What's your opinion on the first two Voivod albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_TagoMago, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member Thread Starter

War and Pain and RRROOOAAAARRRR both seem to get rather mixed opinions so I felt like asking. With RRROOOAAAARRRR especially people either think it's absolute garbage or a masterpiece. While not on par with the likes of Killing Technology, Deminsion Hatross, Nothingface, or The Outer Limits I think both of the first 2 albums are solid but truth be told the demo versions of the tracks on To the death... were much superior.

2. Mr_TagoMago

3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I love them and saw them for the first time on the Roar tour. They warmed up for Celtic Frost and did two shows, all ages and the night show.
    I attended both and posted a few pictures somewhere here. If ever there was a record that needed to be remixed its Roar. A wonderful album
    destroyed by the mix and production. I guess it pissed off the band as well.

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I think those first two albums are on par with the others. I partied with these guys a few times and they were great.
    It was funny to see there english get better as the years went by. Piggy was a real sweet heart and I wept for him his family
    and the band when he passed. One of the most original guitarist on the scene at the time.

mastaflatch likes this.
  5. Mr_TagoMago

If I may be so bold to say I think Piggy was the greatest guitarist in all of Thrash and prog metal.

mastaflatch and troyvod like this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Not sure about greatest I mean how do you pick? but he was great and had a wonderful tone.

7. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

I avoivoded their 2nd

Stefano G. likes this.
  8. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Definitely solid, yes and I like both ... there are some great tracks on both and a glimpse of what was to come ... but for me Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross is their absolute best period.

Not heard the demo versions so definitely will investigate.

I still listen to their first 6 or so albums quite regularly and also like their most recent output.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Mr_TagoMago

I can't think of any other Thrash guitarists who had such a great sounding and brilliantly unique sound.

On the To the death demo they sound more energetic and the vocals seem more refined. Also the first 6? What's wrong with The Outer Limits?

10. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

Solid, but when i first heard War and Pain in early 86 i thought it was terrible. It wasn't until Killing Technology i jumped on board then worked my way back. Piggy was certainly a very original guitarist especially in the thrash genre. i actually don't think they've done a bad album. Some average ones, but not bad.

11. Mr_TagoMago

Compared to most metal bands from that time I think they've done a better job at staying relevant over the years as they still seem to put out some really strong albums. I think rather than making bad albums a lot of their stuff falls into the acquired taste category.

12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Liked War and Pain, loved RRROOOAAAARRRR which was the first I heard and bought.

13. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Well my Voivod experience kind of stopped at Angel Rat ... at the time of release I didn't really like Nothingface or Angel Rat ... then over the last few years they have grown on me.

So I started buying the rest of the catalog. I still have gaps and only very recently bought The Outer Limits (literally the last few weeks) and to be honest I have not yet given it a serious listening.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I liked Nothingface when it came out. That is about it for me.

15. Mr_TagoMago

Oh well it's really impressive especially Jack Luminous imo.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Learning their craft that's how I look at the first two, they really started to hit their stride with Killing Technology and then....WOW.

Kim Olesen and ArpMoog like this.
  17. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Legend has it (In Finland) that the mail order store selling metal albums in the early eighties sent a written note to everyone ordering "War and Pain" together with the LP how they should proceed if they wanted to return it since the seller supposedly anticipated a lot of returns coming in. :) I dug War and Pain from the start & RoooaaRrrr great albums. Currently rebuilding my CD collection, I have "The Outer Limits" with 3D glasses & a 90's US repress of War & Pain, hesitating to take the plunge on "Dimession Hatross" & Killing Technologies" for a total of 25€ including shipping. Do I have this stuff as FLAC already? yes but little does it matter, it's Voivod.

ArpMoog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.