Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

At the bottom of page 1 and this thread is already the funniest ever

2. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

Generally people I know roll their eyes and say, you really still buy them? I have the room to put them, they aren't too expensive and I can rip them t listen to anywhere. I see no downsides. I've never been into records and probably never will. I just don't ave the space nor want to spend the money on record technology. While I like things to sound good, I care more about the music than the format.

The wife does give me the look when I bring home a a stack a CD's, but as long as I don't spend much, she doesn't care.

MYQ1, Jackson and Spanish Prisoner like this.
  3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I was in That's Entertainment near Castleford last week, I picked up 6 CDs and went to the counter. At that point my Mrs walked in to meet me (she'd been looking around clothes shops), and I was delighted that she was there when he put them through the till and asked me for just under £10 , as I'm convinced she never used to believe me every time I told that my latest acquisition had cost about £1 !

She only really deals in Asda friendly new releases at about £9 each...

I love That's Entertainment/Zoverstocks etc.!

adriatikfan likes this.
  4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's just getting to be too much of a hassle. The shipping costs are going up. I just tried to buy Van Halen 5150 on Amazon and they want more for the shipping than the actual disc. It's cheaper to buy it on iTunes and I get it now, not a week from now. I think I've bought my last CDs outside the rare, audiophile release.

The problem is that there is not an alternative that both has good quality and an attractive price. iTunes is about the best bet and I'm probably going to be kicking myself for buying lossy files if I ever buy a good sound system.

The labels need to step it up and offer FLAC, ALAC downloads at a reasonable price. I'd really like to see audiophile labels go that route as well, maybe offer a DSD download the way Acoustic Sounds does.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  5. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Let the trendies scoff at CDs. A lot of people really like vinyl for the right reasons. A lot of trendy clowns drink craft beer, wear beards, ride bicycles, don't work, and buy vinyl because it's "cool." Never follow the herd on ANYTHING.

6. 32XD Japan1

Hey, it's just the sheeple in action. Remember he's actually "asleep" in his trance-like stupor, trapped in a matrix he'll never escape. :uhhuh:

Holy Diver likes this.
  7. 32XD Japan1

You are right. I think in a lot of cases it's right on point. Kinda like a bunch of yuppies only driving Suburus and drinking craft beer. And buying vinyl because CDs are passe. They're just so above it all. :buttkick:

8. A recent British survey found that around 45% of new vinyl was never opened or played.It is just a fashion statement for hipsters for a large part of the market.
    Here in Australia last year CD sales were down by 4% and vinyl up by about the same amount but from a very small base.The big surprise was that there was a big drop off(10-20% ) in downloads which many see as the way of the future.Streaming had a large increase-can't remember the number- but that is a negligible income stream for artists.
    A more accurate title for this thread might be "Do you get scoffed at for still buying downloads"?

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  9. Wordnat

Wordnat Active Member

I've loved CDs since my parents got me a player for Christmas in 1984. :)

MYQ1 likes this.
  10. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

That's not too surprising as streaming is where the growth is at, not just here. IIRC, these are similar stats to what the RIAA reported for the USA market. It is really a logical evolution of the music market for the masses (not necessarily audiophiles who make up a tiny fraction of the market). The evolution saw LPs give way to CDs, CDs to downloads and now downloads to streaming. While it is true that the artist's share of the income is very small, it has also opened up opportunities for others who a generation ago would have gotten nowhere if they didn't land a contract with a record label. The money artists now make is through live performances and merchandise.

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  11. 32XD Japan1

Everything you said is right on point. Let me just add that streaming requires the absolute least amount of effort. So for the average lazy Joe Six Pack it makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

CDs are the new vinyl, and cheaper.

Erik B., basie-fan and MYQ1 like this.
  13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

It won't be long, if I gave a CD to my daughter what could she do with it? All her music is on her phone and her laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. She's at university and all her friends are the same. They see a CD as old technology, a thing of the past, just when I'd caught up!

14. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

I love it people are silly enough to out their CDs to charity shops , I always pick up bargains .

