Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That is true. Support could have been under the radar...if he has a "love" child. I'm not entertaining the idea, neither!

2. Grant

It's a movie with a script. You felt bad for Apollonia? What if she was more than happy to take her top off? Why does everything involving female nudity have to be sexist? And, for the slap, it's fake! It's a movie! Geez! People act like everything Prince wrote, recorded, or acted was autobiographical. Do people not understand that there is a difference between reality and Hollywood?

enro99 and Nostaljack like this.
  3. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

(I have a secret to confess: I've never seen Purple Rain or Under the Cherry Moon or Graffiti Bridge. Never. Judge me.)

djej likes this.
  4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm not entertaining it either. If there is one, great. There's ways of proving it. Someone credible would lead with that proof, not show off their wardrobe and makeup collection and, oh, did they tell you they're a musician? Until then, not even worth a thought.

Grant likes this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

guess its ok to speculate now...

6. Grant

There has been speculation all through this thread against the moderators' warnings. :sigh:

Nostaljack likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You are not alone, me neither.

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That was a great read and very funny, thanks for posting.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

and some chastising by the same folks who participate in it...

10. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

I love this.

Prince's 'Nothing Compares 2 U' Will Be Simulcast on Radio Stations Nationwide on Wednesday »

Prince's 'Nothing Compares 2 U' Will Be Simulcast on Radio Stations Nationwide on Wednesday

Stations will play the hit "7 hours and 13 days" after his passing.

The opening line from one of Prince's most beloved songs has sparked a tribute to the late icon, set to air on radio stations worldwide tomorrow (May 4).

KCMP (89.3 The Current) Minneapolis has invited stations to fete the legendary Minneapolis native by joining in a simulcast of Prince's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U," which he wrote in the mid-1980s and which Sinead O'Connor took to the top of theBillboard Hot 100 for four weeks in 1990; Prince's version reached No. 62 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs in 1994.

KCMP, and others, will air Prince's recording of "Nothing" at exactly 5:07 p.m. CT (6:07 ET/3:07 PT) tomorrow. Why that moment? It marks "7 hours and 13 days" since Prince's April 21 passing, referencing the song's famous opening lyric. "It's been 7 hours and 13 days, since you took your love away," Prince's version begins. "I go out every night and sleep all day, since you took your love away …"

Notably, O'Connor's version changed the time span to "7 hours and 15 days."

Among stations in the U.S. reportedly confirmed to join KCMP in the simulcast are tastemakers (and fellow public radio outlets) WFUV New York, WXPN Philadelphia and KEXP Seattle. People are encouraged to listen to a local participating station or streamthecurrent.org/listen, as well as tweet, Facebook or Instagram clips of themselves singing along, using the hashtag #NothingCompares2U.

"I think the shocking suddenness to Prince's passing and at such a young age have combined to throw the entire world for a loop," says KCMP program director Jim McGuinn. "Like [David] Bowie, Prince's music made us all more alive, more accepting, more open to being able to express who we are. But, like no artist in our lifetimes, Prince united people with his music. Black, white, young, old, rich, poor, he cut across all boundaries with music that touched on rock, funk, soul, pop, R&B, new wave and jazz, and the world responded."

McGuinn adds that in Minneapolis, even nearly two weeks after Prince's death, "It's impossible to go to dinner or a party or a water cooler without the conversation somehow sliding over to" the legend.

"We just wanted to honor the man we called our friend, and the music we all love, and thought that maybe we might be able to get radio stations all over the world to share this moment with fans who are missing this great artist."

sunspot42, flako, Dflow and 3 others like this.
  11. And close to squirrels

12. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

sunspot42, Fullbug, enro99 and 5 others like this.
  13. Grant

If you're trying to say I speculate, it's only about the music. His personal mess? No, I don't. Not once have I entertained the idea of his sexuality or having a love child. I have been consistent in that regard.

I may joke about some things.

14. Grant

I watched Purple Rain on VHS when it came out on home video in the 80s, but not since. I barely remember any of it except for those scenes that have been shown elsewhere or frequently talked about.

But, that's all I have seen. I have had no interest in watching the other two films or any of the concerts talked about in this thread.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

:tsk:

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Never saw UtCM.

bunglejerry and Nostaljack like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This has been an interesting thread. . . but I'm going to stop following it closely and reading every post because it has turned into "The Grant Show." :) (JK sort of).

19. You're talking about the wrong dude.

There's no speculation that there is a guy who claims he is Prince's son, who asked for a DNA test. That is a fact.

I don't think anyone in here is even claiming that any of these claims will bear fruit for the alleged child(ren).

Personally, one of the things I lamented was that Prince never had any children that we know of. He never contributed to the gene pool. So, the thought that Prince could have an actual heir, who could produce children, and grandchildren, etc., is quite enticing.

I'm reminded of the way that Hendrix's son was treated (and still is) and it sucks. The Hendrix estate won't even allow a DNA test, although Jimi's dad acknowledged the boy, and there is even evidence that Hendrix, himself, did too.

Times have changed, though. Like we said, if any claims are true, it will all come out in the wash.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I know! Mega-talent pursues music and direction to his own liking, alienating dwindling audiences until finally the club owner says "You're going to be playing to no one but yourself?" Ri-dic!

Mouthy, angry (but right) lesbian guitar player in the band mouths off to him? Like THAT would ever happen!!

Morris Day fronting a hot band? Get outta here...! ;)

ConnieGuitar and Cubbiegirl like this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

If by "not once" you mean you have done it multiple times in this thread alone.

Done A Ton likes this.
  22. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

$top it you all! Prince i$ my father! Look at my forum name! Give me the $$$!

Look, me at 7!$

[​IMG]

BTW the Purple Rain re-relea$e is probably DCPs. (ie $ame as Blu-ray projected on the $creen). I would love to $ee it again in a true film print with the original mix.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Nice try. Prince's child would be named 7Tn.

24. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

There was one here in Wellington at a cinema round the corner from us. But it was a work night and it was a late showing so I couldn't go...damn them! Why couldn't they have put it on a Friday or Saturday??!!

25. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

JDeanB, seventeen and TonyCzar like this.