How do you rate Prince as a guitar player?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Landis, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Interesting. I always wondered why another lead guitarist in his new band - why not a 3 piece and let Prince take all the guitar.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I don't think anyone holds "technical expertise" against anyone, except when technical expertise becomes the sole reason for the music. To a certain extent, I think technical expertise is largely irrelevant in pop/rock, if not antithetical to the whole enterprise. Technical facility, applied tastelessly, becomes a barrier to emotional communication. Some of the greatest rock and roll was performed by jazz musicians who were punching a clock (Motown's Funk Brother, the Wrecking Crew) or guys who knew not to play so many goddamn notes behind a great singer, like the studio musicians at Muscle Shoals or Stax/Volt.

So why do I like the solo at the end of the R&RHOF performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? Because at that point, the song has been building for several minutes and Prince's solo, however indulgent and showy it might have been in another context, provides some sort of release from the pent-up emotions of the otherwise dirge-like song.

Also, it was a show, not a studio recording, and in that context showmanship matters. I ended up grinning through the whole thing like Dhani Harrison, because like everyone else I was thinking, "Holy sh!t, that's Prince and he's playing guitar." A guitar geek non-fan friend wrote me afterwards and said something to the effect that while all the other guitarists on stage probably could have performed that solo, Prince actually did it and looked good doing it: "You can't beat star power."

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Since I'm a guitar player, I feel obligated to voice my opinion on this topic. Is he a good guitar player? Yes. Very good. Do I wish I had his talent on the instrument? You bet!! But, I get the sense that he perfected a particular style/technique and milked it for all it's worth. In other words a one-trick pony. Every song/video I've heard/seen it's the same schtick.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Didn't like his music, but thought he was a damn fine guitar player !

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I thought I read somewhere recently that he in fact said he wasn't able to play the guitar much anymore. Possibly because of his hip pain...?

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You mean like 99% of all the great guitar players that ever lived have done?

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Prince was arguably my favorite guitar player. I wish he'd done more guitar-based work - I loved the rockers!

Purple Jim, johnnyyen and zebop like this.
  8. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

His guitar on 777 is sizzling.

HotelYorba101 and porpoise mouth like this.
  9. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

What style did Prince oerfect that hasn't been done before? He is not an innovator when it comes to guitar unlike Holdsworth, Malmsteen, Van Halen,, and Vai. As for one trick pony, almost all guitarists have the bag of licks that they use over and over. If Gary Moore was alive he could have killed that song .

You need to watch Yngwie Malmsteen performing in 80's, mind bogling technique and an amazing showmanship. Check out Kree Nakorie with Alcatraz, 20 years old and no one could play like that in the 80's., .OR watch Steve Vai performing "For the Love of God with Violinist Anne Marie Calhoun.

Amazing Violinists Ann Marie Calhoun and Alex DePue performing with Steve Vai ยป

I play guitar have been playing for 30 years and IMHO Prince couldn't hold a candle in the lead department to the following players:

Allan Holdswirth, Ymgwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, John McLaughlin, Frank Gamable, Paul Gilbert, John Sykes, Al Di Meola, Gary Moore, Michaek Angelo, And Frank Zappa.

Just because he is famous and is playing over a Beatles song doesn't make it the most blistering solo ever.

10. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

Wrong link for Steve Vai. Here is the correct link:

11. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Love Sykes's solo on Whitesnake's "Is This Love" ... makes the song worth listening to.

And come on ... sure, there's been some hyperbole about Prince as a guitarist, only natural because he just died. Same will happen when some of those guys you mention die too. But he could "hold a candle" to them, even if he wasn't quite as good.

zebop likes this.
  12. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

You hit in right on the head. Once a star dies they get elevated. Like I said before He was not an innovator on guitar. Your statement quite as good, Should be not nearly as good. It takes way more skill to play Jazz Fusion than standard Rock/pop guitar. The best musicians in Jazz, Jazz fusion never get recognised becasue of the music they play.

So we can agree to disagree. But to each his own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Did you watch the Steve Vai video i posted? Please watch.

Cheers

13. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I think the best way to put this was that Prince was a great rock/funk/R&B guitarist...but he was not terribly innovative. He will never be remembered as a guy who changed the landscape of guitar playing (guys like Hendrix, Van Halen, Holdsworth, Malmsteen, etc.). That being said, he was a total bad-ass on the guitar, especially because he was essentially a part-time guitarist.

And, just to be clear, saying that he was a great player who wasn't an epochal innovator is in no way damning with faint praise.

saturdayboy, Purple Jim and Lonson like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Nicely put WL. I can definitely hear the innovations of Vai, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Holdsworth, etc. but I don't listen to them and enjoy their music. (Can't say the same about Hendrix, I'm a fully freak flag Hendrix fan). I really enjoy Prince's playing.

Done A Ton likes this.
  15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

OUTSTANDING!!!

16. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I just posted this clip in the RIP thread but thought some of the Hoffmanites following this thread might enjoy it as well. Kind of unusual as it has a country flavor but rocks in the end.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A great solo from Prince here:

Yost likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Here also. Amazing how he goes from such an intense solo straight into the most delicate of ballads:

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Whatever kind of music it was Prince could hang with anyone on guitar!
    Blues go for it.
    Rock definitely.
    Jazz without a doubt.
    Country you bet.
    Gospel yep.
    Funk naturally.

The man could absolutely play the guitar, and don't forget he knew how to absolutely thump a bass as well.

He was an absolutely great guitarist!

EVOLVIST, Lonson and johnnyyen like this.
  20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Outstanding. I only saw him live once, but he was by far the best musician I had ever seen live. And if someone like Eric Clapton says he was one of the best, then I'll take his word for it.

21. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The WEXP "Compares" tribute featured a hot Whole Lotta' Love into Even Flow by Pearl Jam

23. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Hendrixian.

saturdayboy likes this.
  24. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

totally!!! iv'e seen a lot of great guitar players who hendrix influenced (SRV, buddy guy, eric johnson, john mayer (with trio), etc....) but in my opinion prince was closer to hendrix than all of them. he seemed to be able to do anything he wanted on guitar. maybe not an innovator, but a virtuoso on the highest level.

mtruslow and Wounded Land like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.