Turntable mats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Richardson, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need a turntable mat for my new Pro-ject. I like cork but I don't like the color. Is there such a thing as a black cork mat? Dyed black? I think that would be cool.

I think what I really want is just a pure rubber like you find on old 70s turntables. But I don't see those for sale anywhere.

On my old turntable I have a leather mat but that looks too hippie for my tastes.

Any suggestions?

CCrider92 likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Aren't those expensive Herbie mats made from black/gray material?

3. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Get the acrylic platter. Then you can ditch the mat all together.

Speaking of which, has anyone done that for a rpm 1.3 genie?

Warren Jarrett and Mojo Warrior like this.
  4. Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior Forum Resident

Try using a vinyl record as a mat. Doesn't cost anything to try.

If you feel the need to spend some money a deer hide mat is favored by some aficionados.

BuddhaBob, Vinyl Addict and PhilBiker like this.
  5. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident Thread Starter

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have some thoughts to share, based on many decades of reading audio mags, attending every CES since 1984 (when records were king), discussing with industry professionals, and listening for myself.

1. Everyone has personal cosmetic preferences, so how the mat will look on the turntable, through the owner's eyes, is important.

2. Every different mat makes a dramatically different sonic effect (in a high resolution audio system). So comparing a few different types, will make a very big difference in an owner's choice. Before listening, the owner will have very specific ideas about what he likes. Once sonically compared, though, suddenly the owner will change his (or her) outlook.

3. Across the board, people who have compared, and most of the reviewers' opinions agree that the best sounding mats, in terms of detail and dynamics, match vinyl's physical density. This means Methylmethacrylate (such as the Golmund, Lurne, and Audiomeca) or Acrylic. There are many Acrylic mats on Ebay, in varying thicknesses and colors

4. A clamp or weight helps to mechanically couple the record to the mat, and therefore increases the sonic improvement it can make.

5. Remember that adding a mat changes VTA and SRA. Depending on the tonearm, it may also affect azimuth. So keep in mind the range of your tonearm height control, if any.

My story about mats is that A LONG time ago I loved the appearance of the Audioquest Sorbothane mat. It received a few positive magazine reviews, was available in a few different colors, and I thought the more a mat can absorb energy and vibration, the better it should sound. So, I loved how it looked and loved how it sounded, and I was done... until a friend loaned me his acrylic mat. I was shocked by improvements in "liveliness" and resolution of subtle details. Suddenly I HATED any rubber mat, any soft absorptive mat, and LOVED a hard plastic and glossy mat. Later I learned that acrylic has about the same density as vinyl, so a vinyl OR acrylic mat will best absorb energy from the record, very much like playing a VERY heavy and thick vinyl record.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I am now using the Herbies Way Excellent II mat, I do like it, it has a good weight for a mat. Holds on to the vinyl nicely too, they have many thickness you can buy. I had been using the Music Hall Cork mat, which is nice too....Both do a great job, not sure of sound affect but I give a tiny edge to the Herbies.

8. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I just got a cork matt the only one I've ever used is the rubber one that came with the turntable. I can't tell the difference in sound at all, but it sure looks cool.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

I got a cork one as well, and have been experimenting with it in tandem with the stock rubber mat as well as on its own.

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Love my black deerhide mat. He cuts them to whatever size you spec too. I used to use a black cork mat, (the natural colored ones look like plant coasters) I definitely prefer the deerhide.

11. sami

sami Mono still rules

I was just looking at them - you can hear a difference?

jmrife likes this.
  12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I seem to. Maybe it's all in my head. Seemed a bit more bassy and less bright with the deerhide.
    For the $25 it's a good purchase.
    I'd love to try an acrylic mat though, seems like it would be complete opposite.

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

My thoughts as well. I'll have to give the deerhide a whirl. Thanks.

Vinyl Addict and Matt Richardson like this.
  14. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

15. One thing I noticed using a cork mat, when records are played, they don't develop a static charge.

16. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Well, we could conduct a quick turntable-mat-comparison-club (TMCC), just among the participants of this thread. I can supply an acrylic mat... maybe a cheap ebay one and a very nice one from the 1990s.

First thought, send them all to me, I'll compare in my system, take notes, then pass them all to the next. Everyone donates $4 each into the stack of mats. The last member keeps the cash, and uses it to mail each mat back to the proper owner. Then we'll write our findings here and compare notes to see if there is any consistency.

Of course, for now, this would have to stay within the USA.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Jasonb likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Exactly why I went with one a couple years ago, Michigan winters tend to get pretty dry and was having all sorts of static issues with my old Technics rubber

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Which Project do you have and does it come with a mat or supposed to be used with a mat. Obviously if it is an acrylic platter model best as it is. Otherwise an acrylic platter upgrade will not cost much more than many pricey mats out there. What mat is best is model dependent. Also ask if it improves the sound rather than changes it?

19. Going back to my radio station days years ago, I remember our ancient 16" turntables were cork matted and even the newer 12"ers used cork. I'm not sure when it started, but commercial turntables with glued-on felt mats began popping up and continued to the end of the HD commercial radio station turntables production. Having 2 international commercial turntable manufacturers based here locally, the new radio stations started using Technics turntables, which cost a fraction of the price of the traditional commercial ones. Gone was the cork and the felt turntables being replaced with the rubber-matted Technics turntables.

20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm using a Herbie Way Excellent II and it's fantastic.

Fiddlefye and Sailfree like this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Got a Herbie's II mat years ago, and haven't looked back since. Excellent mat, and sometimes I experiment with placing an LP under the mat for VTA, as I cannot adjust that manually on my TT model.

Sailfree likes this.
  22. GKH

GKH Senior Member

The FRiNgE and Long Live Analog like this.
  23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. check out VIBRO STOP ! Brilliant and the best i have EVER heard. Cheap, great sound and very cool to look at! Beats all my other mats hands down

25. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

DanBNash and The FRiNgE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.