Rolling Stones Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

I just purchased a needledrop of the mono Aftermath. A bit underwhelming, to be sure, but Under My Thumb, Take It Or Leave It, Doncha Bother Me, and I Am Waiting are superior in mono IMO.

Magnus A. likes this.
  2. tages

tages Senior Member

I've got an original 1965 UK stereo copy of "Take It Easy With The Walker Brothers".

[​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  3. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...I remember my deception when I receiped the LP " out of our heads" I have ordered in UK in 65...written "stereo" it was completely MONO....!!!!!

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

And a fourth generation dub, at least.

5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

IS THE uk ONE all fake stereo too, and is the UK export verion which has the same tracks as the USA all fake ?? ( apologies if this has already been posted, i came in late to this )

6. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

UK, UK export, US - all "stereo" copies are that dreadful fake/electronic stereo.
    AFAIK, the only Out Of Our Heads tracks that´s been (officially) released in true stereo are Satisfaction, Play With Fire and Heart Of Stone - and not on any Out Of Our Heads version/pressing...

Aftermath likes this.
  7. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

What, really? This is a thing? As a physical item or as a download?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct. The Last Time has circulated unofficially, and Good Times was slated to be issued on Necrophelia in stereo (with additional overdubs), but that wasn't released.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not a legal thing. But it's a thing that exists. I much prefer it to the stereo.

10. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Not quite correct. I posted in this same thread back in 2014 ( where does the time go?). I have an Austrlian mono press of #2, early 80s re-issue. All the Chess tracks are true stereo. The other tracks are indeed in mono. There was another post that mentioned a 1978 French pressing in the same configuration.

Mylene and Aftermath like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

True...I forgot about those. But regardless I was just making a general statement.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have Aftermath in both mono and stereo pressings. The Monarch stereo pressing is absolutely stunning in my opinion. The mono didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

13. muffmasterh

are they also not in stereo on the Rolled Gold comp ??

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Rolled Gold is not #2 or OOOH. They are also available on a 70s/80s 5x5 uk reissue EP, but I didn't mention that for this reason.

15. muffmasterh

no i was just asking about Rolled Gold since the UK oooh and its export are both fake stereo

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The original or the recent reissue? It's been years since I listened to the original, but I'm pretty they're not in true stereo. I don't have the recent reissue.

The lack of availability of these tracks in true stereo on vinyl is why the recent clear vinyl reissue of 12x5 - using the folddowns when a DSD master with true stereo exists - was so disappointing.

17. muffmasterh

yes it was the original.....i now feel cheated lol !!!

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only Chess tracks on Rolled Gold are It's All Over Now and Time Is On My Side. I don't recall if they are stereo on the LP or not, but they are in stereo on Big Hits.

Tangent: is it true that Big Hits contained fake stereo mixes originally, which were later replaced by true stereo when available? Or were stereo issues always true stereo (when available)?

19. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

IIRC, yes. (Now I only have the early LPs in mono)
    I bought the UK stereo LP on release - no true stereo tracks.
    Highly unlikely that the US LP had any true stereo tracks, as it was released before Aftermath, which was their first true stereo LP.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks. FYI, I was referring to the UK LP, which did get true stereo mixes later; the US LP never did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.