Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Grant and Cubbiegirl like this.
  2. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

New Kids on the Block? Fine, I'll leave Britney alone. :)

Grant likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The fact that my nephew had no idea who Prince was but clearly knew other 80's icons like Madonna and Michael Jackson was heartbreaking for me as a fan of Prince and as a music lover. :sigh: If Prince wasn't in the midst of a futile and ineffective war with the internet my nephew (and many others) could've shared his music videos with friends and family and that would've gained him more fans. I've discovered countless artists/bands from music videos my friends and family shared on social media.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  4. Comps sell more than almost all regular albums. Fools? I assume you are joking. Just looks at some of the biggest sellers : Beatles1 Eagles Greatest Hits

Grant likes this.
  5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

DJ LX likes this.
  6. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Some obscure vids for all to see. These are from the "Diamonds and Pearls" sessions.

Violet The Organ Grinder(on an early tack listing of D&P)

TonyCzar and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. zebop

Futile and ineffective, great terms. It's a shame. I think that's why he often seemed adrift in his recent performances, well when I saw him on TV and the like. I never forgot about him but the frame of reference was a bit off. I had forgotten he had done so much--because I didn't see it, like saw everyone else's work.

Cubbiegirl and JohnnyQuest like this.
  8. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Gett Off-Gangsta Glam

zebop, Cubbiegirl and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Maybe he didn't place much value on a generation of "customers" that weren't willing to compensate him at a rate he deemed fair? Teenagers aren't likely to be able afford tickets to his shows and they aren't buying much music. I sincerely doubt that Prince needed validation from them. I think the idea that Prince "needed" more exposure is absurd. He could go play anywhere in the world and sell tickets. Is it so hard to believe that Prince knew his own mind and made an informed, rational decision that maximized his happiness?

gary191265, Grant, JL7 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Violet was never on a early configuration of D&P, Horny Pony was though.

krock2009 likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuest

As you've said before, out of sight, out of mind. The irony of it all was that Prince was once a early adopter of the internet. Prince pulling his music off of Youtube,Spotify,etc. only increased piracy of his music. That forced fans and newbies to find different ways of acquiring his catalog. (Especially the oop albums) I doubt a younger listener is willing to pay $50 dollars for a copy of Chaos and Disorder on ebay or amazon. So how else would they go about getting it? It's common sense. :sigh:

Grant, zebop and sunspot42 like this.
  13. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I specifically remember when youtube first took off going online looking for Prince videos I had not seen in awhile. Was just a casual fan really. Saw that everything was blocked and, though it wasn't intentional, kind of forgot about Prince. Youtube was/is free advertising, and I believe artists can get a cut of some kind each time a video is played; he should have taken advantage of it.

Other thing he lost out on was publicizing some of these great shows he did over the years. That one Gently Weeps solo went viral. The Radiohead cover did too, before it was taken down. Imagine if some of the dance moves, crazy covers, wild jams....if all of those had been there online this whole time.

keyXVII, enro99, bluejeanbaby and 2 others like this.
  14. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Yes it was, along with Horny Pony, The Flow, and Schoolyard.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Certainly, he did things against conventional wisdom to maximize happiness. Many of them smart, frankly. Does it make sense to give your music away for free to dig up 200 paying customers? Or do 5,000 stupid interviews or kill yourself on the road doing 50 arenas if there are smarter ways? Get (literally) a sharp stick in the eye from your "fans" for your trouble, like happened to BOWIE?

Like, the long term arena engagements in London, LA, and (to a lesser extent) MSG. So fast forward to the recent tragedy, and people I usually dismiss and despise in our media capitals turn out to have gone to and are familiar with his MSG shows (in 2011?) where Ce-Lo Green opened, and in LA, which barely registered a blip on my radar.

So there they were on TV afterwards, with fresher memories than mine, of Prince playing to arenas and no less a superstar than back before they were necessarily paying attention.

16. JohnnyQuest

Prince does look like a glamorous gangsta in that music video. :edthumbs:

bluejeanbaby, krock2009 and zebop like this.
  17. zebop

I "found" that track among other 12 inch and special mixes of his stuff from 87-95. I liked all of the "Gett Off" mixes, this had to be the first and only time someone's sampled Lawanda Page.

sunspot42 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

I love the style, the old fashioned doo rag,the matching cars, the jewelry,etc.
    [​IMG]

zebop likes this.
  19. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

I would have to agree with this .
    As i posted i have a college student who never fails to surprise me with the music that comes from his ipod when we are riding in my car .
    Lots of good old music ... My music mixed with his music as well .
    The majority of it hes discovered thru
    Youtube and Spotify .
    So from a standpoint of hurting him , i dont know , but i do know that a lot of the younger generation pretty much arent familiar with his work
    Now as far as purchasing music and concert tickets , thats what they spend their money on !
    So yeah , it makes me sad that they are just now discovering him .

Speaking of the Radiohead cover , its back on there now .
    With a notation from Radiohead to put it back up plz
    Theres also an apology for it taking so long to put it back up .

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  20. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Prince didn't care. He had his audience already. As long as he was fillin' venues big and small, the idea of youtube offering people an indirect, crappy sounding experience of his gigs didn't interest him. He wanted them to get the real thing.

21. Hope it's not that arts and crafts store. :tiphat:

22. Exactly there are a numbers if artist who I'm not hugely into but loved their hits cd I have lots of them and for some artists , it's plenty for me.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

I totally understand this , but they arent going to go get the real thing if they werent aware of it .
    I am not arguing it as i see it both ways
    Just sad that a lot of the younger generation are into a lot of good old music but are not familiar with Prince .
    But its his music ... His choice !

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

He practically mumbles, so I didn't notice before today that he changes the verses from 1st person to 2nd person. Very different song. Wow.

Cubbiegirl likes this.