Scorpions - 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Yes, that was probably the toughest one for me to find. The bad thing is there really isn't another one that sounds good. But it's worth the money, because the ND German sounds great and can be cranked.

DoF likes this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Gonna check Fly To The Rainbow CD they sell at local mall, it is brand new and dirty cheap, 5 bucks only.

3. 32XD Japan1

If it's the US RCA from '88 or '89 I recommended, it's the best sounding one out there. It's the only one of the US RCA's that beat the ND German series.

DoF likes this.
  4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Great. Bought them brand new last year, shrink-wrapped, with annoying sticker-seal on the verge of the jewel boxes.

5. 32XD Japan1

Did they have a silver sticker on the shrink wrap that said remastered?

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I've noticed they make replicas sometimes, even with discog you cannot tell exactly the year of (re)pressing.

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

No stickers at all, but somekind of a seal like the one pictured here [​IMG]

8. 32XD Japan1

This is the one I have - Scorpions - Fly To The Rainbow »

It says remastered but it really isn't, it's just from a better source tape and slightly eq'd. No compression. And it's ADD, not AAD.

9. 32XD Japan1

No that's not what I mean.

10. DoF

DoF Less is more...

They did not have a silver sticker on the shrink wrap saying remastered.

11. 32XD Japan1

That's good, when I bought the 97 remasters new back then they did. Based on your waveforms, if they were remastered the amplitude of the waveforms would be taller.

DoF likes this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

If I buy it, gonna post some waveforms today.

13. 32XD Japan1

Post the peak levels for each track using EAC or Foobar, I'll tell you if they match mine. Then you will know if it's the same mastering.

14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

They sound good. Bought Taken by Force from this 50th anniv., edition, and it is a total disaster. Avoid.

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Never done it before. You mean something like this: View image: make it real track peak »

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

What went wrong with the bonus material?
    I assumed the entire Tokyo`79 show was recorded?
    My Grey area cd sounds superior to the travesty officially released!!!?:yawn:
    Nothing absolutely Nothing can atone for this blatent failure.:imwithstupid:

The source and content is far inferior.The mastering is unacceptable.

17. DoF

DoF Less is more...

18. DoF

DoF Less is more...

19. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Original Scorpions vinyl (or even early reissue stuff) is getting harder and harder to find - particularly here in the UK. I've been trying to pick up their RCA and earlyish Harvest back catalogue for ages with little real success. The prices for the good stuff in really nice condition are getting silly and that's a real shame as far as I am concerned. Virgin Killer and In Trance, in particular, are becoming expensive - and I'm not just talking about the first cover VK either (I'd like a copy for the production values but I don't think I could reconcile myself with owning 'that' image - what the heck were they thinking...!).

These albums were plentiful and cheap once upon a time. But not any more. Oh for an orange RCA label copy of In Trance without the usual ringwear!

The other one that escapes me totally is an original copy of Lovedrive with the printed inner sleeve. It was never released in the UK with a printed inner but was in Germany and (I think) in the US and possibly in other territories as well. I utterly need that LP - not for any 'pervy' reasons (though at least she's an adult this time...) but because it bugs the heck out of me that my UK copy is 'incomplete' (and its a Fame reissue to boot...). I note that the current reissued vinyl contains a printed inner though not the same one as in the original. And, it seems, it is compressed to death.

Sigh...

32XD Japan1 and DoF like this.
  20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I cannot get over anniv. edition of Tokyo Tapes. Is the 2001 remaster any good? Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes »

I can buy it dirty cheap, like 10$.

21. 32XD Japan1

It's remastered from 2001. I would avoid it. This is the one to get. Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes »

Holy Diver likes this.
  22. DoF

DoF Less is more...

23. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Got this today: Scorpions ‎– Lonesome Crow. It looks like this Scorpions - Lonesome Crow » but has made in France instead of made in uk on the CD

24. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

No it's not. Get this set, it features the RCA Germany masterings of these three albums. Look for it elsewhere though, that Amazon price is silly
    Scorpions - Original Album Classics - Amazon.com Music »

DoF likes this.
  25. 32XD Japan1

I am unable to view the links you posted, so......here are the peak values generated by Foobar's replay gain feature.
    You can compare them to your versions.

Fly To The Rainbow (1987, RCA, 5057-2-R, USA)
    Track 1 .819611
    Track 2 .911957
    Track 3 .899048
    Track 4 .787445
    Track 5 .99969
    Track 6 .990509
    Track 7 .831573

Lovedrive (1988, EMI, CDP 7 46733 2, UK)
    Track 1 .700958
    Track 2 .734070
    Track 3 .783264
    Track 4 .775970
    Track 5 .718079
    Track 6 .684631
    Track 7 .756134
    Track 8 .812317

Hope this helps.

DoF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.