If some people actually heard the genuine sonic potential in a well mastered CD then there would be no scoffing.

Carl Swanson and MYQ1 like this.
  15. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

I would never scoff at anyone for buying CDs but I personally find them redundant now that we have streaming & downloads. If you want the best sounding CD pressings for the likes of Bowie or Floyd then it will also cost you a lot more than getting a better sounding vinyl pressing.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A good vinyl rig doesn't come cheap.
    To obtain orig vinyl today would cost you a arm and a leg with current prices.

17. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

I'm not sure where you're located but there are plenty of good vinyl rigs that can be had for £150 - 200 on some UK audio forums. You can also get good quality represses from the likes of Rhino that are around £15 and sound better than the originals. You have to be more patient with vinyl but you will find good deals with discogs, ebay, forum classifieds, craiglist/gumtree, fairs and charity shops. I know it's still more expensive than CD but I would rather buy vinyl & stream over buying CDs

18. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

As long as they buy music then I won't say anything. Same with streaming services. If the artist is ok with it then I suppose all is good. My only problem is music pirating. At least invest in your music rather then stealing it.

If anyone scoffed at me for buying CDs, then I didn't notice. I was to busy looking at the CDs. There is one record store in my town. It is owned by two hippies from the 60s and 90 percent of what they sell is vinyl. They have some CDs but not many. I have only bought CDs there once but they didn't seem to mind. They just smiled and took my money.

19. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

There are many other avenues besides Amazon for buying inexpensive CD's such as thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, library sales, and independent music stores.

You may want to try some of these options. Obviously, they will require a little more work than simply clicking a mouse, but for many of us, it is well worth the effort.

20. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I dunno, sound quality wise I prefer my RCA Bowies and Black Triangle Pink Floyd CDs to my same LPs. But your point is valid. Although second hand vinyl is generally more expensive than CDs, better sounding OOP CD pressings usually cost a lot more.

21. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

It is my most played format and has been since the late 1980’s; the last Lps I bought were all purchased as new releases in 1987.

Not aware of people scoffing although a video may well be posted on youtube someday showing the
    whole Amazon warehouse staff in hysterics every time an order is placed for CDs.

Still play Lps though and enjoy doing so, especially when I come across ones long forgotten.
    Streaming has never caught my interest, but who knows may be someday.

Quote :)
    See me, feel me, touch me, hear me.

22. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Wait-- you mean to tell me I can get stuff immediately, with no shipping charge, and actually see and feel it before I buy it? Really?? Man-- advancements in technology are just astonishing :D

Who'sTommy likes this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I realize downloading is easier aflac etc..

People still have a need for physical media..Human contact ya know touchy feely...

I have my vinyls cds thousands of em... Convenience as far as my phone I go with digital. I love to own a physical form of media. DVDs blu ray etc... It's a hassel at times with physical media as far as keeping up with it but it's a labor of love.. Just picked up cheaply

The Concert For Bangladesh [2 CD] George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Badfinger, Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston - The Concert For Bangladesh [2 CD] - Amazon.com Music »

From someone who downloaded this to their hard drive and sold it to me for $10:00 ..mint condition remastered...Love owning it physically ...To each their own how someone wants to own their media.

It's bad enough technology has limited us with physically enjoying our media with downloading aflac etc.. It has huge advantages as far as mobility but where is the physical human reaction you get with vinyls, cds? Love the sound of of me vinyls cds..especially my cd r burned comps...Nothing wrong with downloading aflac sound it just doesn't cut it for me. It's nice to know all these above options are still available. Personally as far as downloading, no one will tell me my ownership of sgt. Pepper has expired and that I have to purchase again. I've heard of this happening to people. Don't know if it's true, in case it is or will be one day I choose to own a physical copy of music cds vinyls make me feel like I own the master reel of a recording...not some record company..

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Does anyone 'scoff'...haven't noticed, and if they did I would question their intelligence.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Mostly people at school. One (stupid) girl actually said to me: "Streaming is the future. You're still buying CDs?" Didn't dignify it with a response of any kind.

CrazyCatz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.