Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Upcoming Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oates, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying the box set. I haven't made any comparisons to earlier CD pressings (I only have the Framed/Next & Impossible Dream/Tomorrow..." sets on CD) but I'm pretty happy with the sound of all of the SAHB albums. The Live album sounds great to me (I never bought the CD of this - I just have a very crackily copy on vinyl) and I've not had SAHB Stories & Rock Drill out of the CD player since I got the set.

I've still to work my way through the pre-SAHB era but I did pick up the "Jumping Jack Flash" 7" at last year's Record Store Day and that sounded really good. If that's any indication of the work done on the other CD's, then I think I'll be pretty happy with those discs too!

RocketUSA, Almost Simon and boboquisp like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

SAHB Stories is the one that surprised me. I'd never really given that album much time before but it did sound rather good. Same with Rock Drill, always deemed to be the weak link at the end but now not so sure.

3. SinisterGinger

I'm really enjoying these albums as I never picked them up before. I only heard a few tracks off them from compilations over the years. Rock Drill is quickly becoming one of my favourite SAHB albums. It's heavier than a lot of their earlier records. Those first four songs are amazing and "No Complaints Department" should have been left on there. It's a great song. Forgot to mention, The Penthouse Tapes sounds great on this set too!!

4. Almost Simon

Agreed on No Complaints Department. I still have an old vinyl copy of Rock Drill with a sticker placed over the song title when they replaced that track, must've been very much last minute.

SinisterGinger likes this.
  5. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Formulate any opinions yet? About to pull the trigger on the box set.

6. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I have the box as well. Much of it is new to me but I am very happy to have it.

Rick A.

7. SinisterGinger

It's a really great set!! The SAHB material sounds great! That's what I've mainly worked through myself. I've still to listen to some of the other discs. Overall, I'm really happy with the set and it's a very welcome addition to any SAHB fan's collection!!

RocketUSA likes this.
  8. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I was pretty much going to buy it for Roman Wall Blues and The Joker is Wild...everything else is just a bonus. ;)

Price is down to $108 USD for me with a holiday gift card, and not sure the price is going to go much lower anytime soon.

9. Almost Simon

I'd go for it, its great. I haven't listened to much of the early stuff yet, the SAHB albums are great and the extras good too. Sound quality is very good, there's only one track I was unsure about, The Poet and I, from his last album on disc 14 is sourced from vinyl, quite obvious when you hear it. But then I dug my old cd version of the album to compare and realised that's the same too so that's the best quality available.

Nothing wrong with this set though, it is great. Very happy with it.

RocketUSA likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

smiley69 likes this.
  11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Almost Simon likes this.
  12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Great set. Glad I bought it (crushed corner from shipping and all).

13. Almost Simon

Did you send for a return? I wouldnt accept a damaged product, Amazon are usually excellent at arranging a replacement. An issue i've had a few times over the years.

14. Almost Simon

No idea how amazon works with their different pricings but if you got cheap thats a great deal.

15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Yes, it was amazon.it price (£75 inc postage) but delivered from the UK (£110). Go figure!!!

16. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Didn't bother. It's not horrendous. Also, I've got so much stuff at this point that I don't nitpick.

17. Almost Simon

Understood but its still a pricey set and should only set you back the time of an email to amazon customer service department. If you still have the original packaging they'll likely email you the postage/address sheet to attach to the package. If not they'll find a way to sort it.

But if you're happy, no worries, but never hurts to send a quick email and see what amazon suggests if they have sent you damaged stock.

18. BB on Mars

BB on Mars Forum Resident

Wow, I am blown away by this boxset ! I got mine yesterday & love it. I loaded it all on my pc & then loaded it all on my ipod & have been listening to it on random. I used to see a band from Cleveland, Ohio in Buffalo & one of the highlights was when the band played Midnight Moses. I had assumed it was an original tune because they mostly played originals until I read a review in a local music paper where it said "...Midnight Moses originally by Alex Harvey". This was around 1982 so I began searching & could only find the Mafia Stole my Guitar which I really liked. I then found used copies of Penthouse Tapes & The Impossible Dream & really loved those albums but...No Midnight Moses(I even found a double Best of...but no Moses). Finally...I was in Toronto & found the Framed & Next albums & I've been a huge fan since.

Anyway, that boxset is unbelievable...I really love the version of "I Just Wanna Make Love to you" that is on the Joker is Wild album(the song appears at least 2 other times on the boxset but I love this version). It's so great to have both Soul Band albums as I only had the one that was released in 1999. It's also great to have the extra cuts from their live album(even though the quality on those are not as good as the official live album but from that Hammersmith show you also get Sgt. Fury, Gangbang, Midnight Moses, & Tomorrow Belongs to me. It was a bit pricey but this was something I really wanted & it was well worth the price for me

Almost Simon likes this.
  19. vox.jubilante

vox.jubilante Forum Resident

Just saw this and am very excited - is the sound quality good? Not too load or anything like that? Anybody have any opinions on how they compare to the early 90s Vertigo discs ((I have a few of those currently)?

