wire wheels :cool:

21. Jason Tenney

Jason Tenney Forum Resident

i'm checking out a 1978 show that i had *totally* forgotten existed - 4/18/78 Pittsburgh Civic Arena...and i am REALLY digging it! this Scarlet Begonias is killer!...and it *doesn't* transition into Fire. set 2: Scarlet Begonias>Dancin' In The Streets>Drums>Samson & Delilah>Terrapin Station>Around & Around E: U.S. Blues...WHAT?! i don't think they ever tried this Scarlet>Dancin' combo again (at least post 3/18/77), but on this night it really works...as the Scarlet jam is winding along they seem to be readying for the transition to Fire, but Weir starts throwing in little Dancin' licks, they slow down a bit and then they go for it! pretty neat sequence...this is nearly 30 minutes of trippy, spacey, disco-ey, groovin' Grateful Dead...so glad i decided to dig through some old racks of GD cds tonight!

JRM, bmoregnr, nitsuj and 4 others like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That Scarlet > Dancin' would have been great filler on either of the Dave's Picks releases from 22 April or 24 April 1978. It does circulate in mp3 form from the "Taper's Section" from the GD website. A whole bunch of SBD material in mp3, but straight from the vault, circulates this way. Despite the lossy format it is often the best sounding source for these board recordings.

JRM and Jason Tenney like this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

24. budwhite

Looking at the pictures from a road trip we did four years ago. Austin '71 is a great soundtrack, road trip release and all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    notesofachord, trd and US Blues like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I thought her first was 10/4/70, but I see that her description of the show (at Winterland and including Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver and the Dead) applies to both the April and October shows.

JRM likes this.