Which Hi-Fi magazine do you read more often?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I like the forums but in magazines I really do enjoy reading about stereo equipment and the record reviews are great.

2. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Pretty sure you have to at least be a member, so I imagine physically living in the county the library is in. The Zinio mag site requires you're logged into the participating libraries website.

uofmtiger likes this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I haven't read a stereo mag since 1970.

Did I miss anything ??

GuildX700 and Airbus like this.
  4. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Stereophile and HiFi+ hard copy. TAS is unethical, and generally reads like ad copy. I peruse HiFi News and HiFi World at the local Barnes and Noble.

HiFi+ used to be a lot better, before the buyout and merger with TAS. Lots of crossover content now, and a somewhat diluted editorial perspective.

I generally like HiFi World. Their reviews are succinct and they have extensive coverage of tubes, vinyl and vintage, all areas of interest to me. I am a bit dubious of there obvious preference (bias ?) for Icon Audio products. Seems like every one of their products is "recommended"; wonder if there is a a business relationship between the two entities.

I check "Daily Audiofile" from time to time. This is an online aggregator of links to various audio websites. I check Tone Audio, Positive Feedback and 6 moons from time to time. All are free, and with all you get what you pay for.

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Subscribe to TAS and S'Phile, largely from habit (like my Sunday NYT) and their relative affordability...but of course, I realize they don't make their money from subscribers so I know what drives them. Sadly, I noticed over the last few years that they can pile up unread at home as I get more and more info online, but sometimes they are really fun still to read and a shame to dump, so they stick around. There's a different reading experience with mags that I still enjoy, if I can bring myself to pick one up :) Also use Daily Audiophile as an aggregator, enjoy Tone when I read it but (sorry guys) cannot bridge the gap to subscribe to an e-mag....I know, I know....but tangibility matters to me, right or wrong, which is why my music collection is largely vinyl. Maybe I'm just old.

Wes H likes this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I liked the writing quality of TAS when HP was there but now I just visit enthusiast websites for audio info including here.

Wes H likes this.
  7. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I get Stereophile and Sound & Vision on Zinio for free through my local library. You should check yours. Many are offering it now. Don't have to check it out either. Downloads like I'm paying for it.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Haven't read one in years, decades actually.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My library doesn't seem to have e-magazines that I'm interested in. I'll ask one of the librarians. Maybe I'm searching the wrong area of the catalog to find them.

One reason I do subscribe to Stereophile is to support them with a subscription. Most of the reviews end up on their web site. I could get by without the subscription, but I don't want to be a total freeloader. I hope the subscription also helps to support InnerFidelity, AnalogPlanet and AudioStream. The Stereophile enterprise is a great resource. Stereophile actually costs me less than this place does (I donate each year).

pscreed likes this.
  10. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Thanks Ham sandwich, the only reason we still have magazines is that people buy them. Otherwise they would all go the way of High Fidelity, the Sensible Sound and so many others.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you knew anything about Alan Sircom, you'd realise the above is tosh.

One of the more honest reviewers out there and made that magazine one hell of a lot better than Roy "Nordost" Gregory ever did. His contribution on various fora is excellent and more open.

The below is their glowing review for two £350 components from 2009. Not an Odin in sight, thank God.

Cambridge Audio Azur 650 Series CD Player & Integrated Amp (HiFi-Plus 68) »

12. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I subscribe to Stereophile,Sound and Vision and TAS.

13. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I used to subscribe to Stereophile for a couple of years until I finally realized the products in their magazine were out of reach financially.Kind of like Hot Rod mag.In the late 90s the builds in the mag were just way too far ahead of where I was at.If it doesn't apply to you ,you lose interest.

14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You're free to believe what you wish. That's the joy of this place. Even when you're wrong, you can believe anything you wish And in this case, like the other, you're wrong. I've found his magazine to be one of the driest, BS that I've read in a long time, except for it's sister, TAS.

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Your free to believe what you like, etc., blah....

16. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Feel free to blah.

17. Brother_Rael

Not sure what your problem is Mike, but seemingly my interest and recommendations in actives is causing you some disquiet. Your ignorance is your loss.

With that in mind, I think you've cornered the Blah market. Yours to have and enjoy I think.

18. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

Nice dog there; are you high on that movie?

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

None now that The Audio Critic has gone out of print. It was the last of the truly honest hi fi mags which tempered subjective testing with some objectivity. They tested and published sound metrics on the components tested (often contradicting claims by manufacturers) and even pulled components apart to report on build quality and value for money. They also had a section at the end reviewing recordings (mainly classical CDs) commenting on the mastering and sound quality. It was always a publication run by the passion of its staff, as it did not accept any advertising from manufacturers that dabbled in snake oil or made claims that could not be supported. It folded a year ago when the editor, Peter Aczel, retired (he was 90 years old).

www.theaudiocritic.com/

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me neither. I used to subscribe to Stereo Review decades ago.

21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Stereophile is fav. I also take Sound and Vision and enjoy it for what it is. I dropped The Absolute Sound.

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I used to get Sterophile in the 90s, back when I could barely afford a couple of CDs a month much less anything they wrote about. Even then the subscription was almost free. I later subscribed to "Listener", which I still miss. I also got some other title for a while that I can't for the life of me remember. It died a long time ago.

Since letting my subscriptions lapse (or watching the pub die) I haven't resubscribed. I used to pick up a Stereophile or TAS from the magazine racks when I'd go to a book store, but for a few years now I never seem to be able to find them.

dan c

23. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Sub to Ab Sound and Stereophile mainly so that my peeps have something to give me at xmas . I do dig the photos and wishing!

pscreed likes this.
  24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I subscribe to Stereophile and Tone (they both do a good job on iPad format). I guess I might take more if they had the same digital availability. I remember liking What Hi- Fi a long time ago in the print era but they seem to have got a bit silly a while ago.

I like the idea of British hi fi mags on iPad, are there any good ones?

Heck I wish I could get Mojo on iPad too but I think that's not out there?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

25. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Stereophile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.