Turntable mats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Richardson, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Member

Is the label 'cutout' important ? I am awaiting my first turntable and this will be my first upgrade for both looks and I sound improvement.

2. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Member

3. [​IMG] Just had a couple of black Delrin platters for my Rega P25 machined by a friend from some excess material he had. As such, I should be officially up "off the mat". :biglaugh:Can't wait to get home tonight and try one out! My Oracle Delphi platter has a Delrin surface and it is made to be used without a mat----so the Rega should now be OK without a mat.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

I switched from felt to cork and failed to notice any difference.

dchang81 and PhilBiker like this.
  5. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I think you'll love the Delrin, loved the GT on my P25, I wish there was a delrin platter for my RP8. No mat used on the platter as it's designed to be used without one however trust your ears. Let us know your findings...

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'll run against the grain of what you find universally accepted and disagree then. I prefer different mat materials on different tables. There is no one type that is best on every table. It's a system of complimentary components.
    -Bill

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Here's what I like about this thread:

Every body is talking about audiophile add on products that are actually affordable! Ten dollar cork mats from Amazon...

How often do we see this happening???

johnny q, PhilBiker and Chewbacca like this.
  8. My initial findings were "off the chain"! I expected a modest improvement at best, (I replaced a fine Funk Firm Acroplat platter) but I was shocked at how the massive Delrin slab took my P25 to a whole new level. I will do more listening tonight to make sure the improvement I experienced was not just "wishful hearing". I try to be a very objective listener and don't always jump to conclusions that new or different is always better. In this case, the improvement I experienced was less than subtle and I think my initial but limited sonic experience was legit. I will keep an open mind as I log more listening hours with the new platter. I had very modest expectations for improvement with the Delrin platter, but was blown away right out of the gate. I will strive to continue to be objective with my evaluation, but I will be surprised if my opinion changes over time based on my fabulous and surprising first impressions.

9. Long Live Analog

The difference is not subtle that's for sure, more like veils have been lifted. the more you listen the better it gets. Keep us posted on your findings...

Sailfree likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

10mm/20mm is thick. I hope your VTA is adjustable.

11. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

I've had 2 deerhide mats. and certain record stick. and I really cant tell a difference in sound compared to the rubber one

12. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I use a $3 homemade cork mat. Looks like hell; plays like heaven!

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

That made me laugh! It reminded of the description of a particularly underachieving football player: "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane". :)

15. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

From the description of the sound, just the opposite- "Looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan" :) By the way, I've recently converted to cork mats for my Rega P3 (from the standard felt) and Dual 1019 and find it sounds better - clearer bass, more detail. Interestingly, it dulled the sound too much on my Lenco L75. You never know until you try...

16. Long Live Analog

I use George Merrill's RCC (rubber, cork, compound) on my Rega and agree cork can do wonders, highly recommended...

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    CCrider92 likes this.
  17. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Apart from the standard rubber mats that came with various tables I've cork (great on the TD-125, not so hot on others), deerhide (excellent on the Ariston RD 11s) and Herbie's on the Rek-O-Kut B-12H and Technics SP-15 - fantastic. I'm probably going to invest in another Herbie's for the TD-125 at some point.

18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I bought one and then it started "shedding" cork dust on my LP's. Not worth the hassle at all...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

I bought the acrylic platter for my Project. I love the simplicity. It's a nice upgrade to the standard platters, and... no mat needed. Plus it looks really cool :cool:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. Long Live Analog

Auditorium 23 (A23) are also very good mats. There are two, the Standard/Thin Mat for decks where VTA is not easily adjusted and the Hommage Mat (1/8 in thick) both are great and no static issues...

IanL likes this.
  21. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

question, if I wanted a herbie mat for my turntable which is a AT120, what size should I get? thanks.

22. irender

irender Forum Resident

Send Steve an email and he'll help you out. He's a great guy and has excellent customer service. I use a Way Excellent II mat on my Systemdek and love it.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I love my Herbie's mat for my Technics SL-1401. I'm experimenting with an old LP under the mat, just to give it a little more height. I don't have height adjustment on my Technics, and I've seen a little change in the sound, for the better.

24. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Not to hi-jack the thread but is anyone running a Pro-jectRPM-1 Carbon? I would like to change the flimsy stock mat but have no idea which mat to choose. The foam mat is very thin so can't go very thick..
    Anyone?

25. Long Live Analog

I believe Pro-ject has a cork mat for their decks however I would go with the their acrylic platter, with the acrylic platter no mat is used plus it look cool and sound great.

TheVU likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.