Deep Purple "Book Of Taliesyn" lost mono tapes issued at last!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MONOLOVER, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Cheap bootleg sound quality cassettes that were common in the cut out bins in the late 80s to early 90s when I was in music stores and found out about these albums. I'm sure they were around many years prior to me finding them. These cassettes, like the LPs had the Tetragrammaton label but can be identified by their poor quality blurry artwork and terrible needledrop sound. The labels were ugly looking as well. These were just as bad or worse than the Creative Sounds releases.

2. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident Thread Starter

ruben lopez likes this.
  3. MONOLOVER

Yup it should have said - "...issued on vinyl at last". My mistake. Is it possible to change the title now?

4. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I remember those too. I used to see them in gas stations.

dlokazip likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

[​IMG]
    And this "best of deep purple" from creative sounds, which was a Mk I compilation. But, the pictures on the cover were of the Mk IV lineup

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I thought the Tetragrammaton pirate LP's were from the late 60's or early 70's?

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have this cd and their third S/T album from Creative Sounds. I got the S/T cd from Walmart for about $3 or $4 a long long time ago.

8. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Not yourself, I don't think. You have 30 minutes to make an edit to anything after posting it, including threads. Maybe ask a Gort?

MONOLOVER likes this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I definitely bought these on the pirate cassettes in the late 80s. Awful sounding and looking with blurry artwork and sound like they had been recorded using a tin can as a microphone. I'm pretty sure they appeared in the cut-out cassette rack at the local Meijers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  10. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Does anyone have a line on a US distributor for this LP?

(not sure that will happen since it was apparently a Record Store Day item...)

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, there were bootleg LPs then and Bootleg cassettes in the 80s.

12. Wuther

Wuther Prog Rock Explorer

I personally did not like it at all. At least the new copy I have recently received from Amazon.ca. The cover design is beautiful, and the white vinyl is amazing, but... It sounds distant, flat and is lacking required details and clarity which my German/Crystal stereo version copy has bounteously got:
    Deep Purple - The Book Of Taliesyn »

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    metalrules likes this.
  13. MONOLOVER

Don't agree. Got the EU Harvest version bought first day and it's very good mono - big, bouncy and clear. Never heard that German, but will try if I find it in a used bin eventually.

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If you have a Half Price Books near you, keep an eye out. I found a copy there last month. Half Price Books seems to source a lot of their new lps from Europe and occasionally interesting things do turn up amidst the sea of crappy Digidoxy reissues.

MONOLOVER and Arkoffs like this.
  15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I've seen it show up at our Half Price locations here as well. I'd already picked up one from Amazon.ca a few months back.

I'm sort of curious about these copies that are around now. Wasn't this supposedly limited to 400 copies for Record Store Day? I guess it must have been repressed ... the copy I bought certainly does not appear to be a bootleg; it's got the same sort of deadwax markings as the other straight UK reissues that have been coming out on Record Store Day the last few years (Rainbow Pfolly, Tomorrow, July, etc.). But the fact that it has appeared at Half Price, the home of gray label European releases, makes me wonder.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  16. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

After reading this and curbach's post, I stopped by Half Priced Books over lunch and sure enough there was a copy complete with the "Record Store Day Release" sticker on the front. I picked it up but am waiting until I get home to crack it open. Hope that it is on white vinyl like the original release for RSD was.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  17. curbach

Mine was. Had the sticker too. I'm pretty confident these are legit. Mine had a little warp which I decided I could live with given there were no other copies to exchange it for.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  18. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

OK got this one from Collectors Choice on Discogs for about $10. It's on white vinyl pressed in EU and sounds great! It has the RSD sticker on front cover too. Vinyl is very quiet and flat.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  19. TheHypnoToad

Got home and opened it and yep, white vinyl. All the dead wax matches, so I'll agree that it appears to be legit and that it sounds great. Thanks for mentioning that Half Price Books had copies. Still wondering if these are excess copies or what they might be but I'm not complaining. Maybe next year copies of this year's Etta James RSD release will start showing up at Half Price Books since I couldn't find one at a realistic price this year.

Arkoffs and MONOLOVER like this.
  20. MONOLOVER

Interesting with the sticker. I bought my EU Harvest white vinyl at record store day in Sweden. Picked it out of five copies that delaler had...and non of those had the sticker! Maybe the original badges differed.

21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Interesting, I bought my EU Harvest a month or two after RSD last year here in Sweden and it had the sticker.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  22. MONOLOVER

Hmmmm...so either from different stacks...or there were more than one pressing...or maybe they were out of stickers for the copies my dealer got.

In any case - top album, top pressing and top audio. Sticker or not. :agree:

GyroSE and Arkoffs like this.
  23. TheHypnoToad

Yep and it's not like it was missing an OBI. :laugh:

MONOLOVER likes this.
  24. curbach

A rare moment with everyone out of the house and I'm cranking this baby. Really digging the mono "Kentucky Woman" :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.