Radiohead - Best Place To Start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eric777, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist Thread Starter

Ok, I have only heard a handful of songs by Radiohead. I have liked everything I heard but never took the extra step into purchasing their music. I thought I would give them a try. Where would be a good place to start in your opinion?

2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Ok Computer is their best album but I'd start with the previous album , The Bends - almost as good

popeofcabinets, gslasor and eric777 like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Pablo Honey". Then proceed in chronological order.

6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

In Rainbows, to me, is their most accessible album. Give it a spin; if you're not interested by the end, Radiohead may not be for you.

elee532, Umbari and eric777 like this.
  7. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

my first was In Rainbows, but I think if I had to suggest a starting point it'd be OK Computer or The Bends, something with a couple "hits" to hook a newbie.

eric777 likes this.
  8. eric777

I have been checking out The Bends through the samples on 7 digital. From what I can tell so far from 30 second samples it's pretty good.

ARK and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member

I'd recommend listening to Voivod instead.

Jeff Kent and wdiv like this.
  10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Normally, I'd say follow chronological order (but skip Pablo Honey). So The Bends would be first up. But Radiohead have had two main phases: 90s alternative/guitar rock, and Warp-influenced electronic (with rock touches) in the early 2000s, and then a bit of both thereafter. I didn't like them prior to the second phase, when Kid A well and truly won me over in 2000, so that's why I'd hesitate to say proceed with The Bends (their most 90s alternative rock album). I know certain members hate comps, but I think their Best Of is a solid primer, and then you can decide which tracks appeal the most, and follow the path you prefer. Otherwise, In Rainbows is a perfect synthesis of their two main modes. It's the album that shows the full power of Radiohead; everything (or just about...) that they can do.

JeffMo, gregorya, eric777 and 2 others like this.
  11. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

In Rainbows!!!

eric777 likes this.
  12. eric777

So far from what I have heard I think I agree with you on Pablo Honey. The five tracks I heard online were ok but sound very much a product of their time. So far The Bends and OK Computer are really winning me over. I have not made it to Kid A yet.

Thom likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

"Kid A" is the album that made it all click for me. It was my "Oh ok. Now I get it. These guys are amazing!" moment. :love: I had a epiphany.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would say to start with three of the most highly acclaimed albums of the last 30 years: OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows.

15. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

My Iron Lung

At the time I thought Pablo Honey was alright ("Creep" hadn't been overplayed yet, and there are a few good songs), but it couldn't compete for my attention in the year of Siamese Dream, Suede or In Utero (plus 1993 was a great year for extreme metal).

It was the following year's My Iron Lung which made me sit up and listen. It was released as an EP in The Netherlands (I didn't know it was originally a single in the UK until sometime later), and I had it on repeat for months (this, and Dog Man Star). In fact, I love this slightly esoteric collection of songs better than The Bends.

eric777 likes this.
  16. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I would go in chronological order but agree that the debut is a product of its times. Having said that, it does have several very good tracks and is "quite immediate". As with any band that you get into, try to give yourself time to enjoy each album in turn. Don't rush and play them all at once.

eric777 likes this.
  17. eric777

So far, I have streamed The Bends in full and I am working through OK Computer. The Bends might be a grower so I will definitely have to listen several more times to that one. It sounds really good though.

OK Computer on the other hand has me sold already. This album is fantastic. Where have I been the last 19 or 20 years? How on Earth did I let this album get by me? I will definitely be purchasing this one.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

definitely The Bends. it's the Radiohead album that strikes the perfect balance between approachability and excellence. once you've established a strong liking for that one, move on to Ok Computer.

levi, OobuJoobu, Oliver and 3 others like this.
  19. eric777

I agree. This band is definitely going to be a lot to ingest.

popeofcabinets and ARK like this.
  20. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Jump in, it's all good mate !

timztunz, Runicen and eric777 like this.
  21. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Pablo Honey may not be the best place to start, but it is worth checking out for the tracks You, Lurgee and Blow Out. Also, check out Live at the Astoria.

eric777 likes this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Pablo Honey is quite good in its own way but I would never serve that up as a gateway drug for Radiohead. when the albums were all coming out, sure. it was pretty breathtaking to witness how much the band had grown between that album and The Bends, and then continued to grow and grow over the next several releases. but to an entirely unitiated listener in 2016? no way. start with the stronger material and go back if you really need to fill in the gaps.

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The best Radiohead is live Radiohead:

JeffMo and Group of One like this.
  24. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

They're amazing live. First time I saw them was in '96 at the Pinkpop festival, and during this one show they went from being one of the many "alternative" bands I liked to one of my all-time favourites.

25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It blew me away - OKC - when I heard it in 1999. All time top 5

Also check out the companion EP Airbag/How Am I Driving?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.