Digital output from iPad 1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hifisoup, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram Thread Starter

Hi all-
    Question...I have an iPod 1 and would like to know if it is possible to get the audio out from the 30-pin plug so I can connect it to a digital input on my Peachtree integrated amp.

Thanks.

2. Darksyde

Darksyde New Member

Fiio L11 is what I use for my iPod touch 4th gen and my iPhone 4s with 30 pin connectors .

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Cambridge audio iD100 dock (probably out of production, but there is always eBay), or Arcam drDock (also out of production). I can't be 100% sure whether these devices are iPad 1 compatible, but they are certainly iPad 2 compatible.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There's a Pure I-20 on eBay. I don't know my way around this stuff too well, but it looks like it has 30-pin input and SPDIF digital output.

5. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram Thread Starter

Thanks, all. I guess I'll have to do more research.

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yes, you'll need a dock.

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is line out right? I think you need Apple’s 30-pin Camera Connection Kit (CCK) if you are not going to use a dock. See if the Apple 30-Pin to USB Cables section of this helps although maybe it is a bit old How to Connect Android, iPad, or iPhone to a DAC | JDS Labs Blog »

8. Darksyde

Darksyde New Member

No camera connection kit needed , just a mini jack to rca cable . Volume is controlled through receiver .

9. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

He wants the digital output to feed to his DAC, not the analog to a receiver input.

bmoregnr likes this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

I use a Nuforce icon ido to get the digital signal to a dac. The ido has a decent dac with headphone output also. Very versatile little piece. Out of production but always available on ebay.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is curious, I assume that has a 30 pin to usb cable right; but I wonder if that cable would work with any other DAC, or if Nuforce paid a licensing fee to apple so that the Nuforce DAC could extract digital (I notice they say "for itouch, iphone, ipad"). It has been a while since I have looked at these things, but when I did it seemed to boil down to did the DAC/dock manufacturer pay apple a licensing fee hence 30 pin or lightning to the DAC/dock and you were ok; or as per the JDS Labs suggestion I posted earlier, you use an apple camera kit and as long as your power was ok and had iOS7 at the time you could extract digital.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I believe there is a licensing fee involved when a piece of gear extracts the digital signal out of a 30-pin or Lightning cable (to USB) from any Apple device. The OPPO HA-1 supports this digital-out feature. I use it regularly, and it sounds rather good.

bmoregnr likes this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yes, it is the standard 30 pin to USB cable. I believe I read somewhere they paid Apple. I can also use my iphone 5S with the ido as I have the little converter piece. Hard to beat it for all it does at the used prices.

bmoregnr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.