Gibson Music Inc. struggling?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GuildX700, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Discontinuing Stanton cartridges and styli, means I have NO LOVE whatsover if Gibson goes under. If I could buy genuine good quality 680 and 681 cartridges from Stanton, I'd use nothing else, the best blend between high performance and durable.

56GoldTop likes this.
  2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I'm not a big Gibson fan anyway. They don't even make the ES-355 anymore, which is the only Gibson product I'd ever use, so I just don't care what happens to that company.

3. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

The fact you basically have to buy from the custom shop to get decent quality out of Gibson these days is obscene. In Australia you are looking at minimum 5K for a custom shop. Who can afford that! A few years ago i played a bunch of new Les Pauls and was horrified at the quality. If you are charging almost 4K for a Les Paul custom the $800 Epiphone in the next isle down should have a better finish with better dressed frets!

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is not quite accurate. Example:

I just got a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe II and it is flawless and amazing, and I only paid $865 used with hard case, MSRP was $2400, typical street price new was only $1500!

Here she is all ready for strings of my choice, Daddario 10's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Guitar Center/Musicians Friend owe 'em (and everybody else in the business) a ****ton of money!

Can only self-finance so many millions before you have to collect some of it back...

6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I don't own a Gibson and have read all the caveats over the last few years, and despite those caveats I feel no guitar 'collection' is complete without a Les Paul. :)
    So with that in mind I might, MIGHT throw down for a wine Traditional III in the next week or so. I picked one up in a store last weekend and couldn't find fault. Looks and feels like a Standard to me. Gorgeous finish, classic trapezoid inlays, aged binding etc. Now to convince the wife that it's necessary. I'll come at her with the 'home improvement' angle. "Imagine, honey, how pretty this will look on the wall of the den between the black and sunburst Strats."

I sure hope they work through these tough times. Losing Gibson would be no different in my mind then losing Ford or Chevy.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. Somewhere between an obsolute yea versus nay, between GuildX700 great find, & troyvod's experience lies what I've experienced of Gibson QC. Not sayin I know a lot but from what I've heard & experienced from over 50 years of sampling the their work - it's always been a crap shoot.

My first Gibson buy, I'd played my share prior, was a used Melody Maker in '65, a decent little dirty slammer, with enough watts, that I bought for $85 & sold for 3 times that 5 years later.

I ordered a new LP Deluxe, the one with the Epi minis, in 1971 from a tiny local dealer & paid, I think, $385, about 100 hours worth of a typical young mans blue collar wages. When I ordered in '71 I'd looked at EVERY new LP I could find, about a dozen, there were no used ones, & except for a single Black Beauty, & they were uber popular because of CCR, all of those LP's were complete, & I do mean COMPLETE CR _ _ !!! Guess what though - that Lester was absolutely astonishing for QC & although it was probably about 11 lbs worth of pancaked wood I loved it.

I guess my point is the good ones are out there, they've always been expensive, & if you want a good one you have to be willing to work for it, pay your dues with cash for a Custom Shop & you'll do well, or hit the streets & find the "One".

Persoanlly tho, I just don't get the Gibson thing, many alternatives these days. To me it is just another hollowed out US corp consuming itself from the inside waiting for a postmortem - all from the typical flavor of the week accounting fraud derivative deal, tax avoidance maneuvers considered good corporate governance. Seems to me the only chance the company has is a single deep pockets buyer with a soul, maybe Paul Allen?

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

THIS is a Henry J.

[​IMG]

56GoldTop and 2channelforever like this.
  9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That's way too nice looking to be the Henry J. that runs Gibson. Oh, the stories I have about that guy. I won't touch a Gibson product made under his leadership.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My neighbor had an old Kaiser. It was a dark green. Wish I bought it from him.

11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Our lead player walked into the Robert M. Sides music store with an empty guitar case, and walked out with a 3 pickup Les Paul.

Seriously.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.