The Ahhs in A Day in the Life-Poll*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adm62, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

we that is assuming that the ahh's were recorded at the same time as the rest of the vocals or where they added later ?

in fact is the song one linear recording or is spliced like Strawberry fields ??

2. muffmasterh

" where's Elvis ? where's Elvis ? "

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Well, that's sorted.

Not.

:nauga:

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The entire bridge section from "Woke up, fell out of bed" through the end of the Ahhs appears to have been one take, and you can hear George and John in the background for both sections. There's an audible punch in before and after.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    nikh33 and slane like this.
  5. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

The return of the zombie-ahs...

BTW, here's the proof it's John... (3:00 min).

C'mon all you guys have probably listened to every Beatles record out there and a million more. It's Paul doing his best Lennon impersonation. But Paul. Clearly...

nikh33 and Drifter like this.
  6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

john and paul, clearly. always knew it. when they sang together, it could sometimes sound like just one or the just the other. their voices were amazing.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

nikh33 and vamborules like this.
  8. Of course it is. Listen to the bass.

nasa09 likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Listen to the drums. No way is that Ringo. For that matter, listen to the singing... it's clearly not Paul. Even the commenters on youtube who think it's the Beatles can't agree on whether it's John or Paul singing, because it's neither one of them. This track features the same band as the track below. They both first appeared on a bootleg together in the 80s:

Onder likes this.
  10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I wonder if Mark Lewisohn can settle this definitively. I've got his email.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Go for it! We need to get to the bottom of this.

12. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

13. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

it sounds more like ringo than either John or Paul

14. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Maybe this poll would have produced a more accurate result if it was only open to native Liverpudlian speakers.

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

If Mark Lewisohn is correct in Recording Sessions', then John did not record any more vocals after the first two sessions.

Jan 19 - basic track with live Lennon vocal, followed by two more overdubbed Lennon vocals.

Jan 20 - reduction mix, another Lennon vocal overdub, first bass and drums overdub, first attempt at Paul's vocal in the middle.

Jan 30 - rough mix made of the work done so far. No 'aaahs' in this mix (only an 'oh ****' from Paul), indicating that they had not yet been taped.

Feb 3 - new bass and drums overdub, new middle section vocal overdub from Paul.

Even though Lewisohn doesn't mention John being in the background on Paul's vocal overdub (you can hear him do the out-of-breath sounds and some off-mic yelps during Paul's main section, and the high whine during the 'aaahs'), I believe he is correct in saying that this vocal overdub was primarily a Paul overdub, including the 'aaahs'.

In brief, if John had recorded the 'aahs' during his vocal overdubs, they would likely be on the Jan 30 rough mix. They aren't.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    supermd, lukpac, nikh33 and 8 others like this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Or someone in the know? Analog Planet, where are youuuuuuuuu!??

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

1500% NOT a Beatle singing.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Here's hoping the hi-rez 5.1 mix on the Pepper Blu-Ray will make it even more clear that it's Paul.

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think it's got to be a layering of John and Paul...you can hear them both.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I've probably mentioned it earlier in the thread but it would be weird for Paul to sing .."somebody spoke and I went into a dream" and then John takes over on the "dream" vocal. Hey John, get out of Paul's dream. :D

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

It appears that it hurts to be part of the minority on these polls.

22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Pretty good reasoning. But the ahhs are also a sound of lament and John's is the primary voice of lament in the song.

Glenn Christense and muffmasterh like this.
  23. muffmasterh

Exactly and also it is two songs stitched into one, you can hear the end of Pauls song's stitch, its after " dream " when it jumps back from Paul's song to Johns again, the ahh's are part of Johns song not part of Pauls song imho

MsMaclen likes this.
  24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well, I hope somebody will come up with the definitive answer and put this limping dog to rest.

It sounds like Paul to my ears . I find it hard to believe that John could hit some of those notes as cleanly as they end up sounding. If John could hit those notes I'd expect more grit from his vocal, but that was their era of tape speed manipulation also, so...

Anyway, whether it Paul, John, Mal Evans, or Dave Clark, it's one of the coolest, haunting , ethereal, ephemeral, wordless vocal parts that I can think of. :D

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    MoonPool and lobo like this.
  25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

And John loved having his voice manipulated...think of the eerie quality on Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, I Am the Walrus etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.