Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

2. Apples and oranges, yes, Prince and Bowie, yet they were both fruits (ummm...that sounded weird, but you know what I mean, like apples and oranges).

I'm still getting used to a world without Bowie. It's difficult. I believe the main difference between Prince and Bowie is that Prince was far more of a genius, if there is a such things as a "genius" in the rock/pop/R&B/funk/soul genres...musically, that is. What Prince lacked that Bowie had was the desire to change up his whole persona, both in appearance, and musically, album by album. I'm sure Prince could have done it if he wanted to, but Prince did several genres very well, and he sort of stuck to that, which was his roots. We can say Prince pulled a big switcheroo between Purple Rain and Around the World in a Day, but it was nothing as drastic as Bowie did between The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans, Station to Station, the Berlin Trilogy, and into Let's Dance and beyond.

Prince, on the other hand, invented a whole "sound," the "Minneapolis Sound," which not many artists can be credited as singlehandedly creating a whole new sub-genre, all by themselves. Prince riffed on that, successfully, for 40 years, bending his own rules, making people dance, creating brilliant songs, amassing a larger catalog than any other artist in the history of pop music, all the while being the biggest multi-instrumentalist the world has ever known.

Yes, apples and oranges. I dislike living in a world without apples and oranges.

TonyCzar and zebop like this.
  3. Lucas..

Lucas.. Forum Resident

Lucky everyone who saw Prince live. He came once to Brazil, in 1991. I wasn't even born. In 2011 he was scheduled to perform at a festival in Rio. I got the tickets but he cancelled few days before the show. :shake: So frustrating.

Rock in Rio II, 1991

4. Is that one on the right Miki Free?

[​IMG]

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

Lol she's ugly and hot at the same time.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

It's not surprising to me either. But ironically, probably 50 of the pages on this thread are posts about how the Prince thread is getting more replies than the Bowie thread.

sunspot42 and bob60 like this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

@Thom @zebop I'm diggin his SOTT look. The thin rimmed glasses,the peach garments,and pimp attire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JL7, Dflow, Thom and 1 other person like this.
  8. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Very cool. I like the fourth pic with the glasses and the guitar face, ha.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

He understands that image plays a huge part in the allure of an artist. The whole Camille sound is very peachy.
    That color fits the character and mood of the music perfectly. :thumbsup: Trust me, eat some peach yogurt and listen to SOTT and you'll get what I'm saying.

ippudo, zebop and Thom like this.
  10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Not a total fan of the pimp gear, or the superfly '70s look. But hey, it's Prince, he looks cool in anything (... even that coat, which he also wears in the "U Got The Look" video). :cool:

JohnnyQuest and zebop like this.
  11. moops

moops Senior Member

Not sure we really need this to turn into a Prince vs Bowie thread. It will probably deteriorate into a slanging match which will just ruin what has been taking place here since Prince passed away.
    Isn't it enough to just marvel at who they both were and what they left for us to enjoy and leave it at that ?

keyXVII, Freek999, Nostaljack and 8 others like this.
  12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Ha, that's awesome. Peach yoghurt and SOTT, huh? I'm going to have to try that combo. I'm anticipating it's going to be like a revelation that alters my thinking on that album completely. :faint:

zebop and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Okay, Mr. Hyperbole...:doh:

...3 posts?

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Ha, I just might try this. Prince is a very synesthesic artist more often than not the cover art and image of a certain time matched the music.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They were a lot alike. Bowie and Prince. Both were masters at amalgamation (that would have made a good title for a Prince song/album) of different genres. They both made massive creative changes throughout their career. They both sounded like everyone yet absolutely unique. Both prolific writers. Both had that androgenous thing they were doing. Both introduced very risquè behaviors on stage. Both had perfectionistic tendencies. Both knew instinctually the time they lived in and how they would leave their marks in a way no one else had. They were both genius at their crafts. Both mysterious creatures. Yet both beloved.

No need to pit them against each other. They were more alike than different.

16. JohnnyQuest

I know it sounds weird but you have to try it. They go together quite well. Prince must've had some Yoplait during his studio sessions or something because the music came out very peachy. :D It will!
    It's fascinating how music can relate so much to colors and scenery. It's all vibes,moods and atmosphere, man! Lovesexy came to me in a pastel colored dream. (Glam Slam was the background music)
    Now I can't even listen to the album without visualizing a place similar to this.
    [​IMG]

Thom and driverdrummer like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

By the standard he had set for his albums in the 80s, it was a letdown in terms of sales, and the tour was worse. He went way over budget.

Personally, I think the album is on the same level as "Around The World In A Day", and I like them both.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Lovesexy tour program FTW!
    Paisley Park for teh sadz.

ObHappyTimes: Cat autographed my Lovesexy ticket stub.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The average age of the active SHF member is skewing younger, too.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

OMG, "17 Days" out of the gate! Yesssss...

Nostaljack, George P and Jimmy Agates like this.
  21. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

a curious performance - almost unrehearsed, yet completely choreographed. The opening song is clunky, "Horny Pony" is clunky, no wonder they were dropped from both the ensuing tour and the album Diamonds and Pearls. It must have been hellish for the band to be dancing around and playing in all those clothes in Brazil weather.

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Today I went and downloaded a heap of Prince tracks - with the exception of ATWIAD I've never listened to his albums and even many of the singles

Tonight I listened to The Beautiful Ones - awesome

Dan Steely likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

A bigger imprint on the culture that is currently at the helm of mainstream media.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

25. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Me & you both, Grant. These are my top two Prince favorites