47 Years Ago Today It Happened: Chicago Transit Authority-- 4/28/1969-- Pick 4..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macman

Macman Senior Member

This is such a great, great album and I never tire of it. And it's the only album of theirs that I like.

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Funny how we perceive things. I'm sure you're absolutely right. But for some reason, I always pictured it was Lamm speaking to the audience between songs. I don't know why? It makes more sense the guitarist up front and in the center would. I guess maybe because Lamm wrote the song or something? I dunno.

But now I've got to shift my mental image next time I play the album after having it one way for 40 years.......thanks a lot! lol

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

4. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

But do you like the Japanese version of the song? Pankow said in an interview that the interpreter they used to translate didn't know English very well so the lyrics might have well been "Does This Jar of Peanut Butter Suit You".

5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

A fantastic album with the exception of "Free Form Guitar". My choices were "Introduction", "Questions 67 and 68", "I'm A Man" and "Poem 58".

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Incredible lineup....Introduction a kick you in the face opening tune....

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

LOL. I hadn't read that. Funny. I like the Japanese version so-so because it's interesting, but it certainly sounds like Cetera is reading phonetic syllables!

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

"Introduction" may very well be my all-time favorite Chicago track, period. That's a tough call because I love many of them, but it's always been way way up there for me.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

First Chicago 3....Incredible output musically as well as volume wise..not to mention Carnegie hall 1971

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well, I love the first 3 albums, but they all have some filler for sure. I can do without "An Hour In The Shower". But now? I won't have these albums any other way.

My favorite Chicago album has always been VII. I guess some don't like the jazz instrumentals on side one much, but I think they are great. Not a bad track on that album IMO.

Carnegie Hall I like, but the mix is horrid. I'd love to see Steven Wilson or somebody remix this one for 5.1 just so the horns no longer have to sound like kazoos.

11. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Its on a LP radio show called ROBERT W. MORGAN "The Special of the Week" from 1976 I believe. Its available on EBAY every now and then. A great 1 hour show with several band members. Worth checking out.

videoman likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

hear ya big time...VII is amazing I own 3 nm vinyls. Also I have the 180 gram release of VII....Sounds pretty good to me...

Chicago VII Chicago - Chicago VII - Amazon.com Music »

videoman likes this.
  13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Can't possibly pick just 4.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Don't you think that there are a lot of people who just don't realize how good this album is? I think many see Chicago as a band that had more mellow, MOR rock in the 80s, and they don't give this classic record a chance.

15. Durm

Durm Forum Resident

When their first album came out I thought of them as a fist-in-the-air band with street cred and a great sound. I don't think very many people would have predicted the direction they would take.

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agreed, CTA Kind of gets lost in the album greats of rock..So many great tunes yet never played or recognized enough all the rock elite albums...

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I don't think they topped this one. Can't wait for the quad box coming June 17.
    Bull Moose!
    Chicago Quadio Box »

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

19. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Hmm, I saw CTA open for Hendrix at the Inglewood, Ca. Forum on 4/26/69 just 2 days before that album came out.. When you remember an opening act 47 years later they must have been good. Specifically I can remember them doing "I'm A Man" really nicely. Opening for Hendrix was a great spot for them at that moment. It exposed them to large audiences at just the right moment. As a horn band they fit on the Hendrix bill better than a guitar band that would have been more in direct competition with Hendrix. Audiences could easily appreciate both - and they did.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Interesting story..WOW!!

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Hey Dudley, whatchoo doing lurking in a Chicago thread? :wave:

22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

My top choice is "Listen", so direct, to the point, driving bass...a great tune.
    "South California Purples" also has great riff, features good playing, jamming...good use of horns..
    Interesting that at this time the bulk of the songwriting is by Lamm.
    The cover was also very eye catching, as was the follow up lp all in that shiny chrome.

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I really hope they issue the quad albums individually. Honestly, the later albums hold no interest for me.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Notice in quad box they purposely leave out 10 and 11, so when the next quad set comes out you'll have to get it with the remainder of the Kath material with the less wanted later material..which some of I don't mind

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    ti-triodes likes this.
  25. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

Hard to beat the first 4 songs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.