Elton John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I would have clicked an option "essential listening, albeit not my favorite". I am really enjoying his current album, in fact it seems like he's been on a winning streak for about six albums.

2. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

i have lots of respect for him and Taupin but he does have 1 of my "top 10 songs that if its on I have to shut it down or leave immediately"

candle in the wind...:ignore:

Roberto899 likes this.
  3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

A big Nay from me. I was in a band that played 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting'. It was well liked by punters but I hated playing it.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I cannot click on any of these choices, but here is my take on the catalog of Elton John.

I first remember Elton John from the lame Disney Film songs I heard on the radio in the 1990s, so although heard a few older songs, I was not too interested at the time. However a few years later I wanted to explore his older albums as the price was decent for the Reissues mentioned below.

I bought most of his early albums in late 1990s/early 2000s on CD(Classic Period Reissues?). I also bought the Deluxe Editions for his ST 2nd album, 'Captain Fantastic....'( became my favorite EJ album, especially the closing song 'Curtains'), 'Tumbleweed..'(just do not like the Country sounding songs on that album, but glad I bought the Deluxe version) and GYBR(the original Deluxe Edition from the early 2000s and not the recent one with Guest Artists on the 2nd CD). I still need to get 'Honkey Chateux'(spelling?, as I was holding out for a Deluxe Edition, but by now prolly not ever coming, so will just get the 1 CD version later). I did not buy 'Caribeau'(spelling), nor 'Rock of the Westies' as reviews were not great for those albums.

I bought a Greatest Hits-Part 2 to get his better songs from the next time period, as the albums did not seem well regarded, but he certainly had a few good songs from each album. Although, around 12 years ago, bought the 2 Greates Hits CD Set(1970-2002?), so that repeats most of those good songs.

Then just as I was getting into his older albums, he releases 'Songs form the West Coast' that I was not aware of at the time, but started a good comeback IMO, although I still need to get 'PeachTree Road(it had good reviews) and 'The Union'(I have no idea who Leon Russell is, but another well reviewed album). I bought 'Captain & the Kid' which I like a lot and I seem to like 'The Diving Board' a lot more than most posters on here, as I prefer the less pomp EJ, which is why I was turned off by his Title Track to his new album(Wonderful Crazy Night), that is just over the top and reeks of his 1980s music(no substance at all). The new album does have a few good songs, but I think his revival of great albums ended with 'The Diving Board'. 'Home Again' from that album is one of my favorite EJ Songs. I realize that his voice is not as good, but he is 67 years old.

A hope he has a few more good albums left in the tank, but if not, he has provided enough good albums for me to listen to, and will always love 'Captain Fantastic' and 'Madman Across the Water' and his 'ST' 2nd album.

Elton John is my 2nd favorite Piano Player behind Joe Jackson. I also love Ben Folds for Piano based songs.

5. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I just bought a 2LP version of "The very best of" from 1990 for 2€, it's my first EJ album. I was pleasantly surprised that it contains a very big part of his 70's career.
    Actually only side 4 is "pure 80's". Spinning it now for the first time, side A was really good, will this album cover all EJ I need, or is there a particular 60's or 70's album I would need to check out?
    Anyway, I didn't vote either since there's no "I'd like to hear more" option.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The Very Best Of is a lovely comp. The CD sounds great too. It's annoying that it misses off things like Island Girl, though. As for his 70s albums. They'll all worth hearing. Certainly up to Rock Of The Westies (1975) at least.

OneStepBeyond, Jrr, fredblue and 2 others like this.
  7. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Pretty much loved his albums thru Yeller Brick Rd. so I checked that box, altho the next 3(?) had some pretty good cuts on them. His Jan(?) '73 concert down in Baton Rouge is still a top five for me.

8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Really like Madman... and Tumbleweed but before and after that, nah.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

All Elton's '70's albums are worth checking out--especially Tumbleweed Connection, Madman and GBYBR, which are his best.
    As for his lone "60's" album, his 1969 debut , Empty Sky is inessential, but worth a listen. The tunes are memorable--his gift for melody was already apparent--but the lyrics are daft and the production is pretty shaky.

M2225 and fredblue like this.
  10. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Big yay for me. Elton is probably my favorite solo artist of all time. I totally get that some people can't get into it at all and there are times where I take a break from it, though from when I was 16 through 19 his music was constantly in my ears, everything from I've Been Loving You to The Union and everything in between. Wouldn't go without it.

fredblue likes this.
  11. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Candle in the Wind 1997 was when I gave up on Elton John. I like pretty much everything before that.

12. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

1969-1975...............Yea
    1976 to now............Nay

13. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Elton John is a genius.

Todd W. likes this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

a tad predictable.....have you actually listened to any of the post 76 albums?

Grand_Ennui and fredblue like this.
  15. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

A couple..........Blue Moves, a couple from the 80's..........not into it, sorry.

Jrr likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Every few y
    Every few years I try Blue Moves again. Hated it when it was new....still do!

JoeF. likes this.
  17. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Rod says yay :D

[​IMG]

JoeF. likes this.
  18. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

+1

19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

He is very talented, and I liked many of his earlier albums. As much as he has fantastic material, much of his work leaves me cold, and there are some of his hits that I can't stand.

I think part of the problem with Elton is that he signed a contract to release two albums a year. Although he and Taupin had the ability and talent to put out good albums, one album per year would have resulted in even better albums. Then in the 80's his talent allowed him to churn out material, and he could do it by formula and whilst some of it was excellent, there was a lot of rubbish included. His outrageous theatrics did little to maintain credibility, and he ended up a cliche of himself, which still persists to this day. As the years have gone on, he has done lots of Hollywood stuff that leaves me bored.

But having said that, I saw him last December, and it was a great show.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like him up till I'm Still Standing".

21. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Major nay. The definition of overrated. I'll take Billy Joel over Elton John any day.

JohnnyQuest and DrBeatle like this.
  22. alexpop

Joel writes his own stuff.

DrBeatle likes this.
  23. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

The two are contemporaries who have toured together multiple times. The comparison is apt.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Definitely give Elton John "Yay"... As far as *the best* singer/songwriter ever, I wouldn't go that far, but that was the one I picked from the list of options...

fredblue likes this.
  25. alexpop

Lennon & McCartney's got the edge over tbe DJM boys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.