Upcoming Prince Vinyl Reissues Unveiled Throughout This Year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisperinwind21

whisperinwind21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are pre-order links at Amazon for these releases as well.

2. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Is this the same campaign that reissue Purple Rain, 1999 and a few others some years ago? If so , were those any good, just to have an indicator on how the new ones could turn out

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It was issued on vinyl upon release, but only in Europe. However, there was a US promo LP released too, and it has remixes of Letitgo on Side 4.

chacha likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I only bought Purple Rain. I found it to be very similar to the original, Bernie Grundman cut. Based on that experience, I passed on all the others, so I can't comment on them. Original Bernie Grundman pressings are fantastic, IMHO.

5. whisperinwind21

Those were from 2011, and they seemed to get solid reception on here. There were news reports that vinyl reissues for the other albums were coming out months before Prince's passing this year.

andres lira likes this.
  6. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Wow, seeing the words "NPG" on a copy of For You is, in a sense, a validation of everything Prince fought decades for. It's enormously satisfying to see that. And weirdly closure-providing.

Have CD copies had the NPG logo on them for the past couple of years? Or is this the first?

jimhb, EVOLVIST, ad180 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Sooo.... does anyone know is the "single disc" is a mistake for Diamonds And Pearls and O+> ? I want both on vinyl (same with Black Album and Come... have original pressings of everything else) but Amazon saying they're 1-disc kind of worries me a bit given that both albums are well over an hour.

8. whisperinwind21

These will be the first. If Warners represses/restocks the original 1980s CD versions of these albums, it would be be interesting if they have the NPG logo on them. I don't know how that will be facilitated, as it's unclear of whether Warners has the jurisdiction of repressing albums without Prince's consent. Also, with Prince's passing, we really don't know what else in in the works. Somehow, I do see a possible remaster for Purple Rain in the near future. Prince revealed in an interview with Ebony Magazine that he was working on a greatest hits compilation, but gave no detailed indications of what was planned or intended for it.

Klassik and bunglejerry like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Why no 1999 and Purple Rain?

10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Great to see these getting re-issued. Never had the latter 2 on vinyl so this is fantastic news. Lost my copies of the former over time (TBA was a boot, admittedly) and it'll be nice to replace them. I hope they do the holographic cover for D&P!

Now, let's see the next couple get re-issued in 2017!

11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I'm assuming that they - plus Controversy & Dirty Mind - have always been in print?

12. whisperinwind21

I'll have to read more thoroughly into the licensing conflicts between Warners and NPG when it came to the final (pre-Art Official Age/PlectrumElectrum) albums for Warners. The information regarding how and why The Gold Experience was delayed in 1994 is blurry for me.

13. whisperinwind21

They have already been reissued in 2011 and remastered by Bernie Grundman at RTI on 180 gram vinyl.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    jimhb and Bowieboy like this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Check the Star Tribune article. They say exactly that.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's too bad because those haven't been commanding huge prices on the used market in the last couple years. I bought both D&P and the symbol album within the last year and they were fairly affordable.

16. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Nice! I'm in for The Black Album, Diamonds and Pearls, and Come. I'm fortunate to have the rest.

Bowieboy likes this.
  17. bunglejerry

It'd be interesting to see some of the NPG-era stuff that never came out on vinyl get a vinyl reissue. Like, what would a vinyl Emancipation look like?

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I know! I'm guessing 6-LP set!

bunglejerry likes this.
  19. bunglejerry

Ah but what about the significance of all three discs clocking in at 60:00 and how that had something to do with the Egyptian pyramids (I swear that wasn't just a hallucination but something Prince actually said at the time)?

Ain't nothing mystical about a 30-something-minute running time... :)

20. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

oh geesh, that'd probably go for $100

21. they were reissued several years ago

Bowieboy likes this.
  22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yeah, in the back of my mind, I thought "that should just be CD only." And you have just told me exactly why. :)

bunglejerry likes this.
  23. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Of these 4, the Dirty Mind RTI vinyl is the big win.
    It sounds fantastic and my vinyl is perfect.
    Purple Rain is unfortunately pretty shrill in all formats, but I am glad I have this one from RTI because the album is just so great and the pressing is good.
    I spun my Let's Go Crazy 12" remix recently and it has the same sharpness to it, so it must be what was intended at the time.

I found a US promo Come LP at Amoeba a few years ago for something like 4 bucks - was so excited and later realized I didn't have all the tracks - it was a double LP release.
    They had 2 and I should have read the label more carefully.
    Anyway the one I got has all of my favorite tracks on it - Come, Space and Pheromone - and, in the end, it's not a big improvement over the CD anyway.

I hope these new pressings kick butt.
    Glad to see the release dates spread out so they can maintain good quality control.
    I am in for Parade at the least even though my original vinyl is really good - I love that album so much that I just have to.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

If Chris Bellman is cutting these, then I suspect The Black Album, Come and Diamonds and Pearls will be big improvements over the released versions (I haven't heard a 1987 Black Album but I have a counterfeit of that version that sounds better than the official 1997 US promo!!).

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If anyone deserves a lavish box set, its Prince.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.