The 2-fers from the early noughts were pretty crispy.

I appreciate any comparisons anyone can share.

BB on Mars likes this.
  20. BB on Mars

BB on Mars Forum Resident

The Sound quality sounds fine to me although I'm not very technical at listening to the sound. It sounds great if I crank it up so I'm happy. I tend to put everything on my computer after I buy it & did use these versions & deleted my previous cd's. I'm a pretty big fan so I was happy with some of the bonus tracks like hearing a live version of the Tale of the Giant Stoneater. The quality varies on the live stuff but most of it sounds good to me

vox.jubilante likes this.
  21. rzahl

rzahl Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a live version of Stone Eater.

This set doesn't seem to be widely available and the price is steep. I've been satisfied with my two-fers for years so might sit this one out. Still I do feel that Alex and band are deserving of the box set treatment.

22. Almost Simon

Edited 4cd version of the 14cd box set being released in February, details from the superdeluxeedition website:

Alex Harvey / Last Of The Teenage Idols four-CD 'highlights' edition »

Last year's mammoth 14CD large format Alex Harvey box set The Last Of The Teenage Idols will be available as a four-disc ‘highlights’ edition from next month.

217 tracks are distilled down to 76 for this package which is friendlier on your wallet and easier on your CD shelf. The compact ‘bookset’ presentation mirrors what Universal did with the four-disc version of
    The Moody Blues‘ Timeless Flight (14-disc version is available at ShopSuperDeluxe).

Full track listing is below and this four-CD edition of The Last Of The Teenage Idols is released on 24 February 2017.

[​IMG]

CD1

• Framed
      • Let The Good Times Roll
      • Teensville Usa
      • House Of The Rising Sun
      • Reeling And Rocking
      • Shout
      • Long Long Gone
      • Shakin’ All Over
      • Parchman Farm
      • Elevator Rock
      • Trouble In Mind
      • I Learned About Women
      • Big Rock Candy Mountain
      • Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out
      • Agent 00 Soul
      • Work Song
      • The Sunday Song
      • Birthday
      • Midnight Moses
      • Hammer Song
      • Roman Wall Blues
      • Broken Hearted Fairytale
      • Hammer Song
      • Midnight Moses
      • Framed
    CD2

• The Faith Healer
      • Vambo Marble Eye
      • The Last Of The Teenage Idols/Parts 1-2-3
      • Giddy Up A Ding Dong – Live / BBC “In Concert”, London / 1973
      • Next – Live / BBC “The Old Grey Whistle Test”, London / 1973
      • The Hot City Symphony Part 1: Vambo
      • The Hot City Symphony Part 2: The Man In The Jar
      • Sergeant Fury
      • Anthem
      • The Faith Healer – Live At The Ragnarock Festival /1974
      • Action Strasse
      • The Tale Of The Giant Stoneater
      • Ribs And Balls
      • Sharks Teeth
      • Tomorrow Belongs To Me
      • To Be Continued
    CD3

• Give My Compliments To The Chef – Live / BBC “The Old Grey Whistle Test”, London / 1975
      • Fanfare (Justly, Skillfully, Magnaminously) – Live At Hammersmith Odeon, King Street, London
      • The Faith Healer – Live At Hammersmith Odeon, King Street, London
      • Tomahawk Kid – Live At Hammersmith Odeon, King Street, London
      • Delilah – Live At Hammersmith Odeon, King Street, London / Edit
      • Sergeant Fury – Live At The Hammersmith Odeon / 1975
      • I Wanna Have You Back
      • Jungle Jenny
      • Runaway
      • School’s Out
      • Goodnight Irene
      • Gamblin’ Bar Room Blues
      • Crazy Horses
      • Cheek To Cheek
      • Dance To Your Daddy
      • Sultan’s Choice
      • Boston Tea Party
      • Amos Moses
    CD4

• $25 For A Massage
      • Dogs Of War
      • Satchel And The Scalp Hunters
      • The Dolphins
      • Who Murdered Sex?
      • Nightmare City
      • Water Beastie
      • No Complaints Department
      • Engine Room Boogie
      • Rock ‘N’ Roll – Live At The BBC / Alan Freeman Saturday Rock Show / June 3rd 1978
      • I Love Monsters Too
      • The Mafia Stole My Guitar
      • Shakin’ All Over ISRC:
      • Just A Gigolo / I Ain’t Got Nobody – Medley
      • Big Tree (Small Axe)
      • Snowshoes Thompson
      • Billy Bolero – Home Demo Version

zphage likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

24. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Even more interesting than the 4CD highlights box are the 2 Alex Harvey and His Soul Band LP reissues...the second of which is making its first appearance on vinyl, as it was shelved back in the day. Win copies of all three here:

Alex Harvey - Signup »

Can't find much more information about either LP, other than the usual 180 gram buzzwords.

Almost Simon likes this.
  25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip - ordered!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.