I Feel Fine Drums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alex D., Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olsen

olsen Senior Member

I didn't criticize at all. Just said it's strange:). There is a difference! And my reference to "I Can't Explain", which has been corroborated all the way up to Pete T, was met with such an uproar that the Who's album by album thread almost shut down before it began.

Based on my many years in the recording studio, there is nothing irrational about saying "hey that doesn't sound quite like Ringo, to me" and it doesn't call for an outcry:)

Aftermath and Alex D. like this.
  2. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, the people who say "obviously, it's Ringo" have put forth a LOT of false "evidence." Just sayin'.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Jimmy Page was a UK session musician. There's no particular reason to doubt he played on I Can't Explain, just as there's no particular reason to doubt Andy White played on Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You.

I Feel Fine is quite a different story, however.

Onder and Mister Charlie like this.
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Correct, I should have been more clear - attempts at an edit piece.

5. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but if you've seen the Beatles 1 video of "I Feel Fine," Ringo is on an exercise bike the entire time.

The Elephant Man and olsen like this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yep, another evidence that somebody else was playing the drums!

;)

and of course...

[​IMG]

7. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Anyway there's the other mystery of the two sets of drum tracks on "I Am The Walrus" and "Lady Madonna".,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Alex D.

Sorry, I was responding to czeskleba. I should have quoted.

9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Where's the "mystery" behind them?
    I Am the Walrus had extra drums, mostly just the snare, overdubbed on the same track as Paul's bass.
    Lady Madonna has the original drums played with brushes and the overdubbed part played normally.
    Nothing unknown there.

Onder and lukpac like this.
  10. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Yep it's Starr---and his reentry after everyone drops except guitar is one of THE greatest drum intervals I've ever heard!

gja586 and Aftermath like this.
  11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It would be cool if someone swapped the drums in I Feel Fine with I Feel Free.

olsen likes this.
  12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The drums on "Lady Madonna" are playing two completely different parts. The brushed drums are playing at one tempe, the "rock" drums are playing at a half-time tempo. It was a deliberate attempt at combining two different drum grooves.

13. ShockControl

The beats the notes are placed on is also important. Hence my comment about the bass dragging down the groove rather than propelling it.

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

It was pretty clear by the second page the OP is trolling. That said, Ringo's playing on "IFF" & "Thank You Girl" is solid, as usual . . . he always changed things up take to take and live as well.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    marcb likes this.
  15. Alex D.

Who's more likely to be the troll? The one that uses his real name, age and location or the one who doesn't? The one who has conversations enabled or the one who doesn't? The one who brings up factual information with thoughtful commentary or the one who is vague and dodging simple questions?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  16. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

Certainly. I just think the simple bass landing on 1 and 3 locks the pulse down nicely while the drum pattern plays around that. I can't think of a better way to approach it. But I can think of a worse way, which is the flip side of the single. On She's a woman Paul doesn't necessarily stick to the 1/5 pattern and consequently the baseline feels a little aimless in places and the groove inconsistent. In my opinion, at least. :)

17. ShockControl

The tumbao bass pattern has historically gone with that rhythm.

Alex D. likes this.
  18. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

That's true but it's probably not the most obvious choice for a rock/pop tune. And who's to say they didn't try something like that but just didn't go in that direction. We'll never know.

But maybe I should rephrase what I said. Instead of "I can't think of a better way" I should say "I'm conditioned to think that that's the only way". I learned to love the Beatles stuff way before I had any ability to dissect songs or recordings (not that I have any great abilities now) and appreciated them as they were/are. Then when you actually do take things apart a bit, you realize that stuff that you considered magic sometimes consist of very simple elements. So the magic is probably somewhere in the sum of its parts rather than individual parts. Too close a scrutiny can sometimes reveal the seams and then you'd wish you kept looking from a distance. :)

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Like knowing precisely where the two versions of Strawberry Fields Forever are edited together.

20. ShockControl

I get what you're saying. As for me, I am one in a long line of gringos (including the esteemed Cal Tjader and Les Baxter) who at an impressionable point fell in love with Afro-Cuban and Brazilian rhythms and never looked back. At around the same time, I had found that I had largely outgrown the pop music of my youth.

It was only years later that I realized how many rock drum-kit rhythms are actually drum kit reductions of patterns played by Latin percussion sections. So now, when I hear the rock music of my youth, I am hearing it as badly played Latin music, rather than competently played rock music. ;) So I am approaching it from a different standpoint. Still, whenever "I Feel Fine," comes on the radio, I hear that killer opening guitar riff, and when the band kicks in, I am just dying to hear a conga with an acoustic bass playing a tumbao.

Thank you for indulging my diversion. Now, back to discussion about Bernard Purdie's drumming on "I Feel Fine." ;)

monotone and Alex D. like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Never thought of that before. Imagine if they had hired a killer percussian section to play along with them.

22. olsen

olsen Senior Member

My point is, that corroborated and very plausible "Can't Explain" story for some reason story got emotional and defensive pushbacks from several Pete "fans" on this board. Likewise here, this bit of simple curiosity was greeted with "are you kidding me", "where's your evidence?" and "how dare you impugne Ringo's skills?" It was a question related to style, not skill.

If we didn't already know the backstory of "Back in the USSR" golly, how would THAT query go? :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Alex D. likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The point is, Ringo not playing on I Feel Fine is neither corroborated nor plausible.

Aftermath likes this.
  24. Kim Olesen

The difference is that Ringo NEVER made any secret of which tracks he did not play on.

25. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

You made me look at youtube. Quick search brought only this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.