What's your favorite pink Floyd album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

TDSOTM.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That late 60s era of Pink Floyd was definitely influential on a lot of the German bands.

Strange statement from someone who is obviously familiar with their back catalog. Sure, the late Waters period was morbid as hell, but their late 60s/early 70s period was another animal. I don't find Meddle to be depressing at all. Moody, atmospheric, occasionally scary, yes, but not depressing. I find Obscured by Clouds to be pretty light hearted overall. Certainly Dark Side of the Moon wrestles with some weighty themes--war, greed, madness--but even there I think that there's an underlying humanism to Waters' message that is ultimately uplifting and life affirming.

JulesRules and The Bishop like this.
  3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

So, my wife's gone out to see her Mum, and I've taken the opportunity to listen to the 20th Anniversary DSOTM...loud. And it sounds fantastic! I must have played this album hundreds of times over the years, so I tried to switch off my thoughts as much as possible, forget its reputation, and just listen. And as I tried to listen, without all the weight the album carries, I was struck by just how much remains of the influence of Meddle, and in particular, Echoes.

It's just that the playing, the writing, and the production, not to mention the visual package, had moved on to a whole new level. This is the culmination of everything begun with A Saucerful Of Secrets: they threw everything at it. Wish You Were Here, brilliant though it is, marked the beginning of the end. I believe I am right to choose Dark Side Of The Moon, as my favourite Pink Floyd album: it is the apex. And along with Sgt. Pepper, my favourite album of all time.

pinkrudy likes this.
  4. The Bishop

o_Oo_O
    I'm surprised to read this, because it seems to me, if a newbie tries to start a new thread, someone will usually jump on them with "The search engine is your friend", followed by lots of links to previous threads. It seems like you can't do right for doing wrong. o_O

5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I just love Syd Barrett the most. I can't help it. :wiggle:

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Syd's Floyd, particularly Interstellar Overdrive, was a major influence on Krautrock.

Renate Knaup of Amon Düül II has said they drove to London in July 1967 to get a feel of the place and were inspired after seeing Syd's Floyd at UFO (probably July 28 1967) as well as Family.

7. The Bishop

Well, of course, I wouldn't deny the influence of Syd Barrett, but it would be churlish to deny the influence of what followed, as well. My best mate, who is 10 years older than me, used to be a regular at UFO...we often talk about it. Later this year, we're going to the psychedelia exhibition in London, which has a recreation of UFO. We're also going with someone who was involved with the running of the club: I'm really looking forward to it.

Meddle likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Atom Heart Mother

9. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed

10. Meddle

I enjoy the. Syd Barret era very much but love the classic. Line up the. Best

11. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

I love virtually the entire catalogue and can find positives with every phase, and this will undoubtedly not be a popular selection here, but I just love A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Stone cold classics in Learning to Fly and On The Turning Away that still sound great on the radio. Sorrow an overlooked gem that is a live warhorse (recent D. Gilmour concert attendees will vouch here). Fantastic instrumentals in the foreboding Signs of Life and especially the gorgeous Terminal Frost. 80s pop elsewhere but still enjoyable and it all fits together sonically. A beautiful record that spawned the rebirth of Pink Floyd; a triumph.

JulesRules, The Bishop and scobb like this.
  12. Eben Barnard

Eben Barnard Forum Resident

13. The Bishop

I'm with you, absolutely. I know Roger Waters called the album a clever forgery, and of course he was right.

But it was my kind of forgery. I always liked it: even if it was Pink Floyd lite and by numbers.

Meddle and scobb like this.
  14. Meddle

Ditto

15. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I voted Meddle but if Echoes was in the choices that would be it. Something for everyone (except Obscured, More and River fans). :hide:

16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Pink Floyd regularly toured Europe and Germany in the late 60s/early 70s and maintained a strong following throughout that period, so I would agree that it was not just the Syd Floyd that influenced Krautrock.

Meddle likes this.
  17. GrayMouser

GrayMouser Forum Resident

I enjoy all of their albums. I couldn't pick between Meddle and The Final Cut. The musicianship and drama on Echoes is fantastic, and the lyricism on The Final Cut is heartbreakingly touching and real.

18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN
    Nothing else is even close!

19. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Very helpful to the topic

20. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Yeah, those two are forgettable stinkers. WYWH deserves honorable mention in that category to some extent - a good performance, but that 80's acoustic guitar pickup really dates the **** out of it.

21. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

hey @nicotinecaffeine, you have a great name, those are my two favorite things!! :laugh:
    oh, and my fav is Meddle

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Yep, good things, those two are. Just know this...if your arms start getting little ping feelings here and there or if your b***s get sore for no reason, level off of the two ingredients. That means you're getting too much of both.

Meddle's a damn fine album. Need to pick up a better US Harvest; the one I have belonged to my dad and it's been played to death for over 40 years. Like most collectors on this site...meh, I'll get around to it.

johnaltman likes this.
  23. surf city soul

surf city soul Well-Known Member

Piper by a mile. Always had a soft spot for atom heart mother.
    Can't stand the wall/final cut.

24. I like all Floyd but ANIMALS is one i play the most!!

25. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Atom Heart Mother

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.