Pacific Rim due in 2013

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I think a lot of theatres weren't following the studio's directions regarding light levels. The 3D screening I was at (one of those "premium" screens with reserved seating, off-brand imax digital clones) was excellent and there was no confusion in the night scenes at all.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've enjoyed all of Del Toro's previous films, but Pacific Rim was a pretty big disappointment... it's easily the weakest movie he's done so far. :thumbsdow

(I guess one stinker out of 8 isn't too bad...) :p

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I watched it again recently without the 3D and enjoyed it much more.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But have you seen Godzilla?

It's interesting to note that the home video Blu-ray version of Pacific Rim is about 20% brighter than the theatrical presentation, so you actually see a lot more on a TV set than what we saw in theaters. I think the movie was a lot of fun, though it also had a lot of bizarre, nutty stuff in it, too. But I also think it had a clearer direction of where they wanted to go with the story, and I think it was a lot more involving in terms of the characters.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not yet, but I'm hoping to check it out sometime in the next week or two.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

DelToro has also said there's going to be a TV version of Pacific Rim, which I think is a good idea but it'll be an incredibly ambitious idea, given the amount of CG necessary to pull that off. Unless they do it as a cartoon show.

For all its flaws, Pacific Rim was at least a fun film and it had a very complicated plot with a lot of twists and turns. I think it was 276 times more interesting than Godzilla in terms of character and story.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Fun film? Complicated plot? Are you sure you saw the same Pacific Rim as I did? :p

yasujiro and jriems like this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The linked article mentions "(an animated series) set within the “Pacific Rim” universe".

The plot had more meat to it than a lot of stuff these days (albeit in a comic-book-universe sort of way), and it was a really fun film--the opening pre-credit sequence just bubbles over with the joy of the concept with a perfect mix of shots/editing/music. I don't quite understand why people dislike this movie so much, but that's why there are so many other style of movies to choose from.

John K.

googlymoogly likes this.
  12. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I thought the first one was fun. Couldn't imagine watching it at home though, it's the kind of flick where I'd want big screen, big sound.

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm a big Del Toro fan and I finally watched this when it was on HBO and it was better than I thought it would be. I hate the Transformers movies, actually I only saw the first one and that was enough, so I was expecting something like that. At least IMO you could see the Del Toro touches in the movie so that helped. Not his best but since it made over 400 million worldwide I guess a second one had to happen.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I enjoyed the first one... Glad to hear another one is coming...

15. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The second film now has a director - Daredevil's Steven S. DeKnight.

Here's hoping...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

16. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i had read that it was being shelved so this is good news. but i wonder why del Toro isn't doing it?
    looks like DeKnight has been a TV guy. i haven't watched any of his stuff except for a little bit of Smallville. hopefully he doesn't stray from del Toro's blueprint for this one. hoping for at least good, expecting not so great.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

(2D)
    This gets a bad rap, but a good climax ending.

jriems likes this.
  18. alexpop

Still don't know why Hellboy films were unpopular.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They weren't. Neither could be called a traditional hit, but they achieved a good cult audience and were viewed reasonably positively...

20. alexpop

Shame a third one bigger budget in"3D ",would be ideal for the asian market. Either the Studio doesn't want to put up the money, or the Director's not interested in the project anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.