Bands you initially dismissed but now love.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Duke Fame, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead.

Scope J and lightbulb like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I couldn't stand the singer in Rush (still can't), but ever since I saw the documentary on the band, I love them as people.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

4. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Taylor Swift

I initially wrote her off as just another modern no-talent, but now I love her! I'm a 46 year old man and proud to be a full-fledged Swiftie! :wave:

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I always loved them, though. :)

6. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I hated the Monkees when I was growing up...now they're one of my favorite groups.

Scope J and Hutch like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

8. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

Sting.
    Tchaikovsky.
    Most 80s music.

Guess I was a dumb child back then, maybe still am...

9. MikesChinHair

MikesChinHair New Member

Metallica and Megadeth... was way too hard for me. (I was more the GnR type)... Now I love both bands although I am still not into metal at all.

10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Radiohead for me too. I didn't so much dismiss them as just miss them... I heard Creep (not often) but wasn't moved.

Over the years they continued to pop up on "top xx album" and "most influential" lists and one night a couple of years ago, I heard "Kid A" in its entirety in headphones and was completely blown away. I have since purchased everything they've released and I am anxiously awaiting the new album.

11. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

1968...8th grade...told a school chum I didn't think Deep Purple was very good. I liked "Hush" but the little bit of other stuff I heard I wasn't too impressed with. Summer of 69...another friend played their 3rd album for me. I fell in love with Deep Purple big time. Then I saw them live in 1971. They were fantastic. Man was I wrong back in 8th grade.

Never cared much at all for the Grateful Dead but on someone else's recommendation whose opinion I respected, I checked out their debut album...very nice. I really like this one!

zen likes this.
  12. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

John Mayall.

13. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

It took me years to get Dylan. Now he's one of my all time favourites.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Beck

Dinosaur Jr

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love now"?
    LOVE !!!

Scope J and DTK like this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

The Band

Scope J and Favre508 like this.
  17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Slade, I was in the T.Rex gang and therefore had to be anti Slade.

18. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

YUKI. I hated her voice at first. It took forever for me to grasp what she was doing.

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

funny, before i heard their music. lars ulrich mentioned them at the grammy awards. he said id like to thank jethro tull for not putting out an album this year... i guess they lost to the them the prior time...

i thought...who is this jethro tull trash that could beat the almighty metallica?...what a joke!

now i see the error of my ways.

SirMarc and lightbulb like this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

My worst transgression was dismissing Bowie at first.

Scope J, lightbulb and Group of One like this.
  21. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

* Kraftwerk.. sounded like 8-bit Nintendo music to me at first, but I love their stuff now.
    * The Beach Boys as well, can't say I like everything they've done, but I think albums like the 'Smile Sessons' and 'Friends' are great.
    * Black Sabbath... thought this was lumpheaded rock at first, but now I really like the first couple of albums

Scope J likes this.
  22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Same here. I was on the (real) Cult bandwagon from the get-go.

Holy Diver likes this.
  23. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Lou Reed / Velvet Underground -- Just took a while too fully "get it". They are one of my favorite bands these days.

Squeeze -- This one bugs me. Many years ago (circa 1987-88) an old girlfriend got Singles 45 And Under on CD. And, of course, I thought it was amazing. Then she got UK Squeeze on CD, and I thought, "Oh, all the good songs were on Singles..." Fast forward to 2014, and I buy Argybargy after becoming a fan of power pop. Within 6 months or so, I am the proud owner of all of Squeeze's studio albums and a huge fan!

There are others, but these are the most embarrassing...

lightbulb likes this.
  24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The B-52's

25. GKH

GKH Senior Member

When I first heard RUSH in the 70's, I didn't like them. It was Geddy's voice. Didn't like his voice. Years later... I guess after hearing 'Signals', that changed. Today; I'm a big fan! I still prefer the later than the 70's music. But; I listen to it, and it was wonderful seeing them in concert during the 'Clockwork Angels' tour. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.