Poll: 'Raising Sand' album by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

As a big fan of both Robert Plant and Allison Krauss, I was underwhelmed with this cd. Would have been much better if they were harmonizing or trading off verses more, instead of alternating songs. It seemed to me as more of a Robert Plant cd that Allison Krauss guested on, than as a true collaboration.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    bobc likes this.
  2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Agree with my friend from the nation's Capitol.
    Great sounding vinyl and a fine album.
    I am a fan of both artists.
    Glen

Sean, Bill and ConnieGuitar like this.
  3. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I am listening to it again at this very minute! I never need an excuse to put it on.

Plant's contributions to this album seem to be getting short shrift - it's just as much his as Krauss' in my opinion. His vocals just float - "Polly Come Home" a case in point - the two of them together are practically ethereal. They created a sound together that it feels like way too many (in Americana in particular) have attempted to replicate since, with most coming up short and sounding fey in the process.

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Bought the cd when it came out & although i do like it , i never feel like putting it in :shrug:

5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I haven't heard it in a while I guess, but I remember them harmonizing quite a bit on it.

6. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It was the first post-Zep Robert Plant release I ever bought, so I remember being initially thrown by his vocals, but it's a really good album. Not something I turn to frequently, but definitely worth a listen. "Please Read the Letter" is a lot better here than on Clarksdale, although "Rich Woman" is my favorite song by far.

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Ok, so I did a quick skim of the album. It has 13 songs. 7 of them (more than half) feature them harmonizing together. The other 6 where they sing separately they split evenly. So I definitely would disagree about the Robert Plant cd comment.

A lot more of a collaboration than the Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris cd, which I also enjoy.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    dylankicks likes this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Actually in a way it took him back to the folk roots that Led Zep explored on Side 2 of III and "The Battle of Evermore."

9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I have Raising Sand along with the rest of Plant's solo albums. FWIW, I greatly prefer his more hard rock-oriented 80's and early 90's solo work to the folksy style he's been using since Dreamland.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't have it - not interested in changing that...

11. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Yes.

Yes, it is.

12. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Yes, I have the CD. Excellent.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I don't think it is a must have album for Robert Plant fans and especially not for Led Zeppelin fans simply because it's in such a different vein. Having said that I love the album.

14. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

I'm a much bigger fan of hers than of his. I don't think it's essential listening for fans of either. I had high hopes for this album but just didn't find it that interesting.

15. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Yes, it has the sticker that it was optimized for LP. Kevin Gray cut it.

[​IMG]

16. Totally agree, great album but too much bottom end, a kind of "muddy" sound

17. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Is there a difference in sound (and i mean by it a different mastering) between the black and clear vinyl?

18. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

What??!!! This album is beau-ti-ful!!! And when I hear it i am astouned by the chemistry

vitorbastos123 and ConnieGuitar like this.
  19. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Optimised??! It sounds like crap!! A shame!! One of my favourite records!! Way too much bass

EddieMann and Fishoutofwater like this.
  20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well...the clear was a Newbury Comics exclusive, and those are typically the same mastering that's in print at the time they're issued.

However, my black copy is a 1st pressing, and it was later re-pressed and I think that it was a different mastering used for everything after that initial run. It's really tough to read the deadwax on the clear one, but I believe Kevin Gray actually did the mastering for the 2nd pressing. I've never A/B'ed them, but they both sound good.

21. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I bought the CD and later upgraded to the vinyl record. The sound on the two LP vinyl is fantastic. This is my favorite zeppelin related release ever.

22. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

This is a great recording. The low end is muddy by choice. Mostly stand up bass and low Fi drums. Fits the music perfect.

Plant was really challenged to make this. Never had done much in the way of harmonies before. Love the blend of their voices.

It's a mood record, put it on late at night and let it settle around you.

I love the cover of Gene Clark's song (can't think of the name now)

23. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I have the CD and I like it a lot. I saw the tour in its early stages in Birmingham (UK). Plant seemed slightly in awe - if you can believe it - of both Krauss and Burnett. He seemed much more in control and comfortable on the subsequent tour with Patti Griffin.

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Marketing is a wonderful thing! I have both the CD and the LP:cheers:

25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

If memory serves me right there were 2 versions of the LP, the first version of the LP was mastered at Capitol and the second version was cut by Kevin Gray. I have both.

JG

Unluckystrike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.