Best bluetooth powered speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wombat Reynolds, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs. Thread Starter

The wife and I are interested in having some nice bedtime music. I plan on using my Moto G phone, and an app called neutron, to broadcast music via bluetooth.

I cheaped out to see if it would even work, with a low-budget remote speaker thing I bought on Amazon called the DKnight magicbox.

Its ok, pretty good I guess, and it does work (phone-bluetooth-sound from speaker).

I'm thinking there are probably powered-bluetooth-speakers that are worlds better. I've got a bunch of long loops of rain sounds, and these dont sound like rain thru the magicbox, they sound like pure white noise hiss.
    That actually isnt terrible for sleeping, but it would be better if it sounded more like rain. I suspect the lack of low end is causing this.

I saw a Bose thing for about 200 bucks and it looked interesting, but theres no way to try before I buy.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for any replies.

2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

You talking portable? I've got teen kids so I've been through a number of portable Bluetooth speakers and I keep loving the JBL products. No gimmicks to make them "loud" and solid construction. No distortion when cranked and the balance/tone is quite natural.

Of course, there are other less portable and more expensive options by B&W and Marantz.

Art K likes this.
  3. Wombat Reynolds

thanks! Yes probably portable as we're going on vacation and I'd like to be able to take it with us.

Let me look into the JBL stuff.

4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I have an Infinity One and love it. It's a little more rugged than the average Bluetooth speaker so I can take it outside and around barbecues. Sounds pretty good for what it is, and has a legitimate 8 to 10 hour battery life.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'd also suggest the Cambridge Soundworks Oontz. I have the medium size one but they've all gotten good write ups.

6. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I have two Nokia Play 360's. The beautiful thing about them is that they can be "paired" and play stereo. One unit plays the left channel and the other plays the right channel.

I take these things everywhere.

But -- I have no idea if the stereo aspect is important to you -- maybe not.

7. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

I've got the Bose Wave IV & Soundlink III (Soundtouch) systems. They sound sweet to my ears and work with my pc, tablet and smart phone. Keep in mind these are used as "secondary" or portable systems but sound way bigger than they are when needed (kitchen, garage, etc.). Don't listen to the Bose bashers on here, they're excellent choices!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    nightstand68 likes this.
  8. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I love my UE Roll for portability around the house, and pretty good sound too.

russk likes this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Riva.

500Homeruns likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have the non blue tooth version of the Soundmatters foxL speaker and it is very portable so great for trips; and likewise very very accurate sounding. You can crank it enough, but still it does better being accurate more so than loud.

My wife needed one and so I got her a Bose Soundlink Mini and it is also very nice. That one probably makes more sense as a night stand unit, perhaps looking more suitable, and the docking power station is a nice feature; put it there and forget it, lift just the speaker when you need portability. It has a house sound, fatter to bloated say, but all in all very nice and I use it a fair bit as well; this would be better for a gathering of people say because it definitely projects well.

11. Wombat Reynolds

I did a bunch of listening at Best Buy over the weekend (granted, not the best place in the world to listen and compare, but, better than nothing)

the Bose Soundlink Mini had the best overall balanced sound. The JBL was probably second best and it was louder... but loud isnt what we're looking for.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bluetooth is a lossy medium for audio. Even the better of it, which uses the APT-X codec.

Bender Rodriguez and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Did you listen to the Marshall? I like the fact that it looks like an amp.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

For indoor use I don't think you can do much better than the Bose options, although I'd like to hear Riva.

For more portable/rugged use there are many great options. I've got an UE Boom which supports stereo pairing, has very good battery life and solid construction. It's also water/rain resistant. Perfect for camping.

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Read up. The Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker »

I bough the now discontinued UE Mini Boom on The Wirecutter's advice for the house when I sick of hearing music come out of iphone speakers. It still flotas around the house and makes an excellent companion when smoking cigars and drinking bourbon around the fire pit in my friend's back yard.

jfeldt, rainspainplain and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Wombat Reynolds

I never even saw the Marshall. I didnt know they made one.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

It's pretty spendy at $300.

BayouTiger and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

In addition to the JBLs, I have a small Oontz. Probably the most neutral sounding of my portables, but at the risk of sounding like a meathead, I wanted more "loud."

I returned a Skull Candy "Air Raid." Distortion galore and a wonky upper mid-range boost in order to sound too "loud." But you can drop it or bang your head with it if that's your thing.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I've always preferred Soundfreaq speakers.

20. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I prefer my Riva but the Bose isn't band. Did you live anywhere near Roswell Ga for demonstration of the Bose? The store number is
    (678) 494-5040

21. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have Marshall Kilburn, it sounds great and is very useful.

aroney likes this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

From what I have read, Peachtree's Deepblue2 is the go to MP3 speaker/player.

I have not heard one, but I do have many other Peachtree Audio products that I would not hesitate to completely endorse.

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.