SACD Owners Beware

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Regarding the dependability of late model Sony Blu-ray players, my BDP-S380 player has been chugging along since 2011. I'm pretty sure that the only thing Sony about this player is the name on the box. That is good thing.

2. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

So I have been a long time lurker on here until I noticed this thread which made me join. I am just getting into SACDs and have about 15 so far but am definitely wanting to expand that but I need to buy an SACD player. Right now my Rotel is an HDCD player which I own a few of those, but not many. I have been looking at the Marantz SA8005 SACD player....from the reviews I have read and the budget I have it fits perfectly but should I be cautious to not buy it if the horizon shows a dooming end to the SACD format or should I buy it so I can get the most of my current SACD collection and hope that the player lasts awhile and enjoy it while I can? I have a long SACD list I will be buying soon but will hesitate if its going to 100% disappear....

3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Forget about dooming. Just buy it and enjoy it.

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

FWIW, one mom-and-pop operation has bid goodbye to making its DSD DAC:

It's just one anecdote, in a niche market. I'm not waving their flag.

tl;dr version, if you don't want to watch:

Principals of Schitt audio reflect on DSD and MQA:

1) our DSD-compatible hardware was not flying out the door. We were glad to retire it.

2) "pure" DSD is in fact a rare beast

3) Looking ahead, we don't see industry-wide adoption.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Okay I think i'll bite the bullet and do it.... I'm saving up for that and a pair of Totem Hawks and want to buy both at once so it'll be about $2700 all together I'm guessing.... I get my audio equipment at cost so I'm lucky with that but I can't wait to hear what a SACD player brings out of those discs! Thanks!!

Randy Goldberg and formu_la like this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

SACD was always niche. DSD even moreso.

These days we have so many formats it's almost impossible for smaller (or even larger) operations to keep up. I'd rather they focused on getting core stuff in place that people find really beneficial, like implementing gapless functionality properly.
    Buy a decent SACD player (of which the SA8005 is one) and forget the hassles. It's all down to the mastering anyway in the end and less so the format. IMO of course.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting into DSD downloads. PCM is just as good IMO.

sunspot42 and Linger63 like this.
  8. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

I have heard some very good demos from going to a few Sony events pushing their HAP series HiRez player and DSD sounds pretty damn good....BUT...my only complaint is that I don't like paying for downloads. I like to have a physical copy of all my albums because I can't trust a hard drive to keep my stuff safe. Whats PCM?? I have seen that mentioned but have no clue what it is...

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was tempted to get into downloaded hirez files and I bought a Pono to investigate. While I like the sound quality I have found so far that like most things, the mastering is more important as already stated here. If I was thirty YO I would consider going the hirez file route but I'm much older than that and I've got a big enough music collection to satisfy me to the end, even if I never bought another piece of music. Better to spend that money on other things like travel. So for me it's not a question of what is better sounding. It's more about practicality at my age. If I felt like I was missing something I might think differently but I have yet to hear a music file that improves what I already have to a level that would make me buy more hardware.

tank64 likes this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think paying for non-copy-"protected" downloads beats the value prospect of buying locked-up SACDs. You can archive your downloaded stuff to 2 locations in parallel: a robust hard drive solution and optical media such as DVD-R.

Interesting race against time: which will die first? one's download-stuffed hard drive or one's ability to get SACD hardware?

jukes likes this.
  11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Tell me about it. My AVR failed after 103 weeks (fortunately a 2 year warranty) The repair failed twice and now sitting at the repairer whilst they wait on a part (motherboard) which is now expected 08/08/16!

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Colin, you do realize that the odds are good that they are never going to get the MB?

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What AVR is it? You should be given a new AVR as it's quite obvious it's a lemon and you won't have it for 4 months.

Bill

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Think I'd be looking at the Sale of Goods Act very closely here...! Goods fit for purpose and all that..!

15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I do not know the answer but I can and do clone copies of my hard-drive so that I can have the files forever.

Claude likes this.
  16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Once I spoke directly with Pioneer and described the circumstances they quickly shipped me a loaner.

I am now a strong a believer in kit that is too basic to support a self destruct microchip.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's a living.

[​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know, but that's what shows up on my Oppo display when playing hi-res other than dsd, and sounds amazing.

19. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Pulse-code modulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

21. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

The Fall of Sony will make a great dissertation for a smart college student.

TarnishedEars and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

They sure do it to themselves.

23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

A little off topic, but I just bought my first SACD player yesterday(used) and am looking for some musical suggestions that sound great. Pretty flexible in taste, I listen to jazz, blues, rock, acoustic, vocals etc. Just looking for great recordings that really wow for 2 channel playback.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

There aren't many blues SACDs, and a lot of them are out of print, but most of the ones I have sound good.

There are 3 or 4 by Keb Mo
    Almost all of the releases on the JSP label are good.
    2 discs by Terry Evans on Audioquest.
    The Hot Spot Soundtrack on Analogue Productions is recommended and should still be easy to find.
    There also the SRV box set but that will cost you a ton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.