Advice on what to upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 6l6klipsch, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6l6klipsch

6l6klipsch Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know these threads come up frequently (sorry), but I'm hoping for a little advice on what upgrade you think will make the most impact in my system. I'm currently running a Raven Audio Nighthawk MK2 integrated, with a Rogue Audio Stealth Phono Pre, and a cleaned up AR-XA with a Denon DL-110. Speakers are B&W 602.5 S2's and I use a BIC F12 sub.

Here's what I'm thinking, with a budget of ~$1k;
    • Dedicated power line
    • Speaker upgrade (Vandersteen 1c?)
    • Turntable and/or Cartridge upgrade
    • Tubed phono pre (Ear 834?)
    The system as-is is pretty good - especially after adding the Nighthawk. Vinyl playback is my main concern, and I'd like more detail and smoothness across the board. Because of this, I'm thinking about a tubed phono pre, but I know my speakers and table could also use an upgrade.

I appreciate any opinions!

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I would start with more sensitive speakers.

Rolltide likes this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm pretty much a source-first guy, and even I would say speakers by a mile. Those Vandersteens would work and I'd check out Zu Audio for high efficiency speakers in that price point as well.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Vandersteen 1Cs are fantastic speakers for the money. Do that first.

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Great, one more good suggestion for my list in the 1000 catagory,lol
    Tekton Lore
    Monitor Audio Silver 6
    ELAC-UF5 Coming in a couple weeks
    Vandersteen 1C
    Don't mean to threadjack, just marking a list, I'm on the hunt also :)

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Don't buy the Tekton without listening to them unless you get a good used deal.

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks for the tip, appreciated :cheers:

timind likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I like the 1Cs too, but I don’t know if your amp has the power to get the most out of them. As others have suggested, I would look at more efficient speakers. If you have local shop, try your amp with the 1Cs if you like. I had a 30 watt Class A hybrid amp with 1Bs for a long time, and it was just enough on most music.

9. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Speakers first. Power cable last or maybe never as it is the least bang for the buck. Consider using a portion of the budget for new good condition records. The best upgrade after speakers and perhaps room tweaks is expanding your source material and it's quality. Perhaps a decent record cleaning device as well. It all starts with the program material. After speakers cartridge will give you the biggest upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.