Phono Stages: EAR 834p vs. BAT VK-P5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl_Blues, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove Thread Starter

It's time for me to buy a new phono stage. I've owned the EAR 834p for many years, but age has finally taken its toll, and I am strongly leaning towards replacing it with a new one again because I've been so happy with its performance. However, I also have an opportunity to buy a used BAT VK-P5, and could spend a little less if I do.

I am using a Dynavector 17d3 cartridge which has an output of .3mv. With respect to gain, I am a little concerned about the BAT P5 because it only offers a max of 55db, which seems just a little low for my cart. Plus, I'm a little put off about maintaining a total of 10 tubes for the BAT.

All that said, if anyone has heard the BAT P5, I would be curious to know what they think, as I have their integrated amp and absolutely love it.

Also, if anyone has an alternative suggestion in the $1500 to $2200 price range (new or used) for a great phono stage, let me know! Thank you!

2. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

I once owned a P10, which replaced a sim solid state stage. I was disappointed in the sim and replaced it with the bat. I then left the bat behind and replaced it with a steelhead, which I still own and love. I remember first listening to the steelhead and thinking s**t, this thing is really good. As I best recall, the BAT was noise and lacked resolution. I would advise save some more cash and find a used steelhead.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

May want to look at the Luxman E-200 which a 63 gain for LOMC. Other features include a mono switch and a cart demagnetizer, Also the Rogue Aeres a tube phono w/a 64db gain for LOMC. Also has a Cinemag Sut w/will provide a very quiet soundstage. The Rogue only takes 4 tubes.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Vinyl_Blues

Thanks for the advice! The Steelhead is probably out of my price range (even used) for now, but the Manley Chinook looks pretty damn good, too. So I'm seriously looking into that one.

5. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Never heard the chinook but if they are close to a steelhead with less flexibility it will be a winner. To me, the steelhead punches way above its pricepoint and has a magic to it, kind of like a music reference rm 10.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I'm biting the bullet and going for a parasound halo jc3+ phono. I think you can pick up the older model 2nd hand for your price range.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Vinyl_Blues

Yeah, I looked at the Parasound Halo JC3+ and it looks mighty impressive. For me, though, I prefer a tube phono stage. I've been able to work some miracles in sound with NOS tubes that have made my EAR 834p sound like something twice as expensive. That said, the Parasound seems to have a lot going for it.

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

The JC3+ doesn't have the gain flexibility nor the loading flexibility IIRC. I have the Chinook and love it.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  9. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

Yes it does. The plus model has completely variable loading. The older model didnt.

10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Recent Manley Chinook owner. Bought from Upscale Audio and opted for the special edition which comes with graded and tested,
    cryo-treated Philips PCC88s rather than the stock EH 6922s. Very impressive sounding phonostage for $2400.

11. Vinyl_Blues

Awesome! This is exactly what I'm looking at right now from Upscale Audio. What did you own before the Chinook and how was the Chinook an improvement? Thanks!

12. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Was using the MM phono input of my Mcintosh MA-5200 integrated. The Manley is much more dynamic, better attack and decay. The bass is enourmous and not in the lest bit soft or bloated. Been rediscovering my vinyl collection. That's always a good thing and speaks highly of the upgrade IMHO.

whaiyun and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I found the same thing when switching from my Phonomena to the Chinook. Very robust sounding in the bottom end.

Vinyl_Blues and BluTom like this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Not sure what you mean by age taking its toll. Maybe the caps need replacing? Repairing / restoring the Ear 834 is going to be cheaper than buying something else that is "better". It's fine if you have heard something better in your system but otherwise it is always rolling the dice introducing a different component into an established chain that you like.

15. Vinyl_Blues

Well, everyone has to make their own choices on how to spend their money and how they wish to improve their system. My EAR 834p has seen a lot of use over the past eight years and its right channel is defective in that it can no longer produce sufficient volume (I checked, it's not a tube problem). It may very well be repairable, but I don't want to worry about something else going wrong in the next year or two with this phono stage, as it's already seen a lot of use.

I actually like the idea of trying a new component, and am now leaning in that direction. In fact, if I was afraid to roll the dice on a new component, I would never find the great equipment, tubes, and cables that I presently own. To each his own.

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

No I don't care which way you want to go on your system, just providing an alternative opinion to what was posted. I was just basing it on the long term satisfaction you expressed with the 834P. Most people express dissatisfaction before indicating they want to change components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.