The Horrors of a Crosley turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evan L, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Git...in...that...groove already!!

Wait, I'm confused. Why are you guys talking about the direction the record's rotating based on the shot?? You're saying it's rotating backwards?

Vinyl Addict and dadonred like this.
  2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

BTW: You could play that same record on a $10k turntable with a $10k cart and record it with a phone and make a similarly invalid case for the $10k turntable sounding like sh!t. :D

drasil and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...

4. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

People laugh at Crosley but actually it's down to them that vinyl might get some new lifeblood & will be around in 10 years time. Everyone starts somewhere . I had a PYE cassette recorder in 1978. I bet their sales were better than Rega/Project/VPI & you never know if they make better decks in the future their customer might be loyal.

I remember 15 years ago Samsung made a load of toot but look at them now bigger than Sony!

lightbulb likes this.
  5. Jeff8086

Jeff8086 Forum Resident

Do bad copies spin faster than good copies?

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

OK you got me there. But the record is trashed and warped to boot. Before I rehooked my Turntable my kids bought me one of these with a Sylvania branding. Who knows what it really is. Anyway the CD player worked fine and I still use it on occasion for the radio. My turntable sits on top of it. It didn't hurt my records but it was bad harsh sound, and rumble.

7. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Is that the new Crosely audio-file cart?

sunspot42 and Orthogonian Blues like this.
  8. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Problem is what crosely owner will ever buy another record after experiencing things like that? What a waste of money. And it will end up in the trash. Crosely should be banned as it is bad for the environment. Including noise pollution.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I grew up with 78s the needle needed changing after every couple of records, you had a big box of them, no problem.
    Then the wonder that was sapphire, you still knew it had to be changed all the time it was part of listening to music, accepted.
    Then the diamond tip, it's really hard, we can now never change it, it will last forever, no.
    All these years later and we have the mighty Crosely, it's so sad.

SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  10. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

The owner of the recordstore showed me the crosley add, and told they were going to sell these.
    I advised him not to do it , that it was a crappy player, and that my toothbrush had a better motor then this toy, and that it would ruin his good reputation.
    He said that he knew that, but he was going to sell them anyway, in the hope that everyone who bought one also bought some records. Then he posted it on his facebook page, and you won't believe the amount of positive reactions! It seemed that for month after month everyone wanted to buy one . I want a red one , I want a green one. Great save a pink one for me! Really amazing !
    In the end he sold over a 125! players in less then a year, and only one person returned his player because he was not satisfied with the sound. When he offered a refund, the guy said no, i'll take the blue one over there!

We live on a different planet then real people!

11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

That's the first thing I thought; Is the record spinning backwards?

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not sure how this is different than the crappy record player I had when I was a teenager. That thing just chewed up records.

Loved that thing.

KeninDC likes this.
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Could it be the wagon-wheel effect that you get in movies?

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Took me a little while, but I found a clip where someone recorded the line out of a Crosley. Honestly, it sounds a lot better than I thought it would. No, it wouldn't appeal to most people on this forum, but it probably is as good as what most of had when we were teenagers.

The demo starts around 4 minutes in.

drasil likes this.
  15. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Yes they are awful but I have two of the things , both boxed and unused .
    I have a nephew named Trent who has a massive interest in sixties music and also plays drums for his school band and also for a local covers band .
    6 years ago Trent was given 2 Crossly turntables by well meaning relatives at Xmas , they were given on the basis that Trent loved 60's music and therefore he would love to play records !
    Trent was born blind and has overcome his handicap in so many ways but playing records on a record player is not going to be on his done that list[ by his own admittance].
    The two Crossly things ended up with me as I am the family audio tech person........... I want to sell the things and give Trent the proceeds and he is ok with this but . I have no idea how to sell them and keep my self respect!

16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Man! This song kicks a$$!!! :righton:

SandAndGlass, dkmonroe and lonelysea like this.
  17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Umm, that's how Rock 'N' Roll is supposed to sound.

Charlie Z. likes this.
  18. I'm all for anyone buying and playing records. If they start with these I'm ok with it. It partially keeps pressing plants busy.

Some folks are so defensive. You got your good gear so enjoy !

pdenny, superstar19 and ggergm like this.
  19. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Agreed with @Mazzy whole-heartedly.

If owning a Crosely gets someone into records, then it's a great turntable.

These are entry level turntables. My first turntable came from Sears and folded up to look like a suitcase. I'm sure it didn't treat records any kinder than a Crosely but without that POS record spinner, I wouldn't be here today. You've got to start somewhere.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  20. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The difference between then and now.. we could replace records with new ones. Now the records are collectibles not being treated as collectibles, and that is the crime committed.

If Uncle Ernie's half worn records end up on a Crosley, no big deal, but what about Aunt Stella's pristine RVG Jazz LP's? Should someone just play them once to make a lousy sounding MP-3, then ruin those valuables in just one play? That's irresponsibility!

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. ggergm

Jeez, I thought I saw a waterfall display of new vinyl at Barnes and Noble just last week. Must have been mistaken. :rolleyes:

And those are exactly the records Crosley buyers are purchasing, not rare ones from Aunt Stella.

To you, The FRiNgE, LPs are collectables. For others, they are not. If this hobby is to survive, it needs new buyers who eat PB&J sandwiches the same time they switch their records.

I find the attitude that records are for collecting and preserving an elitist one. No, they are to be enjoyed. If that means dancing hard while the music is being played on a Crosley and making the record skip, possibly damaging the album, great. We have another convert.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  22. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Oh c'mon... Those new records are not the same as a 1st press Doors Light My fire on a 45 RPM. Nor are they they the same as an RL press of Led Zep II, or any other recognized collectible record. Record collecting and care, and knowledge is not elitist. it is common among collectors. New collectors need to have the right info, the right message, then take it from there.

goodiesguy and Aftermath like this.
  23. ggergm

But that's my point. A Crosley owner isn't playing a rare RL press of Led Zep II. They just want DSOTM turned up to 11 and could care less if it's the 297th reissue of that title. There's plenty of time for the Crosley owner to learn the proper care and feeding of LPs once they are hooked. That's what entry level gear - and entry level LPs - are all about.

One of the hardest things for me to learn when I got into stereo sales was not to sell a customer what I wanted to own but to sell them what they wanted to buy. I think this issue falls under that guideline.

24. Walk into an EM Everyday Music in Seattle Portland and other spots. Large stores They sell tons of dog eared chewed up copies of everything cheap. Plus reissues

Worry about your own rigs and collection. I toast anyone who is patient enough to buy and play records today. On any level.

The Trinity and ggergm like this.
  25. Oeople w Crosleys ain't buying 45rpm analogue production reissues at $50 a pop.

Potential Energy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.