Prince and Bowie: Compare and Contrast

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slideroni, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I'm not sure how I'd compare them, but the afterlife is probably a pretty colorful place now, with the both of them up there. I wonder who has the better afterlife garment? I think Prince had better outfits here on earth. Maybe they're arguing about that.

bluejeanbaby, Bowieboy and Purple Jim like this.
  2. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Thoughtful, well articulated opinion. You've brought a lot of value to this discussion. Thanks!

3. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Not sure if it's his best album but it's fantastic. I'm gonna say that Blackstar is the best song he ever made

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It's a pretty good album. I was incredibly impressed during my first listen but I haven't been able to return to it since his death. :sigh:

chronic kebab and davesmoked like this.
  5. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

I can't compare & contrast because they are both very different.

6. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

I think Bowie and Prince are more alike than people realize. Both were true to themselves. Both were highly audacious. Both were highly influential to current and future artists and musicians. Both taught us to try and be ourselves. I think Bowie did it by embracing these outsider characters, but Prince did it by always being himself. I'm more knowledgeable about Prince in this aspect. Prince was very comfortable trying to say 'this is who I am, look how much fun it could be if you tried to be yourself'.

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Bowie was Prince of the 70's and Prince was Bowie of the 80's..... now who is there after Prince?

Bowie turned down a knighthood (twice I believe) and Prince didn't need one, not with being called Prince and all that! o_O

EVOLVIST and JoeF. like this.
  8. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

It isn't his last album, HITNRUN Phase 2 was. And it was certainly one of the better ones of the past 2 decades. But I agree, we'll never call it his best album.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Prince and Bowie: Compare and Contrast

10. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

listened to it twice before he died, loved it, then had to wait 2 months before I could touch it again. It takes on a whole new meaning. Lyrically the whole thing is incredible.

JoeF. and JohnnyQuest like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Each had their decades.
    Bowie '70s
    Prince '80s

scobb likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lots of parallels are given here. They definitely had a lot in common.
    Prince was the ultimate multi-talented artist, excelling as a guitarist, pianist, bassist, drummer, songwriter, arranger, producer, dancer,...

13. Scarecrow Barrett

Scarecrow Barrett New Member

I'd have to disagree with most of the above, and say, apples and oranges.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Two geniuses. Both sadly missed as they had so much more to give. Nothing more to say.

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Bowie was more of a British rock icon like The Beatles, Prince was more of a funk musician like James Brown.

Bowie wrote more about science fiction and the occult, Prince wrote more about sex.

Bowie was known for drastically changing his musical styles, Prince stayed within the soul, funk vein.

Bowie did not seem to have a traditional religious outlook or belief, Prince became a devout Jehovah's Witness.

JoeWild likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

cheese and chalk or chalk and cheese, whichever way you look at it.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Both were important to the Gay rights struggle.
    Both were incredibly talented.
    Prince was a better musician, but Bowie was a better vocal stylist.
    there are more Bowie albums I love than Prince albums, however that has a lot to do with Prince's 80's production style which really doesn't appeal to me too much (but I dearly love Dirty Rain and Purple Mind:)
    Bowie wears a dress on an album cover in 1970. That bold move alone should be awarded repeatedly and worshipped.
    Prince sings about Nikki and Tipper goes nuclear so that should get awards too.
    Neither appeal to me in their later years but the golden age was so entertaining, I can forgive just about anything.

18. Michael Jackson....Bad
    :righton:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  19. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

For myself, I am a huge music fan across multiple genres and I was a fan of both Bowie and Prince. Both were immense talents and both will be missed.
    The biggest difference for me is the affect their deaths had on me as a fan.
    The Bowie death resonated with me for weeks, and while I travelled to the UK in March for business, I wanted to see the Bowie Mural in Brixton which I did.
    The Glenn Frey death, also an Eagles fan was a bummer but not the same effect as the Bowie death.
    The Prince death was a true downer as well, considering that I am 52 and 57 is way too young. However sad the death though, it did not hit as hard as Bowie's. I did crank up Purple Rain on my FiiO X5 in 192/24 while driving around in his honour. I will miss his Royal Purpleness.

20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Both had vice presidents named Johnson

EVOLVIST, JoeF. and 905 like this.
  21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Surely that's where the 'contrast' part of the equation factors in?

ARK, olsen and daveidmarx like this.
  22. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Over the years, perhaps due to my age, Prince has meant more to me, but I love Bowie's music as well. Two supreme talents who left beyond vast, complex and sometimes inconsistent bodies of work. Lots of great music left behind to explore, enjoy and discuss. They both will be missed.

23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Johhny B - Goode

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  24. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

What is the point? This will just descend into Bowie is better or Prince is better blah blah blah.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  25. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Well-Known Member

Larger than life persona, showmanship, musicianship and all that jazz...forget about it, let's just focus on the music. Both were unique, highly original and innovative. However, I think it's more difficult to be groundbreaking in the soul/funk genre than in rock since the former is a more rigid artform. Probably the reason there are more innovative artists in rock than in soul or funk or blues. I think a rare breed like Prince only comes once in a lifetime....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.