Concord Records - Selling Cdr's As Cd's? What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought four Mel Torme cd's on Concord from Blowitoutahere via Ebay. Three of them came wrapped in cellophane with the security strip across the top. The fourth one, In The Studio and In Concert was wrapped in shrinkwrap with no security strip. When I opened it I found 2 cdr's inside. The labels look professional and the booklet looks brand new. I don't think someone bought this set and pulled a switcheroo. It looks like Concord is selling cdr's. The cd case has the compact disc logo on it. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Is the CD on sale at Amazon, and if so, is it identified as a CD-R? There's usually much more by way of product description there than at eBay.... Overall, if true not a good development.

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Got my first CDR in an order I placed with ImportCDs yesterday. I sent them a long email about why they didn't list it as such on their web site and here's what I got back from them:

"We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. If you decide within 30 days that you do not want the product you purchased, you may return it for a refund as long as it is unopened and in its original packaging."

http://www.importcds.com/harlem-bush-music/025218471121

The CD in question is:
    [​IMG]

4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Perfect, as long as you don't open it, you can send it back...makes a lot of sense. :cussing:

5. Electric

Makes me wonder if they even read my email or just saw that it was a complaint of some kind and responded with a cut and paste? :realmad:

Coricama likes this.
  6. Electric

Finally:

Thank you for contacting Importcds!
    You may dispose of the item and we have issued a one time courtesy refund for the cost of the item and applicable shipping charges.
    Again, thank you for writing Importcds. We appreciate your business.

:)

melstapler likes this.
  7. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I also received Harlem Bush Music as a CD-R when I ordered it from ImportCDs in 2014.

I and others have shared our experiences in this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ng-re-pressed-as-cd-rs-list-them-here.444883/

Electric likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I had been lucky up until now. Just got a Mavis Staples and a Big Country BBC set that are CDRs. I can't believe they do this. :thumbsdow

9. Dennis Metz

I often think that's what happens. :cheers:

10. Dennis Metz

I just got my second Warner Archives CDR. I hate when the Amazon listing makes no mention that it is a CDR.

melstapler likes this.
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Very frustrating Dennis indeed!

12. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

OH DEAR LORD! That's the stupidest response ever from ImportCDs! I'm familiar with ImportCDs, and have purchased from them on numerous occasions. They are often quite competitive in their pricing, and I've always been satisfied. However, I agree that it should be noted in the description if it's a CD-R. Kudos to Amazon for noting their item descriptions appropriately.

Recently I bought "Beautiful People - The Greatest Hits Of Melanie". The Amazon description states, "When sold by Amazon.com, this product will be manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply." I bought the exact same offering from MovieMars and received a genuine silver CD.

13. Dennis Metz

Import CDs is the worst when this happens. Everything is because of the barcode and The Amazon listing. :cheers:

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Same here. I've been "burned" by a couple of those Warner Archives CD-R titles and yet it's common knowledge the original pressings were actual replicated CDs. Very frustrating.

15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although it's more common on Amazon, I've received CDs from eBay as well. Some of these labels are re-pressing titles as CD-R instead of replicated CD. The sellers and their buyers are unaware that the sealed titles being shipped are CD-R, which means the sellers and buyers are both being victimized. You have buyers who automatically blame the sellers when it's the actual labels who are knowingly shipping CD-R titles into CD distribution.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  16. Joy-of-radio

WOW! So I wanted to expand my collection of Jim Stafford songs, so I sought his "Greatest Hits" CD. The Amazon description stated that it was produced on demand and distributed as a CD-R. Well, I placed my order through MovieMars-CDs instead expecting a real silver CD, but I was sent a CD-R. This really surprised me because the release was originally issued by CURB Records in the late 90s. On the positive side, the mastering appears flat with no apparent compression beyond what was originally intended.

A bit off topic, but I bought Jim Stafford's self-titled album on CD issued by RPM (Cherry Red), and was disappointed with its sound. The dynamics were squashed... Very fatiguing to the ears. I tossed the damned thing in the garbage can and promptly gave it a one-star Amazon review based on its annoyingly loud and compressed sound.

17. Joy-of-radio

True that. I recently got a CD-R shipped from MovieMars-CDs, and I knew it wasn't their fault. I don't necessarily mind moving on to digital downloads if they came with lossless files and high-resolution digital images and notes. This loudness problem is still ongoing and really pissing me off though, but I digress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.