For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'm ready for any of the labels to call me to go through their archive for them.

Marzz, melstapler and Hutch like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My newest country CD I got used is Paul Overstreet's Sowin' Love.

melstapler and dryce like this.
  3. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found these on eBay and made an offer to the seller for $120 for both....he accepted. Description said they were "like new." They just showed up, and they were both sealed.

4. The Killer

Finally snagged a copy.

[​IMG]

Svein Arne, Marzz, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This came in the mail today. Import cds has them pretty cheap (via amazon.com) right now...

[​IMG]

Svein Arne, Devon, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Was browsing their catalog just the other day, and that Jan Howard CD I posted is from them. The sound is indeed a bit muddy in spots and their use of postage stamp-sized cartoon clip art on the back cover is a travesty, but you can tell their heart is in it. They also offer a lot of Canadian (as well as British, Australian, and New Zealand) country dating back as far as the 30's, which is very neat.

Marzz, melstapler and The Killer like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

a modern acquisition on pretty blue vinyl :wiggle:
    [​IMG]

8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I checked today and it looks as though I have several titles from this label. The 3 Leon Payne compilations contain some excellent rare recordings and it baffles me as to why Bear Family didn't tackle such a project beyond the excellent single disc compilation of Capitol material they released. Many fans weren't even aware that some of these recordings existed and thankfully, these discs help to document history by proving he did in fact record his own versions of several songs, including 'Lost Highway.' Although Leon passed away in 1969, his kids remain very active in preserving his legacy as an artist and a songwriter. I know that there are a number of recordings in the family's possession, but they would be able to provide specific details.

GodBlessTinyTim and The Killer like this.
  9. melstapler

Honestly, I don't know much about the marketing angle of things, but it certainly seems as though the general public will seek out what they know is available and easily accessible. If consumers are aware that something great exists, they usually do become converts. I hate to use this example, but the recent death of Merle Haggard has certainly helped to expose his music to younger generations and newer audiences who hadn't previously pursued his songs and albums.

The Killer likes this.
  10. melstapler

Definitely. Lots of excellent rare and practically "lost" recordings by a variety of artists. The Jan Howard disc contains some excellent songs from the prime of her 60s output. As you mentioned, the sound quality is a mixed bag and it's more noticeable on some songs than others. However, I don't know of any other labels who have given Jan's back catalog proper representation and the later re-recordings she did weren't nearly as enjoyable.

11. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Not exactly my latest acquisition and I was probably late to the game, but I'm spinning and really enjoying it again, Dale Watson's "The Truckin' Sessions Trilogy".

David Sanger's "Songs of Route 66" three CD series led me to it.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just ordered Carrie Underwood's Storyteller on vinyl.

13. The Killer

Billy Mize CD arrived. Good stuff. I see it's got a cut of My Elusive Dreams on it, Billy Sherrill must've been involved then, he wanted everyone to record that song as he's got a co-write.

36 tracks in total, makes you wonder when you see those 3 CD sets with only 12 tracks on each one.

melstapler likes this.
  14. melstapler

David Sanger's Lazy SOB label is excellent. Check out The Lucky Strikes, an excellent band on his label.

15. Keepin an eye on the new country artists. Took a chance on Margo Price's debut solo album. Hopefully it's as satisfying as Shonna Tucker and Nikki Lane's albums. I also ordered Tanya Tucker's box set for the handful of unreleased tracks.

16. melstapler

Very nice. Several of those unreleased tracks on the Tanya Tucker 4CD box set released by Capitol are exclusive to that collection. There are multiple live Tanya CDs in circulation, can you recommend any of those off the top of your head? I have the "Live At Billy Bob's" disc, but it leaves off just as many songs as it includes. Sadly, that's the case for most of the live albums in that series, with the exception of the satisfying Gary Stewart and Merle Haggard discs.

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Merle Haggard-Down Every Road

18. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I posted on page 1 of this thread about my most recent country music acquisitions. Well, I finally got my mail order from the UK with the 2-fer of Hag and Let Me Tell You About a Song. I'd never heard the full-length album, only the hit songs. A buddy of mine said he found the between song patter tedious. I'm the opposite, I'm a sucker for between-song narration by my favorite country artists... Johnny Cash's Ride This Train is just a thrill, I think. Similarly, I found Merle's evocations very compelling, particularly the ones that preceded "Irma Jackson" and "The Funeral", the latter of which was startling to me the way Merle sounded like he was off script, totally speaking from the heart, in the moment.

19. The Killer

Just picked up a cheap copy of Carlene Carter's album 'Stronger' from a few years back, seem to have lost my first copy. Didn't get great reviews at the time which is a shame because I think it's a strong record, good songs and CC sounds great.

Beattles and melstapler like this.
  20. I like the Live 1981 CD. Short on songs but good sounding set in the 80s Honky Tonks.

21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Came in for me as well. Very sophisticated arrangements and delivery, it's no wonder he hosted a TV show. Just too bad he mostly performed covers on Melody Ranch since his originals are the real standouts.

Hope you didn't have to take out a second mortgage for it.

The Killer likes this.
  22. The Killer

I got straight onto the Mize website and ordered the Make It Rain CD as recommended by @melstapler. Great steel player too, never seen anyone else play it standing!

melstapler likes this.
  23. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

[​IMG]

Actually listening to it on my commute right now.

Marzz and Hutch like this.
  24. He opened for Dar Williams last year.

Duke Fame likes this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Most of my country listening is stuff that I discover in a back asswards manner since I'm not really a fan of your typical top 40 country music. I discovered Lauderdale about 12 years ago from seeing him perform on the Gram Parsons tribute concert with Keith Richards. Which is kinda funny considering I discovered Gram Parsons because of Keith Richards. Have no idea who Dar Williams is, but if he's of similar quality to Jim I'd probably like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.