Poll--The Weakest Link: Tom Petty FULL MOON FEVER, Round 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

"Yer So Bad" thought the world had gone mad last time. "Depending On You" doesn't trust us any more.

One at a time from here out.

Discussion question: Have you ever seen Tom Petty perform any of these songs in concert? Where, when, how was it.

T7 Yer So Bad
    T7 Depending On You
    T9 Alright For Now
    T9 The Apartment Song
    T11 A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own
    T11 Zombie Zoo

2. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Really - the cover has lasted his long?

3. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Can't believe Yer So Bad is gone. One of my favourites on the album. Went with Love is a Long Road this time around.

DQ - Saw him play Free Fallin, Won't Back Down, Dream and Yer So Bad in 2012. All sounded pretty good.

tcbtcb and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Saw TP during the 1989 tour, Couldn't find a setlist for that show, but it looks like he tended to play 5-6 songs from "FMF" every night, so I guess I heard 5-6 "FMF" songs.

The show was... fine, I guess. That was 27 years ago, man - I can't remember! :D

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Feel Better

DQ: I've never seen TP live.

6. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

I'm in late on this but I think the cover song should go. It is well done, but almost too faithful to the Byrds original.

I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live one time at SPAC but I can't remember what year. I do remember one song he played: Little Red Rooster. The whole show was great, but that one song made it special for me.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was wondering something along the same lines: To what degree does "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" being a Byrds cover affect its longevity here? Would it be gone already if it were a Petty original? That sort of thing.

Anyway, I went with "Love is a Long Road" again.

DQ: Saw Petty & The Heartbreakers in '89 in New York, with The Replacements opening. Great show, and Petty played several cuts from this album.

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Love Is A Long Road

Have not seen Petty live.
    My younger brother was at Williams and they had booked Tom Petty just before Breakdown came out. He said it was a great show. The opening act, Robin Lane & the Chartbusters were also great. They had two excellent albums, but never hit it big nationally, though they were quite popular in the New England area.

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Yer So Bad at The Albert Hall, London 20 June 2012. Sounded great, just great. Mind you he could've sung anything and we'd have loved it, it was good though.

10. Love Is A Long Road

Sadly never had the opportunity to see TP over here.

Best Wishes,
    David

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Saw him way back in London on his Damn The Torpedoes tour. Guess it must have been about 1980. He was good, but not in the same league as the Boss (Bruce), though I like their albums equally now. The UK scene was so fresh and good back then with the new wave era bands (Clash, Pretenders, Police etc) coming up through great small venues, with fantastic buzzy atmospheres, that I maybe didn't fully appreciate either Petty or the Heartbreakers at the time.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm always surprised when one of the singles gets voted off early.... it's usually just the "hits" that are left standing in the final few rounds.

13. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better to go.

I've seen him twice, in 1991 & 1995. He played Love Is A Long Road, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Runnin' Down A Dream at both shows, and Yer So Bad in '91.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Gene Clark fans refuse to vote for it.

15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better

Saw him once in 2012, none of the songs above was performed

16. winston32

winston32 Forum Resident

It's interesting that the six remaining songs are the six first songs on the album. I voted for Feel A Whole Lot Better.

17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I can't vote. Ruling out a song from any Tom Petty album for me is like deciding which finger to cut off. I need all ten of them. :D

18. Joey Self

Same as it was 9 years ago: The Weakest Link: FULL MOON FEVER, Round 4 »

I'd have to go back to look to be sure, but I think the last three standing from ...NOTHING LIKE THE SUN were the first three. Examples of front-loading in the early CD era, I suppose.

JcS

winston32 likes this.
  19. Joey Self

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.