The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I think it would have been cool if the monkees had revisited Goffin/King's "Dear Marm." Sandoval's book says the 1968 backing track is missing but they could have started from scratch based on the demo:

2. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Well said Dan!

PhoffiFozz, dangiedr and JerryJ like this.
  3. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

That would be nice. My wishful thinking has a two year game plan where Mike is so enthusiastic about this project that he gets a bunch of the session musicians who played on this album to help him complete his solo album. Then the Davy Jones family would get in on the act and have the producer go through his songs and pick an albums worth and have them finish off the Davy Jones solo album and then have Micky, Peter and Mike come back next year and record the follow up album to Good Times called More Good Times.:wiggle: That way I can make at least two albums from these, including more Mike and Davy songs, so Micky , Mike and Davy have the same number of songs on the album with Peter having his usual 1-2 songs. By having the same musicians play on all the albums there would be a cohesiveness to it.

4. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Hutch, Hep Alien, George C. and 9 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thought Micky played drums on some tracks too?

Grand_Ennui and dangiedr like this.
  6. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

I'm certain he'll be behind the kit for at least a track or three. That being said, I have to say Brian Young did a great job of channeling Micky's playing style ( the tambourine is a wonderful touch as well) on this track... he fooled me!

7. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

Hey guys what are some post 6os Monkee songs that top their 60s output

Are they better live now than in the 60s, I would love to see them now-a-days

8. popscene

popscene Senior Member

In which they refer to it as the "new Monkees 45." Oh, the tease!

9. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

The current single and...that's it. :)

Mike Nesmith's albums from the 70s are a must listen as well.

Parlophony and Disraeli Gears like this.
  10. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

haven't listened to "she makes me laugh" since friday morning, but it's been stuck in my head all day. Glad they got Mike Viola involved, he's a great talent.

yellowballoon likes this.
  11. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident

A thousand times this! This song is a MONKEES SONG, they could easily pull a hit comeback with this like Blondie did with "Maria" in 2000, that song sounded like what you would expect, and this one does the same. Infectious, bouncy, everything great pop music should be. A beacon in the fog of fart gas that is today's musical atmosphere.

12. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident

You mean depth... like that in "Valleri"?

PhoffiFozz and JerryJ like this.
  13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Listened to it five times to make sure I wasn't dreaming!

Pretty darned excellent. Jangle Pop, indeed!

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

George C., scotty j. and dangiedr like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

(The currently unreleased album )"Good Times" is your third favorite Monkees album? Based on the single alone or are you privy to something we're not?

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Agreed!

empirelvr, PhoffiFozz and zen like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

In this podcast they say be near a computer on Tuesday. I would think that could mean a live stream of the album.

D-rock and Tord like this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If Mike Viola would have produced this new album, I know that I would probably love every minute of it, because I know that he is that in tune with making records that sound like a great '60's or '70's radio hit. Adam is also a fine producer and songwriter (and I know is a close friend of Mike Viola's), but while his work on "That Thing You Do" was perfect, the "Fountains Of Wayne" material, outside of the brilliant "Stacy's Mom", has been nowhere remotely close, to the "quality" that Mike Viola has released, in my opinion. And, I will admit it, not many have even heard Mike Viola records or his "Candy Butchers" albums, which I find sad, especially when I hear so many on this forum saying how much they love "power pop" records, as Mike is brilliant at channelling The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Cheap Trick, ELO and almost any other great "pop" band that you'd like to throw in the blender and he makes it his own!

Check out his song "Superkid" and imagine Mickey singing it …

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  19. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Yes he was privvy to it

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Mike Viola -- and of FoW. I could not disagree more that FoW's output has not been of superior quality. Their first album from '96 probably bests anything Mike has ever released (and I don't mean that as an insult to Mike at all, as he is a brilliant artist). I would have been just as happy if they had selected Mike as producer, but Adam is no slouch, and think the new single channels the '60s quite well.

21. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

I finally listened to "She makes me laugh" on my car stereo (instead of my phone) and guess what.. This song is boss!!
    Are we living in some alternate universe --- the Monkees have a smash hit in 2016 !!! Imho of course!

22. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Sounds like the PACJ formula to me.

23. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed these guys have always produced great pop. I knew The Monkees album was going to be good from the earliest of reports.

monkeetrade and bluejeanbaby like this.
  24. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

25. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

Does anyone have any info about the Japanese CD import version of the a!bum? Any site that I've checked that has it for pre-order has no details about it.

Another question that I had that has gotten no reply is if the free download of the album when buying tickets for the tour will include any bonus material.

I love that there are so many Monkees fans that frequent this site. So unlike the dark days before Internet when I had no idea how to find others who liked them as much as I did...and do!