Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just have to get this off my chest -
    The other morning I popped into a local market to grab some juice.
    They were piping 70's pop music overhead; perhaps they garner more sales on veggies when playing Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.
    "Have You Never Been Mellow" came on (of course I think of this forum)!
    As I was absorbed by the melodious lilting of Olivia, I floated over to the asparagus aisle.

Then, just as the chorus began, the music switched over to something more contemporary!
    :( :cussing: :( :realmad: :( :cussing: :( :realmad: :( :mudscrying:

(Sorry for the thread-crank)

John-Adam likes this.
  2. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

That's a tough one. Pretty much all her MCA catalog from Mellow through Physical is well-produced. John Farrar was on a really hot streak, creating albums that didn't sound like anything else out there. He knew how to feature Olivia perfectly without resorting to the gimmicky production techniques that resulted in so many dated-sounding, overproduced albums of the "disco" era.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Totally Hot, simply because the production on that album really bridged the gap between Olivia's country/easy listening sound of the '70s and the harder-edged, new-wave-influenced sound of the early '80s. It bridged the gap in Olivia's post-Grease image as well with a more cutting-edge sound.

John-Adam likes this.
  3. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

Know what David, I think you might of hit the nail right on the head! I really agree with you and never put it into that "perspective before." Thanks for sharing that! :)

4. Qtez

Qtez Member

Albums: first three, namely Olivia Newton-John, Olivia & MMMD.
    Singles: Love Song, Banks of The Ohio & Sam.
    Of course there are too many other songs!

John-Adam likes this.
  5. Qtez

Qtez Member

I must add the 80's version...
    You Made Me Love You (sorry, it's a B side.) Take A Chance & Soul Kiss.
    That album is not my favorite (sorry...) but the title song is excellent. Of course there are also many other great songs.

6. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

"Soul Kiss" is an interesting song. I really wonder if it would of fared better if we didn't have the video and the album cover shots imbedded in our brains. Some people didn't like the images of Olivia, but if you listen to the music, it really wasn't all bad.

John Farrar produced many of Olivia's best performances. We all wish that would have continued, but sometimes teams just get burned out. But look at Elton John and Bernie Taupin. They are back to writing some really great material [again.] Maybe John and Olivia will rekindle some of that "Magic" again, if they have any interest in doing that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Qtez

Qtez Member

Hi, I'm a Sorry Qtez. always apologizing these days. :D
    That album is Soul Kiss.
    For many people JF is a composer and producer of ONJ, but for me he's rather a great vocalist and great guitar player. I was taught the greatness of Martin acoustics & telecaster.
    Few years ago she came to Japan and sang 'Soul Kiss'. The bass player was Gail Ann Dorsey!

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Listened to "Sam" the other night, first time in ages. A beautiful song and one of ONJ's best singles.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

And "Sam" could be short for Samantha!

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Qtez

Qtez Member

I've believed that Sam is such a moving song. I'm not a native English user, so I can't understand the subtle meaning or slangs.
    Anyway I love Livvy's Sam. It's a great song!

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

"Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha", as one of Olivia's friends would put it.

Bobby Morrow and Qtez like this.
  12. Qtez

Qtez Member

And probably you've already known that Back To Basics albums includes an another track of Sam, that is, that album includes a remixed Sam.
    That's a greater version, I believe. Of course I also respect the original version.
    As to "Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha", I love that song! Sir Cliff did sang that song in my motherland many years ago!
    And as always thanks to Jarleboy, I can't help crying when I listen to Janis Ian, her early song is so sad for me.

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Sir, you have got an excellent taste in music. :wave: Olivia, Cliff and Janis Ian are among my favourites. The first two may not have the most profound songs in their catalogue, but I have a lot of respect for both of them. For me, Janis Ian is beyond reproach, more or less. A true artist.

Bobby Morrow and Qtez like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Unless John Farrar can write a load of healing songs, I doubt Olivia would be interested.:D

15. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Not to mention the fact that one of the last songs they did together was "I Think You Might Like It," which wasn't exactly their best...

John-Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

It was catchy enough, but you think of that awful video when you hear it.

17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It was awful. I think I don't like it.

David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Has there been anything leaked from the new album yet?

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I've been looking, but I haven't found anything yet. I want so much to be pleasantly surprised by this album, but I'm trying to keep expectations low, so it's probably best if I don't hear any of it before I buy it...

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I've been looking, but I haven't found anything yet. I want so much to be pleasantly surprised by this album, but I'm trying to keep expectations low, so it's probably best if I don't hear any of it before I buy it...

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Well, it's out in about 5 weeks so I expect a 'single' anytime now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Pizza

You think there will be a single? I think she'll push the album rather than a song. I'm keeping my expectations low on this one.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Not a single in the old sense, but perhaps a song she'll use to promote it. I'm not expecting much either. She seems very excited about the album but she's been wrong a lot in the last 30 years.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Pizza

She has never seemed to be in solid control of her career. There's a fine line between doing what you want and doing what you need.

At least now she can do whatever she wants. There are no expectations or pressures. Fans will buy the product no matter what . . . unless it's a new Christmas album. ;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

It makes you realise how important people like Lee Kramer and Roger Davies were. After they jumped ship it kind of all went to hell.

As for the new album, it's one I'll be checking out on Spotify first (if they have it). Aside from Hotel Sessions I haven't bought any new product from Olivia since Celebration In Song. I can't see that changing either..

Jarleboy and Pizza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.