Metallica 2015 Remasters of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I have plenty of fun listening to the copies I already own. Wasting money on new copies which sound worse is what wouldn't be any fun to me.

Dorian75, hvbias, jriems and 4 others like this.
  2. MidnightCity

MidnightCity Forum Resident

Here's what I have currently..

Kill 'Em All:

1983 original Megaforce CD
    1987 Music For Nations 2xLP 45RPM DMM Vinyl
    1988 Elektra DMM Vinyl
    2015 MFiT WEB
    2016 Blackened Remastered CD

Ride The Lightning:

1984 original Elektra CD
    1984 Roadrunner Netherlands Vinyl
    2000 DCC Gold CD
    2015 MFiT WEB
    2016 Blackened Remastered CD

I haven't had much time to compare yet but will be doing so soon. My initial impressions of the 2016 CD releases are that they are louder than the originals (obviously) but aren't as bright and have thicker bass. I quite like them so far to be honest. You can just crank them and enjoy.

3. gsteenac

gsteenac Forum Resident

Hi guys,
    Can someone who purchased the regular (not the deluxe box) 2016 vinyl editions of KEA and RTL post some pictures of the inner sleeves and lyric sheet, which seems to be a miniature as one reviewer posted on amazon.
    It would be nice to have the original inner sleeves.

Thanks in advance!

4. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

:agree:

5. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Doesn't have to ever be this way.

If so called "engineers" would learn how to master a record properly and deliver a reissue that doesn't tear ones head off - this thread would be shorter and way more positive.

VP

Dorian75 likes this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

My head is still in place, and I'm still enjoying these sets, as many who have bought them are.

I think they did a fine job and they are not meant to replace what you have already. It's like listening to a new version of the album.

Also, I think a majority of this thread is positive.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I'm nitpicking here but I was thinking the Megaforce KEA CD came out in 1986 or 1987? I was thinking the same with the original Elektra RTL. I could be wrong on both counts though. I got my first CD player for Christmas in 1985 and I remember being excited to find both of these on CD a year or so later. Or it could just be that these were available but not being stocked at my local record shops until then.

8. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Glad you enjoy it!

VP

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Correct, there was never a Megaforce CD until 1987 - which is particularly strange, since Metallica had severed ties with them by that point! Must have been something worked out with Johnny Z beforehand.

10. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Elektra didn't buy the rights to KEA from Megaforce until 1988.

11. Combination

No, the actual deal was worked out years before that (though the actual release was in 1988). I've got an interview with Cliff from '86 actually talking about how KEA would be put out on Elektra in a few years' time, and that's rather eerie.

12. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Still making my way through the Ride box, so far I gotta say the highlight is Cliff saying how much he hates "Escape"

13. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Wow, I never knew that. I wonder why they grabbed RTL almost immediately but let KEA linger on Megaforce for 4 more years?

Did Elektra ever reissue the tracks from the "Whiplash" EP? I'm trying to remember but I don't think they did. I think the two live tracks ended up on a Music For Nations CD of "Jump In The Fire" but I'm not sure if they ever got a U.S. release. I don't think I've ever seen the "Special Neckbrace Remix" of "Whiplash" anywhere except on boots.

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It might have been part of the negotiations to leave KEA on Megaforce, so they could make money for a few years, not sure.

The special Neckbrace remix of Whiplash was on the Whiplash EP.

15. Combination

It was just something worked out between Zazula and the group - there were definitely some hurt feelings when they left for Elektra, no doubt about that.

Don't worry too much about that neckbrace remix - I never heard anything different on it!

Actually, I know Lars once mentioned that they had nothing to do with that Whiplash 12" - they had no control over Megaforce releasing that one.

16. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Did anybody realize that the Whiplash Neckbrace remix was sourced from vinyl ???

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Its not like it sucks or nothing like that but something is off with the bass drum in particular in parts on kea.
    Also comparing the 2016 to a original I challenge anyone to tell me the whole thing doesn't sound quite right
    like maybe a digital sheen or something I can't put my finger on its like some of the organic has been sucked
    off of it if that makes any sense. If you had nothing to compare it too its not so bad, its when you play it against the megaforce
    you hear whats missing. Like I said early on for a 20 spot its a winner but it could have been so much better imo.

At the end of the day I like that kids can get it. I ran into a 16 year old kid yesterday at walgreens who knows my son
    and he was going on to me about Metallica (he plays guitar) and how he loved the first four albums Justice being
    his favorite and asked me why they suck after that and i laughed. Told him it was the spirit of Cliff.
    This Kid also loved the band DEATH so hope exist right there for the future of metal.

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've always read that it's not a different mix, just has added reverb. And that's exactly how it sounds to me.

I just remembered I used to have that EP on Megaforce cassette. I bought it at a flea market more than 25 years ago. I have no idea what happened to it. Probably sold it after the black album came out. :uhhuh:

19. Combination

Right, if there's any difference at all (been so long since I've heard this), it's totally minimal. Like I'd mentioned, the band themselves never stood behind it.

rnranimal likes this.
  20. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

The neckbrace remix sounds like the same mix just mastered louder. There's audible distortion and harshness throughout the song to my ears.

rnranimal likes this.
  21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

It was sourced from vinyl, but with an average cartridge / stylus I think. I did my own rip some years ago and it sounds slightly better. Raise the level on the final cymbal beat and you will hear vinyl surface noise.

22. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Quick review of the Ride box. Vinyl sounds excellent, but my Rhino set is the better one. I love the DVD and the book is excellent. Overall an excellent release.

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  23. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I have original '80s Elektra CDs of KEA and RTL, do I need to bother with these reissues? My wallet hopes everyone says no but it would be cool to have these on vinyl.

24. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

On "Ride The Lightning" there is drop out of sound at the beginning of "Fade To Black". Is everyone experiencing this? I don't want to go through a exchange process with Amazon if this is on all the pressings. Sorry if covered before, I can't read the whole thread at the moment.

25. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I'm not much of a vinyl guy, but I just bought RTL this afternoon. Wow! I don't think I've ever heard this album like this since the 80s. I'm definitely going to have to get KEA now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.