Shipping 78 RPM records with their hard cardboard jacket

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by shnaggletooth, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

I know that there is a standard method of packaging 78 discs using cardboard squares to act as a sandwich, followed by wrapping the sandwich together with tape and placing it in a box with styrofoam peanuts.

But if the discs came with a hard cardboard "book" jacket, would leaving the discs inside the jacket and within their attached sleeves with cardboard squares placed on both sides of the sleeves work just as well (followed by the usual box and peanuts), or should I remove the discs from the jacket and sandwich them as above?

2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

no way anyone in human history has ever successfully shipped a 78 in the mail dawg. u gotta fly out there, rent a car, and drive it back

catherine19067 likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

If you try to ship an album (which is where the term originally came from) of 78 discs in that album they will arrive in shards. Pack the discs one by one and throw the empty album in the box.

Wally Swift likes this.
  4. catherine19067

catherine19067 New Member

Wawawawawait... so glad I read this. I am about to ship 78s for the first time. I have some that are sold in lots of 2-3 and some single, all without covers. Would they be OK sandwiched in cardboard and then placed in a cardboard record mailer? Or I need boxes?

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Follow these directions:

Shipping 78 rpm Records »

TLMusic likes this.
  6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Yup. This is the correct method. Follow these instructions and you should have no problems.

7. catherine19067

catherine19067 New Member

Ah! News to me. That will likely save me some problems. I will write "fragile" on the box but I sometimes wonder if they choose those boxes to play games with.

C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.