Thiel 3.6 tweeter bad?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jrr, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys. I understand the fluid in the tweeters Thiel used in the 3.5 and 3.6 can go bad and can be sent to Thiel for refurbishment. I also have heard there is an exact replacement you can buy for a lot less, though I don't know how smart that move would be. Is there anyone here knowledgeable about this issue? I ask because I have owned these since I bought them new around 25 years ago. I had not used them for a few years and now, though the tweeters do work, the speakers just sound dull and lifeless, not at all how they used to sound. Same electronics going to them....Krell pre, Adcom amps (2 GFA 555's). I would understand comments suggesting the problem is elsewhere but if the tweeters are likely bad because of the liquid issue, it sounds like I should start there but want some input on whether it is a given that the liquid is bad. Thanks as always! This is the best place to get advice!

2. It probably goes without saying, but, if your diagnosis indicates the need for tweeter replacement or fixin I would advise getting both done or replaced & make sure they are a closely matched pair. Probably not an issue if they go back to Thiel, but otherwise a possible concern?

3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Have you used the speakers long enough to be sure they have awakened following a couple years of non-use? It's been my experience in swapping speakers that haven't been used for a couple months that they take a couple days to wake up and assume their normal sound. I had Thiel 3.6 speakers back in the 1990s, purchased new, and I recall they took several hundred hours for initial breakin. It wouldn't surprise me if they take a bit longer than other speakers to wake up if not used for a couple years.

timind likes this.
  4. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

The 6 Db crossover will probably eliminate any off the shelf standard drivers.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If it's an "exact replacement" why not? Not being absolutely perfect matched really won't kill anything.

6. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

I doubt there's an exact replacement. These drivers were built to spec to enable use of a 1st order crossover.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I played them all the time until I moved to Colorado 10 years ago, got real busy working and they have been seldom used since. I can go months, easily, without using them. Sounds like that isn't a good thing to do to speakers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.