Ortofon 2M Bronze phono cartridge review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I've been really disappointed/ surprised with the Bronze. I got it brand new from a local dealer in Toronto this December. Since then I've played it about 3 nights a week / 90 mins per night. Just took it in to have spacers installed and the tech told me the stylus now needs to be replaced.

Is this usual? I emailed Ortofon and am waiting for a response but this seems ludicrous to have to shell out 350 every 6 months for a new stylus. Or am I just stuck with a faulty stylus? I'm shelling out for a Black stylus in the hopes that this changes everything. If it's the same scenario: can anyone recommend me a better cartridge? I'm really upset about this!

2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Ortofon 2M series shall run around 1000h before anything starts to degrade on them so you are far far away from that.

black sheriff and TheeGory like this.
  3. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Thank you! I knew I read it should be much longer! This is outrageous!

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Has to be something wrong with it ? What's it actually doing , or not doing?

5. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

It's lost a LOT of clarity and I could never understand people raving about it. Sounded great to me for a bit but I was comparing it to my 2M red. So when I read about VTA spacers need I took it in to get serviced and then got the shocking news. I think it's a faulty unit. I do not click anywhere NEAR the 1000 hrs (I wish!)

I really hope this dealer in Toronto did not sell me a used cartridge and say it was new. The seal was still on the box! Anyhoo thanks for the comments. Really appreciate this place :)

CharlesS likes this.
  6. GKH

GKH Senior Member

That is strange.
    I've had my 2M Bronze 4 years now with the original stylus.
    It still sounds fantastic! As a matter of fact, George Merrill (Analog Emporium) recently inspected my stylus saying it looked as good as new.
    Something isn't right.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    TheeGory likes this.
  7. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Wow! I've been so paranoid about VTF not going above 1.5. Etc. So I can rest
    Assured if I upgrade to a Black stylus it should last more than 5 months? Lol. Thanks so much for the replies. Means a lot!

8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

What, may I ask, do you clean your stylus with, and how often?

9. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I don't use solvents of any sort. Just the brush a few times. I always play Mint to Near Mint records. Always clean vinyl thoroughly with the London Jazz Collector solution and a vacuum record cleaner. In short, I'm really paranoid about hurting this needle! Lol. Should I be using a liquid cleaner for the stylus?

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Absolutely! When I first purchased the Bronze in 2012, I just used a Last stylus brush on occasion. I put all of my records through my Spin Clean - new or not. That probably helps, as well. I bought a Zerodust,
    Stylus Cleaner around 2013, using it weekly along with the stylus brush.
    Then; when I was turntable shopping last year, I noticed George Merrill using a stylus brush each time he played a record, & turned the record over. Always brushing back to front gently, with the arm floating. That way, no damage can come to the stylus or cantilever.
    Also; he puts his Grooove Lube on his stylus brush. So; I began following his way. I rotate out 3 stylus brushes. Each week, I take a clean one that I have cleaned with distilled water. It has several days to dry. When I'm ready for that brush, I add a couple of drops of the Grooove Lube. I have been using this method for several months along with the Zerodust which I still use weekly.
    I also brush my records with a carbon fiber brush before I play each side. It's all pretty automatic with me any more.

TheeGory and JamesD1957 like this.
  11. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

This is great advice! Thank you. As I mentioned before: I always take meticulous care of my records but have been wary of applying too much force to the cantilever while brushing etc. I will be using these methods down the road.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

For Ortofon cartridges any cleaning solution is forbidden. Read the manual :)

TheeGory likes this.
  13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

GroOove Lube is not a cleaning solution.

www.hifigem.com/grooove-lube.html

TheeGory likes this.
  14. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Ha! I knew I was being paranoid for a reason. I'm paranoid about residue on vinyl being left on because of needle contact, always do a triple rinse for cleaning. Regardless, you guys are awesome. I really don't think Orrtofon is to blame, here.

Having said that, their email reaponse wasn't that helpful. She thought I told her I was putting a Bronze stylus in a 2M Red :laugh:

Thea rest of the email was a lecture on not changing styli with bodies that don't match. When I clarified the situation, I received no response just an address to a supplier that was far from me. Was not impressed.

If the Black isn't magnificent then it's Last chance Ortofon! Lol!

15. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Here you go....

http://www.hifigem.com/stylus-care.html

TheeGory likes this.
  16. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

OK after getting the new Black stylus. The tech used the standard Rega Alignment tool (Stevenson) and installed the sufficient spacers for alignment. Took it home and played a couple hours and felt let down. It was very nice and "full sounding" but nothing like the reviews have been saying.

So THEN I used my vinyl engine baerwald alignment. After a good 90 mins or so. BAM! Hit the sweet spot.

It's exactly as everyone says it is! My system is very modest: rega Rp3 / Rega MIRA amp / Totem speakers and I could NOT help but get a huge smile come across my face.

Band on the Run "Mastered by Capitol" just a stunner! - Bluebird literally had me jump because I thought the bad was in the room.

Fleetwood Mac s/t "Kendun" pressing "holy shiznit" when "Landslide" played the entire soundstage opened up like an IMAX movie. Harmonies / 12 strings / gorgeous!

Question: if everything sounds great and it's tracking at 1.5 VTF : should I leave well enough alone? I'm I pressed! Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.