Mobile Fidelity inner sleeve residue problem - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by patrickd, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That's nonsense. They know about the problem. They need to send you updated sleeves or a refund.

SethG likes this.
  2. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did promise to send a pair of these on to MD for them to check and it's slipped my mind. Will do anyhow if I have more, I just gave up on them and moved on to some Sleeve City inners mentioned here which I really like.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Every time I pull out an album that happens to have a MoFi inner, the record is covered with ****. Never again.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. shaneoctane

shaneoctane Member

Hmmm never had an issue myself besides a few that had a seam through the middle which music direct sent replacements for but this is starting to concern me. When i saw that They resolved the problem i figured it was taken care of but my next sleeve order might be some disc keepers. Too bad... I kinda wanted them to be all the same... Just the ocd in me...

5. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I'm not doing anything about it, I wouldn't want them for free now even if they are supposedly fixed.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've been using the Mofi sleeves for awhile now, probably a decade, but have not found any residue on my albums yet. I haven't checked all my older lps though.

How long does it usually take for the residue to appear?

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Right, but if MoFi were saying "please send me a photo" sending them an actual sample would seem to be better. Generally, I comply with these kinds of requests so that the "i's" are dotted, and then as a buyer you can't be accused of not cooperating with their request. Then as you said in your subsequent post, I'd ask for a refund, including the postage of mailing them the liner. :)
    Sorry, even though I am retired, it's the lawyer in me. Never argue needlessly.

8. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Oh, boy. I just bought these sleeves. Open the package last night and put some lp's on them after whashing them. :eek:

dadonred likes this.
  9. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Argh. I literally just sat down from spending the last few hours cleaning the first 25 LPs and putting them in my just-bought MF sleeves. Sigh.

10. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you will be fine if using recently purchased sleeves -- the issue seems to be with older versions. Though my problem seems to have occurred after the better known examples, I was using a supply that I'd laid down around that earlier time - don't want to panic others.

eddiel and dadonred like this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah ive had this problem recently and they pretty much said that there are still bad sleeves out there. They dont seem that bothered and just say to clean them. I did so and there are still marks on them. These are for recent releases ie the last 12 months...

I also must confess my dislike for these types of sleeves like the mfsl, quality records etc that stick to the record. I have some with hairlines that im sure werent caused by anything other than the sleeves. I am now using generic polylined sleeves as they do less damage suprisingly...

12. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

This prompted me to look at my Ricky Nelson album and yep, the residue is there. Damn. Let me check my Marvin Gaye What's Going On. Not noticing anything there.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just checked my Music from the big pink....theres weird marks on that aswell!!

Whenever i get a mofi pressing now, im swapping the sleeves for normal polylined sleeves. Their sleeves are sh1t!

Which bright spark said 'hey guys, what about putting some white powder in with these records?!'

jon9091 likes this.
  14. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Never had a problem with Mofi sleeves. Only bought a couple of packs. Sleeve City is a very good recommendation. They do have coupon sales occasionally for cheap shipping or discount. They also have a decent variety of products on their site

hi_watt likes this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

To all the those saying 'i cant see anything'...make sure you look at them in daylight. You cant always see it clearly under some artificial lighting!

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Wow. I've used MoFi sleeves on pretty much every record I bought over the last year-plus. Probably about 200 sleeves or more. I've not noticed any problem to this point, but I'll have to look out for it. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I like these sleeves. They do a great job of eliminating static as well.

17. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I've been using the MFSL type sleeves for over two decades and do not have any issues. A bad batch can happen with any product. I'm happy to keep buying them. I was able to get a good bulk deal recently from Acoustic Sounds on their QRP version.

18. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

New reissues of pink Floyd WYWH and dire straits BIA both had a thick poly sleeve that kept leaving this white film on the records. I would wash them and store them. Next time I used, white haze on them. Inside the sleeves they felt like baby powder inside. I replaced and they are good now. For I while I was loosing my mind. I washed those lp lots. Lol.

19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Send MOFI an email and they will send replacements. I did this a couple years ago. All their new stuff is perfectly fine from what I was told and read

20. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I did that, thanks! They are sending me a new 50 to replace the bad ones. I know I said I wouldn't
    want them for free but I guess they should be ok now. They asked if I had a receipt, I told them the
    only one I had was one on file a Soundstage Direct, sent it by e-mail & he said that was fine.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. Vinyl Addict

While you you have him in your email, ask him if it's a recent problem again, would ya? I'm curious.

22. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I just received the email back, he said "the issue was actually resolved with our manufacturer a few years ago"

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Haha yeah right...

If these sleeves are still making their way into latest releases then its still an issue in my book!

24. Vinyl Addict

Thanks for the help and insight!

I'm in mass too. Shoot me a PM if ya want.

25. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Does anyone know if this issue has been sufficiently/definitively resolved at this point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.