Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

European fans got so much more "live Prince" than we did in the "classic years". Non-US tours in 1986, 1987, 1990, 1992 and 1995.

It ain't fair! :cry:

2. In other words, what's your age. Hell, Musicology and 3121 are quite recent.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't think his religion stopped he getting surgery, it was the thought of him never being able to give the type of performance he was used to, and what his fans expected. I think his piano and microphone tour was part of the realization that his pain and damaging his body was just too much.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. Oatsdad

By whom? Seems like "Lovesexy" is likely to be fairly low on the decade's list.

The only 80s album I think would commonly get rated lower would be "Batman". "Lovesexy" is probably viewed on a par with "Controversy" and maybe "Around the World...", whereas the others will usually be viewed as superior.

It was a helluva run - similar to Bowie's 70s. Even the worst album is still pretty good!

bluejeanbaby and TonyCzar like this.
  5. Grant

The problem is that lots of people believe this stuff. There are people who believe that if it's in print, any print, there must be truth to it.

There are a lot of people who don't like Prince and his music, and are ready to believe anything bad or salacious about him.

Thom likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Quite recent? 3121 was released in 2006. Back when these were hot.
    [​IMG]

Musicology was released when the Razr phone was on everyone's wishlist. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

sunspot42 and Thom like this.
  7. Oatsdad

I've always liked "Lovesexy", but I admit my view of it is colored by my love of the 1988 tour.

Same goes for "SotT": I can't judge it because when I play the album, I "hear" the vastly superior live versions...

8. Oatsdad

Hmm... not sure how I should take this...

9. Oatsdad

ONLY if we discuss his alleged homophobia - all other Horn talk is forbidden! :tsk:

10. Oatsdad

You missed the most important question: what did Tom Petty think when he first heard "Kiss"???

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Probably. As more info is released, it appears that the drive to keep performing at a high level of energy shortened his life. It happens with artistic people like him.

bluejeanbaby, Cubbiegirl and Grant like this.
  12. Grant

It reached #6 on Billboard's Hot 100 singles.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

A very successful single but one of his least memorable hits. I played that song for my bro and he didn't even recognize it. Which is surprising because he was glued to the radio in the early 90's. :laugh:

Thom and Grant like this.
  14. Grant

Back when it was a hit single, many people I talked to about it were amazed that I didn't like it. I also remember lots of people liked "Cream", but never met anyone who liked "Gett Off". Well, consider the community I lived in.

Thom likes this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

It had a very short chart run. It was in the Top 40 for a total of 9 weeks (not a lot in 1990, especially for a Top 10 hit).
    It went: 40 - 28 - 18 - 13 - 11 - 7 - 6 (its peak) - 8 - 22 and then it dropped out of the Top 40 (down to No. 44). So it sprinted to No. 6, and then dipped, and two weeks later was off the Top 40. That's why JQ's brother doesn't remember it. :)

JohnnyQuest and Grant like this.
  16. Grant

It's the old macho thing, you know, men are direct and straightforward, never waver, a man keeps his word, one should take a man at his word...those covert lessons that are ingrained in us men from day one. Say what you mean and mean what you say. That mentality.

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Dame Helen Mirrin at The White House tonight

skybluestoday, Eska68, YMC4 and 12 others like this.
  18. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I also didn't particularly like it. I like it more today than I did then. But I did like Tevin Campbell's "Round And Round", which was a hit a few months after "Thieves In The Temple" so was sort of the 'follow up' from Graffiti Bridge.

19. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Closed , narrow minded idiots they are then. As I said , catching a virus that virtually most could have been unknowingly exposed to doesn't make someone a bad person, or take away from the person that they are.
    It shouldn't have anything to do with how one is perceived any more than catching the flu and developing pneumonia from it.
    It does not make someone a bad person.

I DO UNDERSTAND what you are saying though .And for as many times as the Enquirer gets it right ,they get it wrong tenfold .

keyXVII and Grant like this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

I and my brother both liked "Get Off". I can understand why many in your community didn't "get" that song. You weren't the target demographic for that type of music.. That was for the young and Hip-Hop loving crowd. :cool:

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Hush with your lies! When it comes to staff meals, Prince spares no expense - he would gladly do a buy one-get one half off.

Grant and Oatsdad like this.
  22. That's a bit of how I feel as well. I've got a good tour bootleg from the Lovesexy dates, and the energy of it blows away the album.

23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I was going to ask you before, what was it about the SOTT/Lovesexy live band that impressed you so much? Like, in what ways did you prefer them to the Revolution? Was it their overall chemistry and feel, or the contributions of specific personnel? Just curious!

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

LOL I didn't even see the symbol the first three times I looked at the pic. Guess the only ambiguity now is whether the dress is purple or white.

25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

What would Tom Petty, of all people, know about how Tom Petty felt about something? :winkgrin:

EVOLVIST and TGW like this.