The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Oh, I have no problem with discussing Burns' series, Jacline, it's just a lightning-rod topic that's rife with peril. I'm glad you liked it!

Jacline likes this.
  2. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Ha! Look at him go!

From 1970, it says. He had been playing this since the 1940s, right? What a glorious fool! :)

3. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Your welcome! Manteca is a loose swinging version that borders on rowdy at times. The boys were having some fun
    on this session and it clearly comes through in the recording.

Jacline likes this.
  4. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

The clip I posted is not at all what you meant, BluTom, but Dizzy's pitch black afro + sunglasses+ medallion (bling!) kind of caught my eye. Please forgive me. :)

BluTom likes this.
  5. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

NP:

[​IMG]

Top 3 Coltrane for me (Crescent, First Meditations)

6. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

(Still have not had dinner. I'm a jazz fanatic Loony Tune.)

And, yes, this will do the trick right now
    --> this marvelous thing:

1957: Cliff Jordan, John Gilmore, Horace Silver, and Art Blakey.

("Uh, Art? Could you please tone it down a little at the beginning? Be more subtle, maybe? And at the end, too? And please stop groaning like Animal on the Muppet Show?"

"Yeah? **** YOU.")

Sound is not too bad in the clip.

Somebody in here must own Blowing in from Chicago on an extra excellent sound quality vinyl? I only have it on MP3 and it blows my poor sluggish mind. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

My Top 15 and counting Coltrane are a little different than yours, I'm sure, Muggles, but I see we attend the same church. That's good. :wave:

Muggles likes this.
  8. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

[​IMG]

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Being in Europe, seeing new things, does make up for missing shows.

Jacline likes this.
  10. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Ha! :righton: See you there on Sunday, Monsignor Muggles!

EDIT: Is it still up and running, that church, BTW?

11. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Charlie Parker at Storyville

[​IMG]

12. Cactus Bob

Sir Charles Thompson and the Hawk ~ For The Ears

t- Emmett Berry; tb- Benny Morton; as- Earle Warren; ts- Coleman Hawkins; p- Sir Charles Thompson; g- Steve Jordan; b- Aaron Bell; d- Osie Johnson

August 16, 1954

[​IMG]

13. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

With my partner running the Vitamix in the background (good grief... it's 9 o'clock on a school night, baby... :shake:), I managed to hear some of this on Allmusic. Not bad! A bit soft for me, Cactus Bob, but an album I didn't know about. Thank you!

Now, would you like some kale juice? :shake:

Cactus Bob likes this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Charlie Rouse, YEAH (Epic, 1961). This material was issued in the U.S. on the CD UNSUNG HERO, with a different track order, but I'm listening now to the recent Jazz Connoisseur Sony / Legacy reissue with original title and cover art and track order. With Billy Gardner piano, Peck Morrison bass, and Dave Bailey drums on the originally issued 6 LP tracks. The CD adds 3 other cuts with the great lineup of Gildo Mahones piano, Reggie Workman bass, and Art Taylor drums, including a phenomenal "When Sunny Gets Blue." I have not yet A/B compared this disc with the old UNSUNG HERO release, will do that sometime soon.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Japanese CD reissues of the 2 albums these 9 Rouse tracks originally appeared on, Yeah! and We Paid Our Dues!, which was shared with Seldon Powell. Great music!

[​IMG]

16. Cactus Bob

The Benny Golson Sextet ~ The Modern Touch[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Sonny Rollins, THE CONTEMPORARY LEADERS PLUS (Victor Japan VDJ-1552, a 1986 CD reissue). This is an interesting one in that it includes one more track than the other CD editions I am aware of (U.S. OJC, DCC Gold, XRCD). All of those have the same alternate takes of "I've Found a New Baby" and "The Song As You" that are on this disc, but it also contains an alternate take of "You" whereas the others do not (I guess that is why the "Plus" designation in the title and the somewhat different cover art than the original album). Anyway it's a very nice sounding disc, mastered by Dan Hersch.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just found a copy of Unity by Larry Young (on Blue Note Japan.) Killed me on first listen, so I listened again this a.m. over coffee ... wOw.

Sidebar: I have very little jazz in my collection, but what I do have is Blue Note (and a few ECM titles, mainly due to my love of John Abercombie.) My plan is to accumulate Blue Note titles in future, and learn about jazz that way (I seem to love hard bop ...)

Is this a worthy plan?

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Congrats on the find! IMHO, in UNITY you have not only one of Blue Note's finest releases, but one of the greatest jazz albums on any label, by any configuration of musicians, ever. Truly one for the ages! I remember reading that it was given a coveted five-star ("crown") rating in the Penguin Guide to Jazz, back in the era when it was a very hard to find title in any form, and thinking "could it really be that good?" Then when I finally heard it (as part of the Larry Young on Blue Note boxed set released on Mosaic), the answer was "Yes, yes it can..." :laugh:

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thank you for mentioning this set! I had no idea about this release until your post. According to the link, these are mastered by Steve Hoffman! I am in...just ordered a copy. With shipping from Japan to U.S. added, the price comes to just over $30 per SACD, which is really quite reasonable. Possibly these discs will eventually see individual release, but I didn't want to take any chances!

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jessica Williams - It's Jessica's Time (Red & Blue)
    Recorded at Jazz Alley, her regular spot since moving to Washington but I think the venue has made some changes in the music they offer so I don't think she's p,ayng there now but she recorded a lot of shows there and released them over the years. This is solo piano for those who care.

ronfint likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's interesting. I wonder why Steve hasn't mentioned it?

23. Fastnbulbous

Stan Getz - Serenity... Kenny Barron(p) Rufus Reid (b) Victor Lewis (d). "Voyage", a Barron original, and the evergreen "On Green Dolphin St." highlight this quite diverse and engaging collection from 1987.

[​IMG]

24. Fastnbulbous

You could certainly do worse--you might want to focus on albums engineered by Rudy Van Gelder. He did a lot of classic Blue Notes and Prestige titles (including Unity). Always clear vibrant sound with RVG,

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I think all the Blue Notes I have (a dozen titles, maybe more ...) are RVG. They sound like there's minimal processing, just a handful of mics in his front room. Totally direct, unfussy, maybe a tiny bit of balancing in mixing (if there was much mixing!)

You are right ... great sound.

DrJ likes this.