Fiio X5 2nd Generation 1st impression/questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by icirider, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Once I figured out what they meant by root directory it was quick and painless.

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have an X1 and love it to death. I needed a quick/dirty replacement for my dying IPOD Classic and this fit the bill and then some. Question to those that have owned both - how much better is the sound quality of the X5 vs the X1??

3. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Has anyone used the X5 Gen 2 in their car? Is the USB an output? Will it play with the SYNC systems in Fort and Lincoln using the USB out? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

PS: I use an Ipod classic with the USB output into the SYNC system in my Lincoln MKZ and it reads the entire directory ie Albums, artists, genres etc, hopefully the X5 will do the same.

Will the sound quality be better than the Ipod Classic?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

nibor,
    Did you have a chance to compare the SQ of the Gen 1 X3 to the Gen II X5 listening through the Oppo PM-3 and E12A amp?

5. Never did a did by side comparison. When I first listened to the X5 solo I thought it lacked a bit of mid range warmth that I found the X3 to have. On reflection that could come down to the better extension at the top end on the X5 and the fact I was using the HiFi Man RE600. Coupling up the E12A amp has everything sorted to my satisfaction. As well as the Pm-3 I do sometimes use my PM-1 with it as well but I feel the big Oppo doesn't fare quite as well as it does with a proper desk amp.
    Even if the sound on the X5 wasn't a big gain on the X3 for me it's worth it to have the extra storage capacity.

6. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I would be interested in the answer to this question as well

7. In the best interests of this forum and because I have nothing better to do at 5am I'm trying a little experiment with USB playback. I have the music on my Fiio arranged in folders, record by record. Using my home computer the Fiio works just like a mobile hard drive. Open the appropriate card>folder> select playback option(in this case VLC) and away we go. So it can play back ok with USB in this case at least. Whether it will auto sync with a car system I cant answer as neither of our vehicles has that option.

superstar19 likes this.
  8. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Thanks nibor, at least you settled 1 question for me, the USB outputs the signal. I am hoping that someone here has the combination of a Ford or Lincoln vehicle (SYNC) and a FiiO X5 Gen2 and use it in the said vehicle.

9. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

The FiiO's USB doesn't output an audio signal unless it's being used as a USB DAC (it can be toggled between DAC and Storage modes in the menu options) connected to a computer. In Storage mode it can only be used as like USB disk drive. If the Ford/Lincoln system can play files from a USB drive then you can use the FiiO that way, however it would just be a glorified thumb drive at that point.

10. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The extra storage would be nice as I am running around w/ 4 of the 64 variety.

11. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I picked up and X5(gen ii) this week. I had run out of room on my old device and needed to find something with more space. I'm running two 200gb cards and most of my stuff is 320kps AAC. I have started to rip some stuff in ALAC. I made the upgrade to the X5 for the space, but the jump in fidelity is nothing short of stunning (I'm coming from an iPod classic). The X5 drives my B&W P7's much better than the iPod (it's night and day). I like a warm sound, so I am finding the combination of the X5 with the P7's to be right up my alley. Looking forward to years of enjoyment from this device as I ride the train nearly 4 hours a day and have a ton of time to dedicate to portable music listening.

I'm very happy to read that others above have had a good long term track record with the company's devices. I need to pick up a smaller micro sd card so I can get set up with the 2.0 firmware & then should be all set. Highly recommend this player to anyone in the market for a portable device that can play pretty much any file type and is sonically impressive with huge storage capacity. This baby has it all.

rontoon, highway chile and Twodawgzz like this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am hoping for some help with the following situation. First off, FX 2.1 was loaded on my new X5ii, that is the latest version correct?

I loaded an album where I never changed the file names, just 01 – Unknown Track etc. When I go to the both the Folder View and Play By Category view, and choose Album, I see the album name correctly by the tag, but when I drill in I get just a list of 01 – Unknown track etc.

I set the File Name Display to Title, so when I go to Now Playing the song name shows up correctly as tagged (and I understand I can turn the scroll wheel and see the songs before and after the current playing song), but am I missing something where the tag names should be showing up in the Play By Category view when clicking on an album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.