Ugly but nice! Found some Epicure M50 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally got these dialed in after a looooong time working with them. What I like about their sound is that, using two drivers, it somehow manages a very horn-like sound. There's this seriously clean midband. It's a little AM at times, but that's just what the horn sound is to me. Some association I make. It's a classic sound. It's like a big outdoor monitor sound which, really, is what we DO hear at concerts.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I used to live in Peabiddy, then we moved to Mahblehet.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is The King's Rook still there? Man, that was one of my most cherished places, before someone else took over and added pink curtains.

4. action pact

Hmm, I'm not sure... I don't get up to the North Shore very often.

Pink curtains.... Snicker....

5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I thought you said Marblehead.

6. action pact

That was back in the 70s...

I then spent 26 years in Pennsylvania and then San Francisco, only to end up back here in Massachusetts, in Lexington this time.

7. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Those Epicures were my first speakers. I loved em and they sounded great powered by my Pioneer SX 434 receiver. Those Burhoe inverted tweeters sounded really sweet. I moved up to the 100's at some point...those offered a little more bottom. I always keep my eye open for the M 50's though. If I see a pair in reasonable condition, I'll grab em.

Ghostworld, Fiddlefye and timztunz like this.
  8. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That's funny. You resurrect a year old thread about an obscure speaker mentioning that you had a pair and I just happen to see your post and I had a pair too! At the time I thought it was a pretty darn good little speaker!

9. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Somehow came across your post and thought you might enjoy hearing that others felt the same about that little speaker. I live in Connecticut, so they sold tons of them here. The reaction when I played these for others was usually "holy shyt"... lol.

Ghostworld, Fiddlefye and timztunz like this.
  10. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Over the years I've had people tell me they prefer how the M50 sounds when I've had other, "better" speakers in the house to compare them to. They just work really well.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.