How do you avoid record club editions when buying on eBay?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Rob9874, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I have some great record club editions, but they, like ex library sell on very cheaply.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Having been a long time seller on eBay with about a +4000 record, I have a lot of experience in how to be a good seller. And that includes full disclosure of all defects when you're selling something. If I happen to miss a problem, I consider that my fault and either offer a substantial discount or a full refund and I pay return (or they keep it and I do a full refund). If it's not my mistake, things can go differently. But when it's my mistake, I eat it. And missing a defect is my mistake.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Sorry 'bout that, but I assumed you meant as a buyer . . . My point was, "Good luck assuming as a buyer that all sellers reveal record club editions." As a seller, however, your assumption is to be commended.

4. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I think if it matters to someone as a buyer (and it does matter to me as a buyer), then I think it is the responsibility of the buyer to ask. I always ask if there is no actual photo. Record club editions don't matter to all buyers and sellers.

5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

A clear photograph of the record label will instantly reveal if an advertised record is a record club edition or not. If uncertain about catalog numbers, check discogs or popsike and compare what you see on the pictured label. Problem solved.

6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Simple, I see record club editions as a defect and as a seller, these would be fully disclosed. I'd expect the same of any other seller.

Gumboo and Rob9874 like this.
  7. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I generally avoid record club editions. But, if I had been looking for a title for many years and the first copy I came across was a record club version, I would buy it without hesitation or complaint.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, the title comes up often, but I was holding out for a NM copy.

9. Spanish Prisoner

I think the larger point is that you were looking for something specific for years (whether it's a title or condition is not relevant) and finally found it.

Maybe you should focus on enjoying the album and the fact that you can cross this title off of your wish list.

If you ever come across another NM copy of this title with an intact UPC, than you can re-sell the record club version.

10. Rob9874

Yeah, I considered that, but I paid $20 for a $7 album. Think it should be the one I wanted.

11. Spanish Prisoner

Sorry, I'm not real sympathetic. If you've spent years searching for a non-record club copy of this title in NM condition, than I think you should have verified this with the seller.

Also, if this is a $7 album, than it sounds like a pretty common pressing.

So, at the risk of asking a silly question, why would it take years to find a NM copy of a fairly common and inexpensive album?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

In Classical there some great record club editions, try some of the Readers Digest, Concert Hall and World record Club recorded by the first label guys, just a different label.

13. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

OP, well it looks like some people are attempting twist it into being your fault. Don't let them!
    Don't waste your time answering those humbug posters. It is the seller who is 100% to blame here.
    Take it up with the seller as "not as described" and get your money back!

14. Spanish Prisoner

Is there a rule on ebay that record club editions should be to be identified as such in the item's description?

If yes, then it's the seller's fault for not identifying the item correctly, if no, then the buyer is at least partially at fault for not verifying the type of pressing that this was.

15. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Whether the answer is yes or no, the buyer is not even remotely at fault.

16. Spanish Prisoner

Not necessarily.

17. Rob9874

I got the refund, that part is over. I have no remorse for returning it. I am an eBay seller more than I am a record collector, and I am passionate about providing world class customer service to my buyers, and don't feel bad when I demand it as a buyer myself. People are turning this into more than it is. Look, this isn't my holy grail record. It's a common record that when I think about looking for, I find average issues. Since it's so cheap, I eld off. A few weeks ago, I found a NM copy for $20, so I got it. It's not like it ended a years long search for something I needed badly.

Like I said before, this wasn't a post about whether or not I should have returned it. That decision was made and I never second guessed it. I was more asking how you avoid record club issues. The opinions I got was that I need to ask every seller before buying on eBay. Which I did this week on a different title, asking if there were any notches in a sealed album they were offering. The buyer seemed perturbed. Their response was, "We would have indicated any notch marks or saw cuts in the cover condition."

Gumboo likes this.
  18. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

So the question is, "How do you avoid record club editions when buying on eBay?"

I've bought hundreds of records from eBay sellers from all over the world, and never once got stuck with a record club copy. Sure, pretty much every other problem, including inaccurate grading, warps, poor packaging, dirt and mildew, but never a record club copy.

Last night I was reminded of this thread, as I was looking on eBay for a clean copy of a relatively common and not so valuable 1970s LP. As I went down the list, I looked at all the pictures accompanying each ad. The couple ads that didn't have clear pictures were immediately crossed off the list, I suppose if I really needed to know it would have been possible to email those sellers, but it didn't seem worth it.

The remaining ads had enough pictures to instantly discern the record club copies, which I was surprised to note made up at least 30% of the copies for sale. The record club copies clearly had "Mfd. By RCA Music Service under license" pictured on both the labels and back of the jacket. Incidentally, not one of the ads featuring a record club copy made mention of the fact, but it was plain to see the record club writing on the labels and jackets in the pictures.

I didn't want a record club copy, or a non-US pressing, so I bought a copy that had the standard US labels, and a jacket with the original catalog number and no record club identifier.

Lost In The Flood, JMR and Rob9874 like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Did you send an apologetic reply email:

"I'm sorry. Some of the people on Stevehoffman.Tv told me that I needed to treat professional sellers like incompetents because some sellers are shysters."

Rodz42, Gumboo and Rob9874 like this.
  20. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I have noticed lately, some club edition records are commanding higher prices than the regular issues. Some of Madonna's come to mind.

Rodz42 likes this.
  21. Spanish Prisoner

Do most common records in NM condition go for $20 these days? That seems like quite a lot.

I'm strictly a CD buyer and rarely pay more than $7 or $8 for a disc, often much less.

I generally avoid record club editions of CD's. The one exception is when the record club version is the only way to get a title in a jewel case.

22. I personally always ask for deadwax info. I just see that as my responsibility. If it's the matrices I'm after, I don't care if it's a record club copy.

23. Rob9874

The seller relisted it, with no mention of it being a record club issue.

24. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Can you provide a link to the offer?

25. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

One might think the seller would mention it now that he has been through a return. Instead we see seller just does not give a crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.