Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Yes, that thread actually led me to get the Cisco in the first place. To be honest I was disappointed., just a very bland re-issue IMO.

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

"True Blue" 33 on BLUE VINYL also:

Tina Brooks - True Blue »

"Tina Brooks - True Blue
    Tina Brooks - True Blue »
    LIMITED EDITION BLUE VINYL - Only 150 pressed: then they're gone forever.
    Cut from the original master tape; pressed at RTI.

Tina Brooks' passionate full sound and forward-looking style, along with his exceptional compositional gifts, made him a powerful force during his prime years. Brooks' star burned with intense brightness for a brief period before disappearing in the same tragic manner of too many other young bop players of the time. Even many of the most dedicated jazz fans missed Brooks' recordings, the best of which were simply extraordinary. A soulful hard bop tenor-saxophonist with an original sound and fresh ideas of his own, Brooks (1932-74) had a brief life. He started out playing with Amos Milburn and Lionel Hampton. The prime of his career was during 1958-61 when he recorded four albums for Blue Note, including his most significant recording, True Blue.

True Blue has long been one of the most sought-after Blue Notes of all time.

Recorded in June, 1960, True Blue showcases Brooks along with the young firebrand trumpeter Freddie Hubbard (in one of his earliest sessions), pianist Duke Jordan, bassist Sam Jones and drummer Art Taylor in a set of highly inventive originals. True Blue gives listeners plenty of proof of Tina Brooks' majestic sound and soulful writing prowess. For many aficionados of the Blue Note label, True Blue is the very essence of the Blue Note sound and feel.

Tina Brooks Freddie Hubbard - Blue Note Records Music Matters Jazz, ‪#‎jazz‬ ‪#‎vinyl‬ ‪#‎limitededition‬ ‪#‎coloredvinyl‬ ‪#‎audiophile‬

LIMITED! EDITION BLUE VINYL"

3. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Hopefully Grant Green on Green vinyl next.

rxcory, PauGasmall and mikeyt like this.
  4. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

NO! Hopefully more titles will be released.

5. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Sorry, I had hoped the group would have recognized that as scathing sarcasm.

MM, Coltrane on Impulse please.

scotth likes this.
  6. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Ah, missed that! Very good.

7. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

My desires say "must by blue vinyls" but my brain says "No, don't do it. $70 and you already have it in black. It's literally just colored vinyl! It sounds the same." So far my brain is winning, but man it's hard...

Mr.Sneis and JoelWat like this.
  8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Been wishing for a high quality 33rpm remaster of Ole - that includes "To Her Ladyship" (the extra track on many CD issues) - for a long time now.

Fender Relic and mikeyt like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I guess its a good way to raise some funds perhaps. But, come on guys, its kind of getting weird.

Plus, everyone knows that Tina should have been royal blue with aqua green splashes.

Now, that I would have bought!

:winkgrin:

scotth likes this.
  10. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- I like the idea. But man, $70. You're paying a premium of $30 just for colored vinyl. Something we all know doesn't cost $30 to produce. It's a great idea in terms of raising funds if they need money to move forward with new albums, but otherwise it's only for the extreme collectors...

David Ellis and scotth like this.
  11. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I have the blue version of Blue Train, but only because the black version wasn't available when I tried to buy it.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I don't think 4500 USD will be a game changer if that was the reason ;-)

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  13. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I have the ORG 2 x 45. It was advertised as Stereo but it sounds like Mono to me.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was kind of being cheeky. While I think colored vinyl is kinda cool, I dont see it as a major or even minor selling point to draw in fans. The fans are wanting new titles. Not red purple and orange swirly colored upteenth version of Something Else.

David Ellis and mikeyt like this.
  15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got both the Blue Vinyl Titles.
    ... as well as their black vinyl counter-parts.

Lay off, man. I have a problem.

PauGasmall and Nathan Aaron like this.
  16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

You have the blue 45 of True Blue. But do you have the new blue 33? I think you need to complete the set. ;)

PauGasmall and Nathan Aaron like this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

:whistle:

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  18. robbbby

robbbby Forum Resident

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think the $30 premium is just for a coloured record. There is probably a huge premium they need to pay RTI for only pressing say 100-150 of a certain record versus 1500-2000.

mpayan likes this.
  19. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Ah jeez, here we go again... Hoping this isn't one of those like Blue Train where I finally "get" it now that they've pressed it on a $70 single LP...

Must. Not. Add. To. Wantlist.

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you read back, I think you will find that these were pressed at the same time as the others.

scotth likes this.
  21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

It's still low volume and you need to redo the production process, QC etc.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dream woke me up. Bored. Lets play the colored vinyl game...

Out To Lunch- Multi colored crazy (Green, Off White, Black speckled spray)

Matador- ( go ahead and do the 33 or did they? idk) Blood Red on black.

Your turns...

mikeyt likes this.
  23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Evolution - pink, of course

mpayan likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Alright BN people, can we discuss Rudy's recording methods?

On a more serious note, since weve argued/covered just about every other jazz related/BN topic.

Any experts here on Rudy's recording process methods? How did he get the sound he wanted? How did he configure the artists? What boards did he use? What unorthodox methods? etc etc...

Steel City likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Here are a couple of tid bits about Rudy Van Gelders studio that in my insommniac state Ive found:

From the Wall Street Journel:

"From the outside, the building that houses Mr. Van Gelder's studio looks like any chocolate-brown suburban home—except there are no windows. Inside, the butterscotch-hued, cathedral-like space features a vaulted ceiling made of laminated Douglas-fir arches and cedar planks, giving the room a Scandinavian feel. Snap your fingers or talk, and the sound appears to hang in the air momentarily, as if the rafters were evaluating the sonic quality before letting it go."

Rudy on the Hammond organ that all the BN jazz organists played on: "People would be surprised to know that the organ is a C-3 not a B-3" (paraphrased)

Couple of more tidbits:

Rudy Van Gelder on mics: (paraphrased) "Some people look at a picture of musicians playing their instruments and see the expression and instrument. I see the mics and what kind they are using"

Mr Van Gelder was obsessed with mics, he stated.

"But I'll tell you this," he said, seated in his studio's long control room. "I used Neumann Condenser mikes before anyone else did. I bought one of the first ones sold here. They were extremely sensitive and warm-sounding."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    rxcory likes this.