POLL: The Beatles: REVOLVER--8/5/8/1966.... Turns 50 In 2016...Pick Your Favorite 4 Tracks..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh I love the song. But Im totally biased towards any Revolver song. And admitted fanboy of that album. But if Im forced to pick a weaker song than some of the other mini-masterpieces...

2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

"Love You To" seems to be underrated. I think it is rather magnificent (though not quite in my top 4!).

linclink, 3rd Uncle Bob and theMess like this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's rather mind-boggling that the original North American version of Revolver excluded 3 (!!!) tracks that would be classics by the standards of most bands. All John songs too.

ralph7109 likes this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I went with:

For No One
    Eleanor Rigby
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Fortuleo and Johnny Reb like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Bird Can Sing, Only Sleeping, Here There Everywhere, For No One

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, For No One and Tomorrow Never Knows for me. Revolver is my favorite album of theirs... 50 years old soon... Wow.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Time flies...got the stereo 2012 spinning....digitally sourced but the heck it sounds great to me....

9. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Had a 1966 Danish mono copy for a brief while, enjoyed it very much. But I must say, I'm probably a little bit more fond of the stereo version as I learned to love this album via that one way back when. Heard my 1987 CD a few days ago, sounded OK to me. Though the echo on the backwards guitar solo on Tomorrow Never Knows really blew my mind when I first heard it, in mono. Glad I've got both mono and stereo versions digitally, at least.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Got the mono 2014 vinyl..liked it so much I got 2.. Total analogue with no digital sourcing..Love stereo or mono...digitally sourced or analogue, I like both...Stereo 2012 vinyl sounds amazing...

11. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

I can pick four of Paul's songs in seconds; takes me a bit longer to pick four of John's; I can't possibly limit myself to only four favorites. A brilliant album.

I never owned the US version as my first purchase was a UK import LP in the late 70s.

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The British version ain't good

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

14. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Taxman
    Eleanor Rigby
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Got To Get You Into My Life

15. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Phenomenal album.

My favorites are:

Eleanor Rigby
    For No One
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Fourth is tricky.

She Said She Said or Love You To or Got to Get You Into My Life or I'm Only Sleeping

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  16. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I can't believe Yellow Submarine got any votes. That is a skipper for me.

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like it a lot , cool track but it has some serious competition. Would be in my top 10 Revolver tracks...possibly top 8

18. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

this actually wasn't a hard decision at all. just a quick look at the tracklist.

"Taxman"
    "Eleanor Rigby"
    "I'm Only Sleeping"
    "Tomorrow Never Knows"

my favorite Beatles album. so awesome. but it was an easy decision to pick 4.

19. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I think that "Here, There & Everywhere" might be the best love song Paul has ever written (and he's written a lot of them!) Because he takes the "love song" to a new level in 1966 and gives us the idea that love can make one a better person.

I chose "She Said She Said" because I like the way it rocks - and when I first heard it, it rocked way "different" than everything that had come before. Plus "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Taxman"

Tough poll!

Honorable mention to:
    "And Your Bird Can Sing" - new sounding rock for 1966 that bridged the gap between The Beatles of 1965 and 1966.
    "Eleanor Rigby" - we'd heard strings in a Beatles song before - but never a Beatles song where they didn't play a note - and then had the balls to release it as a single!

WTF mention to:
    "Tomorrow Never Knows" - because that's exactly what I thought when I first heard it!

But the interesting thing about Revolver.....most of us had no idea what these guys were singing about on some of these songs when we heard the album.....

ParloFax and bumbletort like this.
  20. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Good Day Sunshine
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    For No One
    Dr Robert

Cannot abide Tomorrow Never Knows.

bumbletort likes this.
  21. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

Here, There and Everywhere
    For No One
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Got To Get You Into My Life

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

No doubt about it - a sublimely beautiful love song. One of the best ever by anyone.

23. artsiistra

artsiistra Forum Resident

Kind of tough, since I wanted to try to get all involved in my choices.

1. Tomorrow Never Knows - that was a scary track to listen to on first listen! Definitely became my favorite track after repeats.

2. Taxman - a great rocker coming from George. He got my attention as a songwriter with this one!

3. Here, There & Everywhere - a well crafted love song from Paul with some help by John I think. This was in their collaborative period, making the songs sound so much more memorable.

4. She Said She Said - a great rocker from John. Some great guitar stuff on this one.

I could have easily picked four of John's or split the two evenly between Paul and John. For No One, Dr Robert, And Your Bird Can Sing are great as well. Yellow Submarine, eh, not so much. Sorry Ringo!

24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That might be why it was never originally thought of as a masterpiece (like Pepper) here in the colonies.

25. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Like many Americans, I grew up with the U.S. version. I actually only acquired the British version when the remastered reissue came out a few years ago. The UK version is just massively superior to what Capitol gave us Americans. Oddly, I still lean toward the original U.S. version of "Rubber Soul."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.