Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ha. :)

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

It got some ratings, so I think they figured, aaaaaaa, why not? There's been all kinds of shows that had mostly-unknowns but managed to go on to huge success.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

Shows " Lost for one
    The concept of this series is brilliant, never read the novel.Needs to develop at a faster pace. If it's not a dialogue based show ala Lost it needs to become more action oriented sexy/glamour Game Of Thrones. Supposed to be set 20.00o years in the future or is it a reality show staged on a desert island?

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I forgot...HOW did this end last season?... Something about a statue, with bodies around it?

5. alexpop

Yes. It was a good ending. But, nebulous as there was a certain uncertainty as to wither the show was going to get another season.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get a long "Previously on Wayward Pines..." at the beginning of the season premiere.

7. Vidiot

Sheriff Matt Dillon blew up an elevator shaft to stop the mutated humans from killing the normal humans, killing himself and injuring his son in the process. Two years pass, and the son finally wakes up in the hospital only to find out that the Nazi Youth teenagers -- whom he hated, and who rigidly enforce the rules of the now-dead scientist who founded Wayward Pines -- have taken over the community and turned it into a dictatorship. The end.
    The statue was of the evil Dr. David Pilcher, a crazed billionaire who started the community as a kind of "Noah's Ark" of the future, saving a few hundred people to continue the human race thousands of years after a worldwide nuclear holocaust in which mutated humanoids roam the earth and civilization has turned to dust.

I'm going to assume it'll pick up where it left off, and Jason Patric will essentially play a similar character to Matt Dillon's sheriff character. What blows my mind is that Terrance Howard is reportedly back in the show, and he was killed last season -- deliberately run over by Dillon's son driving the car.

8. alexpop

The statue somehow reminded me of The Planet Of The Apes.

EVOLVIST and Vidiot like this.
  9. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Thought the show was OK at best. The actor who played the son was incredibly wooden. If he is leading the next series it is doomed.

hanleyp and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

The Mom wasn't much better.

Scott222C and chronic kebab like this.
  11. chronic kebab

none of them were really anything to write home about

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Compare the WP cast to Lost or Breaking Bad...and well.

chronic kebab likes this.
  13. chronic kebab

It was miraculous how stupidly brilliant everyone in Breaking Bad was!

Scott222C and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Bad " ?
    Now that was pure genuis.
    The first 3 episodes of WP showed potential. Didn't seem to care for any of the characters.

15. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I can't believe they've done a second season when the first was one of the worst shows I have ever watched. The script was painful, acting terrible. Overall it was a joke and they've done another season! Unbelievable.

John Moschella likes this.
  16. alexpop

Have to agree with you, but I liked it.
    That is, the first 3 episodes showed promise.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

:confused:

18. Vidiot

I gotta say, he was pretty damned whiney. But I gotta hand it to the kid, he killed the sheriff (but did not shoot the deputy), so he rose to the challenge when he had to. It'll be tough for them to sustain the mystery the way they did in the first season -- most of the secrets are already revealed.

Or are they... :confused:

chronic kebab likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it's summer TV, if you are expecting good shows you are from another planet, if the summer shows were good shows they wouldn't be summer shows, they would be on the fall schedule.

never forget 'under the dumb' it got three years out summer viewers...think about it.

20. Vidiot

Hey, Mr. Robot was summer viewing and Sense8 was summer, as was Jessica Jones. All great shows that I'd watch any times. There's almost no more observance of TV seasons any more these days.

21. alexpop

Possible plot hole " how could the sleep chambers/generator keep keep working after 20.000 year's ( assuming it's in the future)?

Vidiot likes this.
  22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Anyone watch the first episode of season 2 that aired tonight? I've set the dvr so I'll catch it tomorrow. I've got to be able to race through those commercials!

23. Vidiot

The sheriff's son wakes up after a 3-year coma to discover the Hitler Youth take over, the old sheriff is dead, and bad things are happening.

They never established how they have power, food, water, and so on. I can get that they have a nuclear generator that might potentially keep on running for 50,000 years, but where are they getting steaks, fresh potatoes, corn, milk, and so on? I missed the part of the underground tour that showed 150 acres of farmland and indoor sunlights.

Even the water part of the equation is tough: thousands of years in the future, after a nuclear holocaust, how would the water not be contaminated? This is a very messy plot issue.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Why is it the stupid networks never repeat episodes? I was interested in seeing how they would continue, but I forgot to set my dvr. Oh well, one less show to keep up with.

25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

These are all very good questions, but I don't think it was a nuclear holocaust. All that happened was that humanity evolved into those creatures, which let everything fall into disrepair. But yes, how do you store food for 20,000 years that is edible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.